Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
who here is a fuel pump expert

Man I am sorry to ask such a (novice) kind of question here. Can anyone give me a good description of what to expect if the fuel pump fails. I feel certain this happened to my car but since I was able to start it up and again and (barely) make it home, I am not 100 percent convinced. doesn't the fuel pump "eventually" just go out ? how many miles would someone expect it to last. (I have this bad habit of assuming nothing on my car will break, and then when it does I am shocked.)

thanks in advance for any responses. i wish i had more experience with this, but i used to trade in cars all the time so this never happened before. this car has 170,000 miles. :(
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The fuel pump went in my '02 Camaro at 32,000 miles. I was driving along going around a curve and the car just died. It wouldn't start back up though, I had to have it towed to my dealer.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
+1. I would think if your fuel pump is dead...you're not going anywhere.
Maybe what you've got is a dirty fuel filter? That happened to me in my van. Died, but I was able to start it back up and, like you said, "barely get home."
Old 12-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
2001ragtop

Thanks for those replies

Just talked to a mechanic. He mentioned something I totally overlooked. Dirty IAC valve.

I forgot how much trouble that little thing can cause when it's dirty. That would be nice if that is only problem. Those are cheap and easy to clean or replace.

He also said to check this tiny wire located on the MAF. he said there could be a bug or dirt on it. (I guess i need a new air filter too). I just read that tiny wire is very sensitive and that you need to be careful when messing with it.

Thanks again. I will find out later if cleaning the two things above fixes the problem.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Some backyard methods!

If it has an electric fuel pump, when you turn the key to the run position, you should hear a noise from the gas tank. In simple terms, the pump is priming the engine for starting. Essentially performing the simple one pump method used on cars with carbs before starting. Almost a lost art these days! No noise? Could be a fuel pump issue.

If it is carbureted, you could take off the air cleaner and work the throttle linkage. You should see gas spraying down through the carb into the intake. No gas? Could be the filter or pump. You could disconnect the fuel line after the pump but before the filter and turn over the motor. Put something like a plastic drink bottle over the disconnected fuel line. If after you turn over the motor there is gas in the bottle, it's not your fuel pump.

Could be a million things, but it all boils down to spark, fuel and oxygen. One of those is missing if your car won't run.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
2001ragtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28camaro2471 View Post
Some backyard methods!

If it has an electric fuel pump, when you turn the key to the run position, you should hear a noise from the gas tank. In simple terms, the pump is priming the engine for starting. Essentially performing the simple one pump method used on cars with carbs before starting. Almost a lost art these days! No noise? Could be a fuel pump issue.

If it is carbureted, you could take off the air cleaner and work the throttle linkage. You should see gas spraying down through the carb into the intake. No gas? Could be the filter or pump. You could disconnect the fuel line after the pump but before the filter and turn over the motor. Put something like a plastic drink bottle over the disconnected fuel line. If after you turn over the motor there is gas in the bottle, it's not your fuel pump.

Could be a million things, but it all boils down to spark, fuel and oxygen. One of those is missing if your car won't run.
thanks. If what I am going to try doesn't work I will probably try what you wrote above. I have changed the fuel filter before, and I don't think it was too long ago. While the fuel filter is off, that does sound like a way to quickly see if gas was pumped.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Let us know what happens. I've dealt w/ all the problems before. Clean the MAF wires w/ alcohol and a q-tip. Be VERY careful. If you have a K&N air filter, the oil from the filter you spray on will adhere to the wire and jack up your MAF. I know...it happened to me. I thoroughly cleaned it...carefully...and it worked fine.

Fuel filters should be replaced at certain milage. Get them done. Do it as to prevent not only the fuel filter problems, but anything else that could have an effect from the fuel filter going.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Mayday

Drives: "Interceptor Edition" 2002 Z28 LS1
MAF's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Let us know what happens. I've dealt w/ all the problems before. Clean the MAF wires w/ alcohol and a q-tip. Be VERY careful. If you have a K&N air filter, the oil from the filter you spray on will adhere to the wire and jack up your MAF. I know...it happened to me. I thoroughly cleaned it...carefully...and it worked fine.

Fuel filters should be replaced at certain milage. Get them done. Do it as to prevent not only the fuel filter problems, but anything else that could have an effect from the fuel filter going.
K&N adamantly denies any such claim, but you and I know that it is not an unreasonable possibility for oil to cause a problem like that. I have questioned their denials for some time now, just never actually met anybody that has had that problem. I have been using the F.I.P.K for my LS1 for 3 years now. I'm torn b/c immediately after I started using the K&N filter, I had to replace the stock MAF. However, I have never had the problem since. Could have been that the stock MAF was shot, or there may be truth to the oil problem after all. I still have the MAF, just never bothered to try and clean it b/c of all the known problems with messing up the wire. I'll give it a shot and let you know if it pops a light again or not....as far as the fuel filter goes, I totally agree, better to just replace it, they are a dime a dozen.
Mayday is offline   Reply With Quote