Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #85
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
Every kid's first car should be a beater.

A beater is like a mutt, reliable and faithful.

If it should get dinged/dented/scratched/ etc, who cares? It's a beater.

When a kid finally gets a better car, they'll appreciate it and take care of it.

teenager + 320 plus HP sports car = DISASTER

No matter how good your math is.
mine still looks like new and ive had her since 09. To be honest, it looks better then when it came off the lot.
I used to give such elaborate comments on these threads, but ive given up.
Some kids can handle it, some cant. Just as some adults can handle, some cant!
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #86
bubsy73

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS
Am I the only one that doesn't understand the logic of getting a $30k car and then start paying for 5+ years later?
I don't want you to think I'm disrespecting you, cause I'm not. I just want to add some perspective. A lot of things can happen to change your plans for your future and it won't necessarily be planned. I will give you a little bit of my back story. I was 2 months from graduating from college. It was spring break...most my classmates were gone south. I couldn't afford that cause I had a brand new car. I drove it to visit my grandparents that lived 4 hours away. A guy passed a snowplow and hit me head on and I flipped over him 2 1/2 times. I am lucky to be alive however my career of choice was gone in an instant, and now my future was a student loan I couldn't pay back because of a year of rehab and recovery. It took me 16 years to dig out plus life happened, marriage, kids mortgage...before I could get a brand new car again...the Camaro. Was it worth the wait? Absolutely!
My point is please don't mortgage your future on this car because life doesn't always go according to plan. If I was you, I would get an older Camaro learn to fix it up and have the extra coin to do what young adults do which is live!!!
Camaros will always be around and by the time you graduate college if all goes well, land your perfect job, buy your house first and then get your dream car! And if you get an older Camaro you'll have an instant contemporary classic as well to rebuild!!! Good luck!!!
bubsy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #87
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Seriously... if you (anyone reading this thread) don't accept and understand that new drivers are at a bigger risk, and think giving them a bigger toy doesn't amplify that risk... you're completely delusional. Taking away the responsibility aspect (to assume one will not intentionally drive like an asshat), a new driver is a sh**y driver. Anyone saying otherwise... sorry. You're also delusional, and you're probably a sh**y driver too.

And not getting a speeding ticket, or not having been in an accident (yet) doesn't mean you're not. It means you've been less of a sh**y driver. But you know what? You still suck. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. I was a sh**y driver when I was 16. I had no accidents, no speeding tickets, not a scratch on my little beater car. But I promise I wasn't a great driver. Again... statistics don't lie. They make certain people the exceptions, not the rule.

I heard something once that I thought was kind of funny about younger kids and it went something like this... "Think about it. 10 years ago, were you smart? NO. You were a freaking idiot. Fact of the matter is, that you're still just as big of an idiot now. It's just going to take you another 10 years to figure it out."

Not saying OP is an idiot... but the idea is pretty much the same. And all (at least I) suggested, was just to get some seat time first. Even if it's just a year behind the wheel. Not "don't get a Camaro". Just CONSIDER that reality is you can't drive for beans. Your grades and upbringing will not make you a better driver. It might make you intentionally take less risks (which is great!). You seem like a smart and responsible kid. It seems like your parents have driven the point of responsibility and maturity home to you. So be smart, responsible, and mature, and see if you can understand why some of us are telling you to hold off for a little bit. We're not doing it because we're jealous. We have the car already. Wait a year. Drive something a little more tame. Then get the Camaro (whichever model you prefer)

And Invaderzim, I can respect your opinion, but to say the car isn't THAT badass by comparing it to a Lambo, Porche, Corvette etc. is not making any good point. Just because an SS isn't a supercar, doesn't make it not a big, powerful, and potentially dangerous. Even for experienced drivers. How many cars are running 12's in the quarter, stock, for under 40k again? 2? And the SS is one of them.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of seeing young people always think they are the exception to the rule (just as I thought when I was young). Luckily for me... this will drive you just as crazy when you get older!
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #88
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Seriously... if you (anyone reading this thread) don't accept and understand that new drivers are at a bigger risk, and think giving them a bigger toy doesn't amplify that risk... you're completely delusional. Taking away the responsibility aspect (to assume one will not intentionally drive like an asshat), a new driver is a sh**y driver. Anyone saying otherwise... sorry. You're also delusional, and you're probably a sh**y driver too.

And not getting a speeding ticket, or not having been in an accident (yet) doesn't mean you're not. It means you've been less of a sh**y driver. But you know what? You still suck. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is. I was a sh**y driver when I was 16. I had no accidents, no speeding tickets, not a scratch on my little beater car. But I promise I wasn't a great driver. Again... statistics don't lie. They make certain people the exceptions, not the rule.

I heard something once that I thought was kind of funny about younger kids and it went something like this... "Think about it. 10 years ago, were you smart? NO. You were a freaking idiot. Fact of the matter is, that you're still just as big of an idiot now. It's just going to take you another 10 years to figure it out."

Not saying OP is an idiot... but the idea is pretty much the same. And all (at least I) suggested, was just to get some seat time first. Even if it's just a year behind the wheel. Not "don't get a Camaro". Just CONSIDER that reality is you can't drive for beans. Your grades and upbringing will not make you a better driver. It might make you intentionally take less risks (which is great!). You seem like a smart and responsible kid. It seems like your parents have driven the point of responsibility and maturity home to you. So be smart, responsible, and mature, and see if you can understand why some of us are telling you to hold off for a little bit. We're not doing it because we're jealous. We have the car already. Wait a year. Drive something a little more tame. Then get the Camaro (whichever model you prefer)

And Invaderzim, I can respect your opinion, but to say the car isn't THAT badass by comparing it to a Lambo, Porche, Corvette etc. is not making any good point. Just because an SS isn't a supercar, doesn't make it not a big, powerful, and potentially dangerous. Even for experienced drivers. How many cars are running 12's in the quarter, stock, for under 40k again? 2? And the SS is one of them.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of seeing young people always think they are the exception to the rule (just as I thought when I was young). Luckily for me... this will drive you just as crazy when you get older!

I would also agree. And I was one of those spoiled brat's whose dad bought him a trans am when I was 16. I was a respectful, responsible kid, with decent grades, but having a car like that does something to your sensibilities. (even at 40 it still does...I can drive my Tahoe all week and not think about chirping tires, downshifting just to feel the power, etc. but behind the wheel of the SS it constantly runs through my brain) Anyway, my point is driving a car like that will just make you a little more curious (along with your friends) about how fast it can go, how fast can you go around the corner, etc. It's just a question of whether the OP or any other younger driver has the ability to ignore the curiosity. I know I couldn't. I was doing brodies, winding that poor thing out as fast as it would go every chance I got. But it did teach me something. No way in hell am i giving my kids a car. They will have to earn it.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #89
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Ok, I've been out of the school system for quite some time, but how does someone get a 4.2 GPA. When I was in school, the highest you could get was a 4.0. I'm going to have to call unless someone here "schools" me otherwise . The only other thing I can think of is if they changed the rating scale to go to 5.0 (AHH! Mustank )
Weighted GPAs can be much higher. I graduated with a 3.7 unweighted and a 7.2 weighted lol and that wasn't a typo, yeah a 7.2 lmao.

It all depends on where you live and the school system's rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post

I disagree with this. I think that if you drive consistently (at least 10 times a week) and do it for many years and you do not get a ticket or ever get into an accident, I think that says something about your driving. To do that in a extremely fast car, in my opinion, says something even more impressive about your driving because you have had to mastered concentration and restraint.

I'm not saying that you don't get better as you get older, because you do, but that doesn't mean you can't be a good driver within your first few years of driving.

For example, Joey Lagano was only 19 when he won his first Cup ever just a few years ago... of course, I'm not comparing myself to him, but I'm just making the point that you can be young AND a good driver, or in Joey's case, an amazing one.

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 05-17-2012 at 08:50 AM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote