Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Wheel hop?

When I lose traction I get a crazy amount of wheel hop on the street, as well as on the track. Does anyone else have this problem?
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188081
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
2011 SS

Drives: 2011 SS M6, LT's, CAI, SLP LM II's.
Thanks Sorry about that
2011 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Think about anything street related the same as fight club, and the number 1 rule of fight club.

With that being said, I never have an issue with wheel hop. If you are getting wheel hop you are doing it wrong. The point of launching is not to get wheel spin and hop. You just need to feather the clutch more, and ease into the throttle for control. By the time your hitting second, you can go full tilt boogie ... Have fun and stay safe.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The Book on 5th Gen Suspension is a great place to start.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS View Post
When I lose traction I get a crazy amount of wheel hop on the street, as well as on the track. Does anyone else have this problem?
It is pretty common. When your car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components deflect. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which then alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in deflection and toe changes leading to wheel slippage. The main culprits causing all of the problems are the rear trail arms and toe rods along with the rear cradle and differential bushings. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
B1G-AL

Drives: 09 Bullitt, 08 H3 Alpha, Ram SS/T
The 2004-05 CTS-Vs have a severe wheel hop problem; they can barely be launched at all without hopping to pieces. A lot of the V guys buy anti hop kits or better hop-proof axles...I'm sure there are some out for the Camaro
Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I had that issue but replaced my lower trailing arms with Pfadt trailing arms. Problem fixed.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 SS View Post

Yep, probably bad shocks. Put it on the rack and check for leaks. I didnt have W.H. but did get a leaky shock which GM replaced under warranty.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
It is pretty common. When your car begins to accelerate various bushings and suspension/chassis components deflect. Under normal driving conditions this flexing is negligible but when the car is launched aggressively the deflection causes significant toe changes which reduce the contact patch of the rear tires. This leads to a reduction in traction and momentary wheel slippage which then alleviates the toe changes and allows the rear tires to regrip. The vicious circle then continues as the suddenly improved traction again results in deflection and toe changes leading to wheel slippage. The main culprits causing all of the problems are the rear trail arms and toe rods along with the rear cradle and differential bushings. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Yeh what he said.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Wheel hop is a harmonic instability, a resonance in the suspension. It starts out imperceptibly and reverberates through the IRS until it explodes in a violent and sometimes destructive action.

Wheel Hop is Caused by:
  • IRS sub-frame twisting in the voided rubber sub-frame bush mounts
  • Deflection in a number of rubber IRS control arm bushings
  • Spring rate
  • Damping map
  • Tire composition
  • Tire rolling diameter
  • Unsprung weight
  • Pavement condition
  • Moisture
  • Driving style
  • Alignment
  • Tire inflation
  • Loose bolts
  • Defective parts

We could add more to the list, but it is sufficiently long to give you an idea of the variables. There are many that would just throw parts at the problem. That doesn't make sense to me. A bone stock Camaro should deliver a very good behind the wheel experience without the need for my parts. Obviously I believe we can make it better, but it shouldn't be significant on a bone stock Camaro.

The first place to check is wheel alignment. Negative camber puts a heavier load on the inside tire shoulder than the outside tire shoulder. A bit of negative camber is fine. A lot of negative camber has you launching on 2/3s or less of the tire. The smaller the tire contact patch the easier it is to induce wheel hop.

As I said earlier, with a good description of the wheel hop you are experiencing I can provide a more specific response. There is a great resource here on Camaro5 THE Book on 5th Gen Suspension. Set aside some time and read through it. You'll gain a thorough understanding of your 5th Gen suspension and be able to make informed choices.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #12
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
The other problem that Pete did not mention is that these cars are meant for spirited driving, just not full out in stock configuration. Change a few relatively inexpensive parts and you can drive this car full out without wheel hop. My '10 puts down 650 rwhp and I get some spinning but no hop from my M6. If you want it to go away you have two choices... drive less spiritedly or call Pete and he can take care of you like he did me.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote