Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Squeaky Brakes Driving me Insane!!!! Dealer Says...

These Brembos are the most squeakiest brakes ever!!..Had the dealer look at them and they stated that nothing is wrong with them. Its the nature of the beast on all Brembo brakes. They called it glazing and suggested that I let them resurface the rotors for $180 a piece!!!.. Then the service tech told me that I can go to an empty parking lot, drive fast in reverse and slam on the brakes and repeat 3 times and that will fix it...
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Four pot fronts were added to the Camaro late in the development game. Brembo and GM both felt they had sufficient experience with the brakes and were confident the combination would present no unusual issues. They were about 98% correct. The brakes and pads are among the best combination for street and track available. Unfortunately, there is a squeal than many Camaro owners found unacceptable. The fix is to add mass to the caliper. Stick-on wheel weights were added to the calipers followed by roller skates on the pads to add mass and reduce the noise.

Some owners have had success using brake caliper lube on the backing plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcd View Post
For all of you out there who have been frustrated by GM's failed attempts (caliper weights, roller-skate pads, etc.) to cure the annoying brake squeal that afflicts so many of our Camaros, I promise this will do the trick. It's inexpensive (about $30) and quick (two to three beers max). It's also easy, even for novice wrench turners. Do it once, do it right, and say good-bye to that embarrassing cacophony that emanates from your wheels every time you stop.

These are the only items you need to purchase:

1. Caliper Bolts (FRONT) - GM P/N 11570788 M14 x 2.0 x 56.5

2. Caliper Bolts (REAR) - GM P/N 11515781 M12 x 1.75 x 60

3. Permatex ULTRA DISC BRAKE CALIPER LUBE - Item #24110
Brake squeal is the result of two hard surfaces rubbing against each other. To reduce the squeal the only option is to install a softer pad. Softer pads generate less noise because they produce less friction. Go to any local autocross or road course and listen to the brakes squeal. You'll find true enthusiasts that understand what makes for good braking. The squeal from their brakes tells all those in the know that this is a serious car, with serious brakes and a serious owner.

BTW: Ignore the backing up three times suggestion.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i actually JUST had a guard at the gate tell me i need some new brakes. i just laughed and said "it needs something...not sure what" lol. its annoying but i guess ive just gotten used to it.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
My dealer replaced my pads a few months ago and not once have they squeaked. Guess I'm lucky
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
You'll find true enthusiasts that understand what makes for good braking. The squeal from their brakes tells all those in the know that this is a serious car, with serious brakes and a serious owner.
I lol'd
Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
My dealer replaced my pads a few months ago and not once have they squeaked. Guess I'm lucky
I wish they did the same for me...
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
sonnydurden

I know its like comparing apples to oranges...But I used to own a 350Z with Brembos and they never squealed or squeaked....
Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi sonnydurden,

If you would like us to research further, we would be happy to locate a different dealership for a second opinion. You may send us a private message at any time with your contact information and VIN!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
These Brembos are the most squeakiest brakes ever!!..Had the dealer look at them and they stated that nothing is wrong with them. Its the nature of the beast on all Brembo brakes. They called it glazing and suggested that I let them resurface the rotors for $180 a piece!!!.. Then the service tech told me that I can go to an empty parking lot, drive fast in reverse and slam on the brakes and repeat 3 times and that will fix it...
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
I know its like comparing apples to oranges...But I used to own a 350Z with Brembos and they never squealed or squeaked....
True, but there are no magazine tests of the 5th Gen Camaro that end in brake failure and impact damage.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lightning-lap

What was unnerving to this driver, having just survived the most terrifying experience in a 15-year driving life, was that Nissan officials from Japan weren’t at all surprised. They matter-of-factly reported that the Z’s stock brake pads were designed primarily for low noise and low dust, and not for racetrack situations. It’s our view, however—and we don’t think we’re alone—that the NISMO Z, an even sportier version of a sports car, should be equipped with brakes competent enough to survive a few hot laps.

Your 5th Gen shipped with the best combination street track pad available. Noise is a consequence of function. Performance brake pads make noise. Performance brake pads make dust. Less noise, less dust = Less brake Function.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #10
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Pete, stopping is highly overrated....I want quiet....LOL

Contact Tyler at JDP Motorsports and get some Hawk Ceramic brake pads...they will work just like the 350Z when you get them really hot, but they are definitely quieter...
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
Squealing is the nature of performance metallic pads such as the ones the Camaro uses. Getting the dealer to replace them is pointless as they too will squeal eventually.

If you want to get rid of the squeal you can either, 1) buy a set of low noise pads such as the Hawk Ceramics or 2) follow a brake bedding procedure. Bedding the brakes is temporary and will only last for 3-4 months before it has to be done again.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
On mine theu would usually squeal on slow brak
Old 10-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
On mine they would usually squeal when soft braking on hard braking they were quiet I bought some hawk hps pads better braking and almost zero squeal and a lot less dust I would highly recommend
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
True, but there are no magazine tests of the 5th Gen Camaro that end in brake failure and impact damage.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-lightning-lap

What was unnerving to this driver, having just survived the most terrifying experience in a 15-year driving life, was that Nissan officials from Japan weren’t at all surprised. They matter-of-factly reported that the Z’s stock brake pads were designed primarily for low noise and low dust, and not for racetrack situations. It’s our view, however—and we don’t think we’re alone—that the NISMO Z, an even sportier version of a sports car, should be equipped with brakes competent enough to survive a few hot laps.

Your 5th Gen shipped with the best combination street track pad available. Noise is a consequence of function. Performance brake pads make noise. Performance brake pads make dust. Less noise, less dust = Less brake Function.
hahahahahahaha