Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #1429
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Good luck tomorrow CFD!
Thanks but I'm going in on Thursday. God's punishing me, tomorrow I get to deal with another major snow storm.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #1430
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Hope all goes well CFD.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #1431
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Hope all goes well CFD.
+1, hope everything goes well!
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1432
CFD

I hate snow. lol. After sitting on my butt for a couple of weeks I took the easy way and used the snow blower. Just wasn't going to risk shoveling. Can't wait until tomorrow to get this over with.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #1433
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I'm 18, haven't worked out in a while. I'm 5'10ish and 245lbs with a stocky build. My goal is to get down to 180lbs by July. Any tips?
Honestly, you need to set feasible goals for yourself and possibly make a few lifestyle changes.

There are no short cuts to living a healthy life IMO. You'll need to change your diet, exercise frequently (cardio ++), and make sure you get plenty of sleep. You may consider researching meal replacement shakes online and putting limits on your calorie consumption.

Everyone burns calories at a different rate so there is no guarantee you'll be able to lose X amount of weight with X amount of working out or dieting either. Just know that taking steps to be healthy early on will pay off in the long run.

Take Supplements too

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #1434
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Well, I'm kind of going against the grain for you rebelyell22. We have all found our own path for what works us, and it will be a challenge to find what works best for your body.

If you are wanting to lose weight, it's all about making better choices in the kitchen. This is where it starts. You can lose a hell of a lot of weight just by making better food choices and never touching a weight. The gym and cardio will help, but without the right diet, you make no gains. So focus your effort on your diet and what you need. Anyone will tell you this is the hardest part and most challenging part. Because you will WANT to cheat, and if you really want to lose that weight, you won't.

I am going to say supplements are not the best for you when needing to lose weight. Our bodies are designed to process FOOD. There are some good choices out there for proteins or meal replacements, but they cost just as much as real food. Your better choice will be real food.

If you are wanting to put on size and can't eat enough calories in a day, this is when you turn to additional supplements (this is just me).

In the gym, keep it simple. If you want to do some weight training, stick to basics. If you want to hit some cardio, hit it after weights.

Lots of great guys/gals on this forum that really know what they are doing and can offer a lot of great help.

Biggest thing you need to remember, this is a life change, it takes time, and you have to be patient. Get a plan, month to month, stick to it, and you will see results.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #1435
DjSker

Drives: 2013 Convertible 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
I'm 18, haven't worked out in a while. I'm 5'10ish and 245lbs with a stocky build. My goal is to get down to 180lbs by July. Any tips?
You are gonna need a lot of DISCIPLINE, motivation, and exercise to lose that much weight in that short of time.
Being 18 and 5'10" @ 245, you would have to eat 2300 calories a day to maintain that weight with very little to no exercise (roughly).
You should at least lower that caloric intake to 1800 a day. At the same time, try to minimize fat intake. Limit sugars to natural sugars (like in fruits). Stay away from sodas, juices, and alcohol ( I know you are under age, but just saying). Stick with water only.
You should do cardio every day. You can also add weight training, but keep lower weights. Do 3 sets of each exercise with high reps (12-16).
The eating and limiting your caloric intake is the number one thing.
Another important thing.....You should be eating 5 - 6 meals a day. This will keep your metabolism at a high rate.
Next would be to exercise.
IT WILL TAKE COMPLETE DISCIPLINE AND DEDICATION to reach your goal in that time frame and it still might not be possible.
GOOD LUCK!

By the way, supplements will not do much for you in this case. You should be taking a multi-vitamin everyday anyway.
If you want to try a fat loss pill, go ahead, they might help a tiny. (Xenadrine, Thermal Shock, Lipo 6 Black, Ripped Fuel, Stacker, etc), just follow directions on label.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #1436
CFD

If I might add a little.

Diet is key, cardio and weight training are also very useful, I would prefer HIIT over conventional cardio. I always make weight training a muscle gaining routine and cardio a fat burning one so lift weights to gain strength and muscle so increase weight and concentrate on the basic whole body lifts as hrpiii suggested. It takes more calories to sustain muscle so the more muscle you carry the more cals you burn automatically.Contrary to the post above you should limit sugar intake, even natural sugars, never eliminate fat intake, it is essential for fat loss and healthy bodily functions. What you must watch is the type of fat intake. You should be getting about 25%- 30% of your daily cals from fats, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated fats. A good general rule to follow is 1/3 of each. It's not just about calories in versus calories out, macro's are important. You should keep track of everything you eat so as you can make adjustments depending on your progress. For fat loss a good starting point might be around 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat. This can be adjusted as every body is a bit different. You should also eat 5-6 meals daily if possible and practice carb tapering, eat your starchy carbs early in the day and mostly fiberous carbs later in the day. Eating after about 7pm is not recommended, again this will depend on your daily schedule, if you do snack at night make it something useful like a slow digesting protein (casein) no fat or low fat. cottage cheese is a good example.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #1437
DjSker

Drives: 2013 Convertible 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Contrary to the post above you should limit sugar intake, even natural sugars, never eliminate fat intake, it is essential for fat loss and healthy bodily functions. What you must watch is the type of fat intake. You should be getting about 25%- 30% of your daily cals from fats, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated and saturated fats.
I did not say 'eliminate fat'. I said 'limit'. I should have been as descriptive as CFD, he explained the fat types and percentages very well.
I do agree with most of your post.
If your are gonna have sugars, stick to natural sugars. As said in CFD post, it would be best not to have any.

You shouldn't just think of weight training as gaining muscle only. Weight training can help keep your metabolism up (this is a proven fact). It depends on how you lift. Light weights and high reps can help with weight loss.
Heavy weights and low reps is for mass and strength.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #1438
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjSker View Post
I did not say 'eliminate fat'. I said 'limit'. I should have been as descriptive as CFD, he explained the fat types and percentages very well.
I do agree with most of your post.
If your are gonna have sugars, stick to natural sugars. As said in CFD post, it would be best not to have any.
Natural sugars such as those in fruits are better than processed sugars as fruits do contain healthy nutrients so avoiding any food group, other than processed foods, is not the best choice from a health standpoint. When it comes to how the body reacts to sugar itself, sugar is sugar so a piece or two a day is ok. Some fruits such as strawberries, blueberries, cantelope and grapefruit have less sugar than others so choices are important as well.

Fat's are something, not necessarily in your case, that some people do not understand and think should be avoided like the plague but in fact are essential. That's why I elaborated because when limiting fats is suggested some would think " don't eat fats" so I figured it should be clarified for those that don't know.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #1439
CFD

Now comes the hardest part of this whole thing. FASTING. Although I do eat very healthy I eat and eat often, my instructions are nothing to eat or drink, not even water, how the F#$k do they expect me to do that. lol.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #1440
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Rebelyell22....

There has been a lot of great advice given to you. But ultimately what it boils down to is how bad do you want it?

I've spoken of my GF in this thread. Sept 1st 2012 she was 5'2" and weighed 206lbs. July 1st 2013 she weighed 129lbs. 10 months 77 lbs. She is a 40 year old single mom with twins, 3 dogs, and a full time job. If she can do it you can too.

First thing she did was she read the book Body For Life by Bill Phillips and ate off the list. She also incorporated Bill's thinking with regards to keeping track of workouts and pushing her workouts. It's one thing to show up at the gym and go through the motions, it's a totally different thing to show up day after day constantly pushing.

Every morning Mon-Sat the alarm clock went off at 4:30. Off to the gym to run sprints. Don't be the Geico commercial showing the two women on the stepper....going through the motions....push yourself.

In the evening it was weights. A variation of the bench M,W, and F....heavy. Followed by shoulders and triceps. More of an intermediate weight but always pushing for either more weight or more sets/reps. A variation of the squat on T,TH, and Sat. Followed by back and biceps and DL's once a week. Same thing, heavy on the core exercise, intermediate weight on the assistance exercises. Always pushing.....

Sundays she did yoga

You can do it. And I'll leave you with this video which I have always thought was a very motivational video.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody

Last edited by Mydivorcegift; 01-22-2014 at 05:09 PM.
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #1441
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Rebelyell22....

There has been a lot of great advice given to you. But ultimately what it boils down to is how bad do you want it?

I've spoken of my GF in this thread. Sept 1st 2012 she was 5'2" and weighed 206lbs. July 1st 2013 she weighed 129lbs. 10 months 77 lbs. She is a single mom with twins, 3 dogs, and a full time job. If she can do it you can too.

First thing she did was she read the book Body For Life by Bill Phillips and ate off the list. She also incorporated Bill's thinking with regards to keeping track of workouts and pushing her workouts. It's one thing to show up at the gym and go through the motions, it's a totally different thing to show up day after day constantly pushing.

Every morning Mon-Sat the alarm clock went off at 4:30. Off to the gym to run sprints. Don't be the Geico commercial showing the two women on the stepper....going through the motions....push yourself.

In the evening it was weights. A variation of the bench M,W, and F....heavy. Followed by shoulders and triceps. More of an intermediate weight but always pushing for either more weight or more sets/reps. A variation of the squat on T,TH, and Sat. Followed by back and biceps and DL's once a week. Same thing, heavy on the core exercise, intermediate weight on the assistance exercises. Always pushing.....

Sundays she did yoga

You can do it. And I'll leave you with this video which I have always thought was a very motivational video.

I totally agree.

Sprints or any HIIT over steady state cardio. Always do your big money lifts with heavy loads and always progress with more weight when you can and/or more reps until you can. The body is very adaptive so unless you do more your efforts become less effective.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #1442
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
So rebelyell22 you get started yet? Or are you waiting until tomorrow?

Guess CFD is probably sleeping soundly about now!

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote