Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Am I understanding the reason for tuning?

I am currently waiting on my LS3 6M ordered a week ago and am in the process of educating myself as to what N/A mods I would like to make. I have spent a lot of the past few days reading though all of the information posted here as well as links to other tuning articles that folks have posted here to try and get a grasp on what tuning is and when it is needed (yes I am a noob to this).

Correct me if I am wrong here in my assumption but the main reason for tuning appears to be to adjust/optimize the air-to-fuel ratio for different throttle positions and rpm ranges. The stock tune that comes with the car is only capable of adjusting things plus/minus a couple of percent so if you add things like a CAI, long tube headers, etc, anything that really lets the LS3 breathe beyond what it came with from the factory the stock tune can't handle and you'd wind up running too lean.

If my simplified assumption is wrong please let me know. I am VERY early in the learning curve as I would eventually like to tune my own vehicle and I have 5 years or 100,000 miles to learn how to do it unless I say screw the warranty sooner.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Based on my own limited knowledge, I believe you are correct There's also a performance boost, to an extent.

Appearance Mods:
Heritage Grille, ZL1 Replica Wheels
Performance Mods:
Flowmaster ARH Cat-Back Exhaust, ADM CAI, ADM L99-LS3 Conversion, ADM LSA Supercharger Kit, Lingenfelter GT9 Cam, Stainless Power Headers, Detroit Speed Sway Bars, ZL1 Fuel Pump

581 rwhp/535 lb/ft tq
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
From what I've read, the Camaro is actually running on the rich side from the factory. Adding a CAI will most likely balance out your AFR (or at least get close).

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
on a L99 a tune is good for around 22 HP and 40 ft.lb. torque, some have added headers after a tune and only gotten 2 to 4 HP more. tune is most bang for your buck plus all your AF ratio and timing is optimized.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
It also can improve the performance of the auto trans immensely (and reduces wear as well).
Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
you are right. You are basically working with three variables - air, fuel, spark. For example, a new intake changes the amount of air your engine will flow, and tuning allows you to adjust the amount of fuel In order to keep an ideal air/fuel ratio to compensate for the additional airflow. A tune also let's you adjust spark timing to get a more efficient power stroke while preventing detonation.

There's a bunch of other stuff a tune can give you (enabling/disabling features like skip shift, dfco, torque management for auto trannies, etc) but what I said above is the simple version for tuning to add power.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I just added a Roto-Fab CAI and Solo Performance cat back and did not touch the tuning. It feels like I had it tuned because man what a difference! I have been told that with the Roto-Fab CAI a tune only nets 1-2 hp because it is so dialed in. Could be what was said about leaning out the AFM to where it should be by adding a CAI. I don't want to take any chance on warranty so I will sacrifice a couple HP for peace of mind!

After 7-7-14, when my 5 year runs out, I will go nuts with a cam, headers, and tune, till then I'm just going to enjoy what I have!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote