Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #141
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerns View Post
You need to stop comparing this year LL times to the past years. As some have said, VIR was repaved and widened last winter. The lap times have improved by ~2 sec on just the Full course for the regulars that run there. I am really suprised that C&D did not make some mention of this in the article. (or maybe thaty have and I missed it) I was there the day before they started testing for a NASA event and talked to some of them about that issue.
Why stop?
This is how its done.
This list is not a checkered flag race results.
It's only for benckmark discussion. Their are so much more factor to consider than asphalt and most of them are well pointed out in each car commentary since 2006.
BTW, sorry for you to see a ZR1 behind the Z/28, does it hurt?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 09-09-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #142
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Admission of failure. It's still more expensive than the Z06 and will get its ass promptly handed to it. I'm curious to see if the $15,000 price drop affects the Viper sales at all in the wake of the Z06 release. Nothing but desperation while they cook up a new Viper trim that no one will buy.
Those of us who have tracked Camaros, Corvettes and Vipers know the real story on how trackworthy they are. Looking forward to seeing the battle of the Z06 Vs. the Viper TA 2.0. Both will be exceptional, and there will be no ass handed either way- it will be a close race and I'd be happy to have either in my stable.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #143
racerns

Drives: Grand Sport Camaro, G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Why stop?
This is how its done.
This list is not a checkered flag race results.
It's only for benckmark discussion. Their are so much more factor to consider than asphalt and most of them are well pointed out in each car commentary since 2006.
BTW, sorry for you to see a ZR1 behind the Z/28, does it hurt?
Yes it is more than just asphalt and a widened track, but now that all the NASA TT guys are suddenly running laps 2 sec faster than they were last year this should just be ingnored? Umm where exactly is the ZR1 behind the Z28? When has the Z28 run a 2:45 at VIR? If you want to check out past comentary take a look at the the issue where C&D ran the ZR1 2:50 and you will see that it rained almost the entire time making it difficult for them to get a fast lap.

I really like the Z28 and I applaud GM for making it, but do you really think that a car that weighs +500lbs, has the same brakes, somewhat sticker tires, 130hp less, and trick spool valve shocks is really going to give you equal track performance? That is a lot for the tires and trick shocks to make up for. I will be more interested in the Laguna Seca Randy Pobst time, at least that track has not changed and they use the same driver. It should make for a better comparison.

2008 G8 GT - 12.59 @ 109.5 mph (CAI, LT, Tune)
1994 GS Camaro 396 LT4
2009 ZR1 10.85 @ 130 mph (stock)
racerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #144
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Yes it is more than just asphalt and a widened track, but now that all the NASA TT guys are suddenly running laps 2 sec faster than they were last year this should just be ingnored? Umm where exactly is the ZR1 behind the Z28? When has the Z28 run a 2:45 at VIR? If you want to check out past comentary take a look at the the issue where C&D ran the ZR1 2:50 and you will see that it rained almost the entire time making it difficult for them to get a fast lap.

I really like the Z28 and I applaud GM for making it, but do you really think that a car that weighs +500lbs, has the same brakes, somewhat sticker tires, 130hp less, and trick spool valve shocks is really going to give you equal track performance? That is a lot for the tires and trick shocks to make up for. I will be more interested in the Laguna Seca Randy Pobst time, at least that track has not changed and they use the same driver. It should make for a better comparison.
So true. They just repaved my favorite track, Buttonwillow. They did this after I finally ran a 1:57, which used to mean something, LOL. Now everyone's running 2 seconds faster per lap.

Ditto, can't wait to see Pobst tackle the Z/28 at Seca! That guy is a wheel man, the times he's able to set on that track are phenomenal.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:45 AM   #145
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
So true. They just repaved my favorite track, Buttonwillow. They did this after I finally ran a 1:57, which used to mean something, LOL. Now everyone's running 2 seconds faster per lap.

Ditto, can't wait to see Pobst tackle the Z/28 at Seca! That guy is a wheel man, the times he's able to set on that track are phenomenal.

There's an open Track Day on September 20-21st at Buttonwillow. You plan on going back and trying the new track?
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #146
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
There's an open Track Day on September 20-21st at Buttonwillow. You plan on going back and trying the new track?
Man I'd love to but my Camaro is in the shop. I think the earliest event I can do in the Camaro is 10/4 - 10/5 or 10/19 -10/20, both at Buttonwillow. Can't wait to try out the new surface.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #147
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

This^^^ Does anyone know when Randy will do the drivers car test for M/T this year at Laguna?
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #148
serpent

Drives: 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
This^^^ Does anyone know when Randy will do the drivers car test for M/T this year at Laguna?
There has to be something noteworthy to compare it too. Imo they should do a track comparo against the latest GT3, the 991. This is a car that can run low 11's in the 1/4 mile and is still an NA 6 cylinder car.

Orange what were your times in Viper/Camaro at Laguna and Sonoma?
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #149
racerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I would almost bet that is has already been done, but they have just not released the results/article yet. The LL was run in early May and is just now being released.

1994 GS Camaro 396 LT4
Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 AM   #150
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpent View Post
There has to be something noteworthy to compare it too. Imo they should do a track comparo against the latest GT3, the 991. This is a car that can run low 11's in the 1/4 mile and is still an NA 6 cylinder car.

Orange what were your times in Viper/Camaro at Laguna and Sonoma?
Unfortunately neither of my cars pass the 90 dB limit at Laguna Seca, and it's rare that high dB days are offered. I have run the Viper there once and got meatballed at 93.9 dB stock! I was only able to record a couple of lap times early in the day while I was still learning the line. I turned a 1:42 and later picked up the pace quite a bit, but Harry's errored out so no lap times. Still, it's no fun to slowly bog past the sound booth so the only time I will track Seca is on a high dB day.

I'm running the Viper there on 9/21 at a rare high dB day, so I'll finally have a time for it. Can't wait! I will have accurate lap times as I'm buying a SmartyCam because I'm done with Harry's crashing. I'll run the Camaro there for a NASA time trial next year. I missed it this year as my Camaro was in the shop.

I've run both cars at Buttonwillow 13 clockwise. 2:01.06 Viper and 1:57.47 Camaro. Clearly a properly set up Camaro can open a can of whoop ass! My Viper buddies are pissed that my Camaro beat my Viper, lol. It isn't a fair comparison though, because the Camaro was run in ideal conditions whereas the Viper was run in ridiculously cold weather. The temperature in the first two sessions was in the 30s, next session in the 40s, and final session in the low 50s. I never reached the minimum recommended ambient temp of 57 degrees for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, it slipped around like I was on ice skates. Plus I've improved my line since then, so the Viper's lap time should be much closer to the Camaro's.

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 09-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #151
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:

Right, Hopefully Laguna Seca & Randy will bring an end to this speculation!

I was referring to the 2010 ZR1 tested...
8 2:50.7 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 (Michelin PS Cup tires) LL3 2/12
9 2:50.8 FERRARI F12BERLINETTA LL5 10/14
10 2:50.9 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z/28 LL3 10/14
11 2:51.2 PORSCHE 911 TURBO S LL4 10/14
12 2:51.8 CHEVROLET CORVETTE ZR1 (Michelin PS PS2 tires) LL3 2/10

This comment taken from the 2010 C&D article: -''...the Corvette combines startling pace around VIR with lots of luggage space, plus a tractable engine, good visibility, and a supple ride. That’s not to say that extracting a good lap from the ZR1 is easy. First, it carries huge speed everywhere, so judging braking distances is tricky. Then, it has outrageous amounts of power, so it’s easy to overwhelm the rear tires, which leads to entertaining sideways heroics but is not so good for lap times. It requires finesse to manage the traction circle in this car. And the steering is a little bit vague.
Against that, the ZR1 has Ohmigod! brakes, stellar thrust, and a relatively faithful chassis, helped along by its Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires that are much more progressive than the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars on lesser Corvettes. The ZR1 was 2.8 seconds quicker than the Ferrari 430 Scuderia and 3.8 seconds up on the Nissan GT-R (both from the 2008 event). All other things being equal, that’s what a power-to-weight ratio of 5.3 pounds per horsepower will do for a car’s performance.''

Corvette & Viper driver says, it's not easy to get the best out of car. Wouldn't you say that too since you own one?

A 5.3 lb/hp car can be beaten by a 7.6 lb/hp. Gizmos, tires, brakes and suspension config play a more important part now, this ain't drag racing. The GT-R proved that point a few year ago already and the Z/28 does it too.
Cheers

Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 09-11-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #152
Spoolin

Drives: 2014 SW 1LE
Quote:
Man I'd love to but my Camaro is in the shop. I think the earliest event I can do in the Camaro is 10/4 - 10/5 or 10/19 -10/20, both at Buttonwillow. Can't wait to try out the new surface.
I'm thinking I'm gonna do the 20th at Buttonwillow and come up on the 21st to Laguna Seca. So maybe my lil stock 1LE can chase your Viper around a little bit...for like 1/2 a corner!!
Spoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #153
racerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
Corvette & Viper driver says, it's not easy to get the best out of car. Wouldn't you say that too since you own one?

A 5.3 lb/hp car can be beaten by a 7.6 lb/hp. Gizmos, tires, brakes and suspension config play a more important part now, this ain't drag racing. The GT-R proved that point a few year ago already and the Z/28 does it too.
Cheers
The change to the Sport Cup tires (added '12 and are much more akin to the Z28's Pirelli tires) solves alot of the traction issue brought up in that article also the PTM (added '10). I have been running the sport cups on mine for the street and track and find it a big improvement getting the power down out of the corners. I went from tracking a highly modified 4th gen Camaro to tracking the ZR1 and did not find it particularly more challenging, just faster . I have only run the ZR1 at VIR so far (edit: I forgot I did Spring Mountian too) and was able to turn a 2:03 (full course) with traffic during an HPDE session. I plan to do some TT but will be making a change to A6s on CCWs soon .
While I agree the lower lb/hpcar can be faster, the Z28 doesn't have the Gizmo or brake advantage over a ZR1. There is alot to be made up in tires and suspension. I see, you thought I was just a drag racer. No, much more time on roadcourses.

1994 GS Camaro 396 LT4

Last edited by racerns; 09-10-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #154
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Quote:
The change to the Sport Cup tires (added '12 and are much more akin to the Z28's Pirelli tires) solves alot of the traction issue brought up in that article also the PTM (added '10). I have been running the sport cups on mine for the street and track and find it a big improvement getting the power down out of the corners. I went from tracking a highly modified 4th gen Camaro to tracking the ZR1 and did not find it particularly more challenging, just faster . I have only run the ZR1 at VIR so far (edit: I forgot I did Spring Mountian too) and was able to turn a 2:03 (full course) with traffic during an HPDE session. I plan to do some TT but will be making a change to A6s on CCWs soon .
While I agree the lower lb/hpcar can be faster, the Z28 doesn't have the Gizmo or brake advantage over a ZR1. There is alot to be made up in tires and suspension. I see, you thought I was just a drag racer. No, much more time on roadcourses.