Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-25-2011, 01:17 AM   #15
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I think the issue here, other than a quick shift into reverse, is the firing rate of the sensors. I have no clue what kind of frequency they operate on, but just imagine (for the sake of argument) that they're using a sort of radar frequency. Now if these sensors are firing at a relatively low rate, and you're making a turn (in reverse of course) or simply backing up at a speed that exceeds the rate in which the sensors can actually detect an object, then of course they're going to fail and miss something. I bet that if you could increase the rate of fire they would be 10x more reliable. That, or just get a back up camera.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #16
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
I think the issue here, other than a quick shift into reverse, is the firing rate of the sensors. I have no clue what kind of frequency they operate on, but just imagine (for the sake of argument) that they're using a sort of radar frequency. Now if these sensors are firing at a relatively low rate, and you're making a turn (in reverse of course) or simply backing up at a speed that exceeds the rate in which the sensors can actually detect an object, then of course they're going to fail and miss something. I bet that if you could increase the rate of fire they would be 10x more reliable. That, or just get a back up camera.
Very logical. Makes sense to me.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
KIZE
www.gkiser.com

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, Auto, Summit White. R
Pics?

Roto-fab CAI, GMPP exhaust with tips, Pistol Grip shifter with paddle switches, 'Chevrolet' aluminum kick plates, Aluminum Bow Ties, ClearBra front bumper/facia + side views + gills + behind door handles. SS floormats. www.gkiser.com
KIZE www.gkiser.com
KIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
The 12's have the back up sensors as well as a camera, so far my sensors have worked everytime, but the car is in storage now. Maybe GM has a TSB on the sensors?
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #19
BrainleSS
Working on my 2nd one!

Drives: Camaro
This has happened to me, at the hotel at C5Fest II! I backed into another members car, luckily it only cost me $50.00 for a new license plate bracket!!! I have since bought
Ofer's backup camera mod.
BrainleSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #20
csuwldcat

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Just took it into the dealership and had it checked out and I found out something very interesting: the system goes inactive if you hit 5MPH in reverse. I was backing down a pretty long isle in the garage so this could *easily* have been why it failed to go off.

Additionally, the object to the rear of the car must be at least 8 inches tall to be detected, I thought I'd mention that too even though it was not a factor for me in my case.

What I don't understand is why the thing would shutoff at any speed in reverse? I mean what is the impetus for doings so? Seems like an arbitrary and odd design choice if you ask me.

I'm going to respond to GM corporate and ask what they intend to do about this - I mean some people *walk* at 5MPH, what a crazy limitation.
csuwldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #21
LS3AlexSS

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro SS
csuwldcat hit it on the head... disables over 5mph. Mine beeps once when I get over 5mph to let me know it's off, then when I'm back under 5mph it's active again though.
LS3AlexSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #22
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by csuwldcat View Post
Just took it into the dealership and had it checked out and I found out something very interesting: the system goes inactive if you hit 5MPH in reverse. I was backing down a pretty long isle in the garage so this could *easily* have been why it failed to go off.

Additionally, the object to the rear of the car must be at least 8 inches tall to be detected, I thought I'd mention that too even though it was not a factor for me in my case.

What I don't understand is why the thing would shutoff at any speed in reverse? I mean what is the impetus for doings so? Seems like an arbitrary and odd design choice if you ask me.

I'm going to respond to GM corporate and ask what they intend to do about this - I mean some people *walk* at 5MPH, what a crazy limitation.
The reason it's limited to 5 mph is because over 5 mph the sensors aren't "real time". There would be a delay over 5 mph. Your sensors would indicate 5' when you actually have less than 1'. Then, GM would be held liable.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #23
csuwldcat

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
The reason it's limited to 5 mph is because over 5 mph the sensors aren't "real time". There would be a delay over 5 mph. Your sensors would indicate 5' when you actually have less than 1'. Then, GM would be held liable.
If that truly is the case it's a sad commentary on their software/mechanical engineering team. I lead a team of programmers at work and code myself, the the case you stated about delay due to variable speed would be solved with a very simple calculation that adjusted the sensor firing rate to match. As the car speeds up, there is a linear relationship with the increase in firing rate you'd need to maintain for the sensors to continue to judge distance in the same way. That said, I bet sensors with variable timing are much more expensive than sensors that fire at a fixed speed.

All told, GM has been incredibly responsive, I'm hoping they see my side of this. I really want to snag a ZL1 or CTS-V in a couple years, so they would easily be in the black on the deal if they did help out.
csuwldcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #24
rapaleeman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I love how mine go off when I back out of my garage. There is nothing behind me but due to the clearance on both sides, it still goes off.

While I have more than enough room to back out without hitting the sides I always end up stopping and double checking that my drive way is clear. I have the only car in the house so this is a little irritating, but it has made me a little more aware when backing up.

Good to know about the 5MPH. Didn't know that.
rapaleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #25
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
I have owned my Camaro for a bit longer than a year, and have had 3 or 4 occasions where the OEM rear backup system has failed to engage when I put the car in reverse.

Basically, when I put it in reverse that initial beep sound does not fire off to let you know the system is active, then it never beeps to let you know when you are close to something.

I wrote it off the few times it happened as me putting it in and out of reverse too quick or something I did, but yesterday I didn't notice it wasn't active and counted on it. Unfortunately, I was backing up past a pillar in a parking garage and I knew it was really close to the car. When no sound ever came out I thought it was good...until I heard a scrape :( It barely made contact with the rear passenger-side quarter panel wheel flair and scratched it for about 10 inches. Has anyone else experienced throwing the car into reverse and the backup system not coming on?
Wow! That happens? Hearing this makes me so happy that I have an early order without the nanny. I do not trust electronics to be completely dependable anyway. I love the ABS on my car but I declined getting it on my new Harley streetglide for the very reason that you started this thread. If the ABS doesnt work in my SS, I will skid. If it fails on my Harley, I fall down and get an ambulance ride. If I backed into something because the sensors failed I would be very pissed off. Since getting my 2010 1SS I have become very good at parking utilizing the mirrors.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #26
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
If that truly is the case it's a sad commentary on their software/mechanical engineering team. I lead a team of programmers at work and code myself, the the case you stated about delay due to variable speed would be solved with a very simple calculation that adjusted the sensor firing rate to match. As the car speeds up, there is a linear relationship with the increase in firing rate you'd need to maintain for the sensors to continue to judge distance in the same way. That said, I bet sensors with variable timing are much more expensive than sensors that fire at a fixed speed.
Exactly. They can easily do that, but it would no longer be cost effective.
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
The sensors are a nice secondary warning but I don't rely on them. I want to SEE what's behind me. Therefore, I'm installing a backup camera from a 2012 Camaro and feeding it to a new double din head unit.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #28
LS3CAM
TheBeerMan

Drives: 2010 RS/2SS Camaro LS3 CGM Sunroof
Mine always works, but will sometimes give a false alarm when backing out of my garage. Not sure why.
LS3CAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, bug, malfunction