Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
lfbdfn

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
ZL1 Convertible without the 5 Performance Modes

Any one know what I can do to get the 5 performance modes installed in my 2013 ZL1 vert?
GM decided at the last minute to omit them in the new ZL1 vert. Originally in the 2013 manual stating it would have at least 4 of the performance modes then manufactured them without them, just a Sport mode that doesn't even work well.
lfbdfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
WTF? This is the first I've heard of it! Got to be disappointing. Any reasons given?

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
lfbdfn

WTF is right!

The only reason I've been given by those supposedly in the know (worked with GM in past) is that they are protecting themselves legally as they suppose the vert is not safe enough to have the 5 PTM modes.
My motto is "cars don't kill people, people kill people".
Old 11-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
The ZL1 Convertible has the same standard Tour and Sport magnetic ride modes as the ZL1 Coupe does. Since GM believes that the ZL1 Convertible will be mainly used for pleasure driving rather than for serious track applications, the ZL1 Convertible does not have the 5 PTM modes that the ZL1 Coupe has. Instead the ZL1 Convertible has a Competitive Driving Mode which allows full engine power while the StabiliTrak system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. In Competitive Driving Mode TCS is off and Launch Control is available. Competitive Driving Mode is selected by pressing th TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly two times. Competitive Driving Mode is for use at a closed track and is not intended for use on public roads.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
lfbdfn

Thanks for responding, GoldenBear.
The problem I have with GM is this: Brochure of Jan 2012 from GM states "2013 Convertible will have all of the performance features as the coupe". I have an automatic and thus I can't access the CDM/Launch mode and when I put it on Sport mode it performs worse than Tour mode. (I'll take it in to a local dealer to even determine what is happening in Sports mode as the manual isn't clear to me on that point).
The manual that came with the car clearly stated the ZL1 was to at least have 4 PTM modes for all ZL1s and then they stuffed in a "supplement page" to explaining it would not.
Problem is I was under the direct assumption, because of the previous brochure, I would be getting PTM modes as promised. By the time I found out it didn't have them it was too late to return the car. Even the dealership was astounded it didn't have them and called the factory to get them and found out they were never installed in the first place.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

I understand that it can be frustrating and annoying when one's expectations are not met.

My understanding is the the standard driving Tour and Sport modes are identical between the ZL1 Coupe and ZL1 Convertible, and they should behave the same way regardless of ZL1 Coupe or ZL1 Convertible. It's in the track intended modes, PTM (ZL1 Coupe) and Competitive Driving (ZL1 Convertible) modes, where the differences lie. We now know that the ZL1 Coupe has the 5 different PTM modes while the ZL1 Convertible has only the single Competitive Driving Mode.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #7
lfbdfn

Thanks again.
Well it sorta chokes on the Sport mode so I'll have to take it into a dealer to see what's up with it.
On Tour mode it runs more like a car with 580 HP, smooth, powerful and very fast!
I'd be at least more satisfied if on Sport mode it even performed better than Tour mode.
I can't imagine what this car would have done if it had all 5 modes!
Well, I think I could imagine it!
But would I have ordered it if it didn't have all 5 modes, knowing that before I bought it?
Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

From the behavior that you describe it appears as if your vehicle may have a problem.

The Tour and Sport modes should have no effect on the engine power modification or braking functions that are employed by the TCS and StabiliTrak systems since the Tour and Sport modes change only the Magnetic Ride suspension and the Electric Power Steering settings, and have no effect on TCS and StabiliTrak functionality.

Only the PTM and Competitive Driving modes have an effect on the Traction Control and StabiliTrak Systems that control the engine power modification and braking functions.

The vehicle should not exhibit any difference in engine performance or power between the Tour and Sport modes, as those modes are intended only to provide different suspension and steering feels and do not affect engine power or performance or braking.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
lfbdfn

Thanks for all of your help.
I'm taking it in to the dealer today to have them check it out.
How do you like your ZL1 Vert?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfbdfn View Post
Any one know what I can do to get the 5 performance modes installed in my 2013 ZL1 vert?
GM decided at the last minute to omit them in the new ZL1 vert. Originally in the 2013 manual stating it would have at least 4 of the performance modes then manufactured them without them, just a Sport mode that doesn't even work well.
I was disappointed when I found this out as well. But the information has been out there now for a little while. We pick up our vert Z next week!

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyers View Post
I was disappointed when I found this out as well. But the information has been out there now for a little while. We pick up our vert Z next week!
Congratulations on the new Camaro! Show us pictures when you take delivery!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
Johnman

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 convertible IOM
I've noticed on my ZL1 vert that when you press the button twice, the traction and stability control warning lights come on, and you get a "Stabilitrack Performance Mode" message. If you simply hold the button down for several seconds, the warning lights both come on, but you get no "Stabilitrack" message. What is happening in this second mode? Is it the same, or is it all nannies completely off?
Johnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnman View Post
I've noticed on my ZL1 vert that when you press the button twice, the traction and stability control warning lights come on, and you get a "Stabilitrack Performance Mode" message. If you simply hold the button down for several seconds, the warning lights both come on, but you get no "Stabilitrack" message. What is happening in this second mode? Is it the same, or is it all nannies completely off?
When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed quickly two times, Competitive Driving Mode is selected, which is indicated by the Traction Control Off and StabiliTrack Off lights being illuminated on the dash with the StabiliTrak Performance Mode message being displayed on the DIC. In this mode full engine power is available while the StabiliTrak system helps maintain vehicle directional control by selective brake application, but TCS is off and Launch Control is available.

When the TCS/StabiliTrak button is pressed and held until the Traction Control Off light and StabiliTrak Off light are illuminated on the dash (no StabiliTrak message), TCS and StabiliTrak are turned off (i.e., all the "nannies" are completely off).
Old 11-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfbdfn View Post
Thanks for all of your help.
I'm taking it in to the dealer today to have them check it out.
How do you like your ZL1 Vert?
Did your dealer find any problems with your car?

So far I really like the way my ZL1 Convertible drives and handles. I love the top down driving. It really is civilized compared to the muscle cars of the 1960s and early 1970s. The shifter has a nice short throw and a very positive feel, and the clutch operates very smoothly. There doesn't appear to be much understeer, and there appears to be plenty of torque on demand regardless of where one is on the power band. Given all of its power, the car handles as if it were on rails, and all with the comfort of a Cadillac, A/C whenever one needs it, and a modern infotainment system. I have no real complaints at this point.