Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #1
twill84

Drives: 2012 Black RS Camaro
HELP...More Horsepower Wanted

Hello everyone,
Been a few years since I've been on! I really need some help adding anything that will help give me more horsepower torque etc. I have a V6 2012 RS and I'm located in Houston so if anyone know of any speed shops that can help me out please let me know. Thank you!
twill84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
bill522

Drives: 2014 LS Camaro
Look to Camaro V6 Performance Page on FB,,,best information around. Your budget will determine your HP. There is a S/C kit out there from Overkill ( William Rishworth)
bill522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Sell it and buy a V......nevermind.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #4
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Not much available for the v6 engine, I'd simply trade it for a v8 car and enjoy more power than the v6 will ever make.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Not too much mainstream stuff out there to add to the LFX.

Cold air intake;
80mm throttle body, ported (will require a 3.25" to 3.5" elbow for the intake);
Factory upper intake manifold, ported;
Intake manifold spacer, ported;
Factory lower intake manifold, ported;
High-flow cats or catless downpipes;
Cat-back;
Tune.

You can also get cams for the LFX by MACE Engineering but I haven't heard too much about them; some people get good results while others are not terribly convincing.

With the above intake/exhaust mods and a tune you'll see an extra ~40 - 50 HP, or around 300 HP to the wheels. The cams can add even more but, again, maybe not much more; someone on this board got 340 HP with cams, putting them up to almost a stock V8 which is pretty solid.

As mentioned there's also a supercharger available which could put you well over 400 HP, depending on your wallet size.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts

Last edited by KillboyPowerhead; 03-20-2020 at 07:52 AM.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
Not too much mainstream stuff out there to add to the LFX.

Cold air intake;
80mm throttle body, ported (will require a 3" to 3.5" elbow for the intake);
Factory upper intake manifold, ported;
Intake manifold spacer, ported;
Factory lower intake manifold, ported;
High-flow cats or catless downpipes;
Cat-back;
Tune.

You can also get cams for the LFX by MACE Engineering but I haven't heard too much about them; some people get good results while others are not terribly convincing.

With the above intake/exhaust mods and a tune you'll see an extra ~40 - 50 HP, or around 300 HP to the wheels. The cams can add even more but, again, maybe not much more; someone on this board got 340 HP with cams, putting them up to almost a stock V8 which is pretty solid.

As mentioned there's also a supercharger available which could put you well over 400 HP, depending on your wallet size.
Nailed it!! The V6 is a fun Camaro to drive with engine and suspension mods. As for getting a V8, just enjoy and I understand getting a V6 vs V8 and I finally have both now. Love the 5th gen and not so much into the 6th gen so keep these 5th gens going. Do your research and if you put so much into it to make it unreliable then you’ll end up hating it.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
Sell it and buy a V......nevermind.
...8 rear end and enjoy some 3.91 gears.
Fixed it for ya!

Seriously though, changing to 3.91s will feel like an extra fifty plus hp.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #8
guttedmiata

Drives: 92 LFX miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Not much available for the v6 engine, I'd simply trade it for a v8 car and enjoy more power than the v6 will ever make.
supercharger or turbo will make more than a V8. Just sayin'
guttedmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttedmiata View Post
supercharger or turbo will make more than a V8. Just sayin'
Not really , boost a v8 and the v6 will never come close. Just saying.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #10
bill522

Drives: 2014 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Not really , boost a v8 and the v6 will never come close. Just saying.
1) It is a lot of times easier on the pocket book to modify the V6, rather than buy the V-8
2) Plenty of highly modified rice burners ( 4 and 6 cylinder) out there blowing away modified V-8's on a regular basis, local dragstrip will show you that every weekend
3) There are no such thing as ABSOLUTES
bill522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
CamaroBarb
Banned

Logic says there is no boosted v6 that will take down a boosted v8.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #12
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Logic says money is the only factor with horsepower. A 2000hp GTR is not a fluke. It's repeatable. At this cost level it's easy to say sell the V6, buy a V8, and then go from there. Some people like their cars though and aren't going to get rid of them, and as such cost begins to fade as the limiting factor.

Funny how it's personal preference, isn't it?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:07 PM   #13
CamaroBarb
Banned

Me myself and I are happy as long as its fun. You cant beat a v8 for cheap and fun. Even the tiniest v8 sounds good and runs great. v6 cars are fun too but usually are really strung out to make any real power. My v6 Camaro is fun but I wouldn't waste a dime trying to get more power out of it when I could trade it for something made to kick others buttcakes.

I've always wanted a middle of the road 4.8-5-0 litre gen 5 Camaro but they never built it. Would have been the most popular car ever built on the planet!

Last edited by CamaroBarb; 01-31-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #14
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Until GM makes a 32 valve DOHC V8 (unless you want to drop in a Cadillac Blackwing), you’re gonna have to stick with the big displacement V8s. GM 4.8L and 5.3L V8s make less HP and just a little more torque than the V6 Camaros. There’s a reason Ford gets the same numbers out of their 5.0 Coyote as GM gets out of the 6.2.

I do agree that if you’re are looking to up performance, an SS is probably going to be a better path to get there.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote