Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 09-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
silly question on Abs Throttle Position...

Ok... was goofing around today with my MSD Dashhawk... I noticed today when I go WOT the pedal position reads 100%, Commanded Throttle Position reads 100% BUT Absolute Throttle Position only read 82%...

Is that the ECU limiting how much power the LLT can make? I know no one has a tune out for the LLT... but would theoretically if we could get the throttle to open up more would the car make more power?

Sorry for the newbie question...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
I can only speculate, but it might be that a WOT request is resolved by the computer analyzing the air density and flow rate and can only provide an 82% capacity in fuel to keep the fuel to air ratio in its optimum range. Not sure what a tune could do to change this, I'd really love to see the data tables this ECU works from.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
That is a weird quirk in the cars computer, that 82% its showing is actually 100% like you want. Its pretty common on these GM computers, unfortunately there is not 18% more power hiding if you could just open the throttle more lol, I wish there was my SS would really be flying!

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
JohnForeman

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
we had this same issue on our 6.1 Hemi's. Come to find out the throttle butterfly was opening 100%. I can't remember what the details were regarding why the Dash Hawk was only showing ~80%
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85LSX View Post
That is a weird quirk in the cars computer, that 82% its showing is actually 100% like you want. Its pretty common on these GM computers, unfortunately there is not 18% more power hiding if you could just open the throttle more lol, I wish there was my SS would really be flying!
Since the car uses a "Torque Based Management System"... does that mean the ECU has a set amount of torque the motor can make? I know there was talk about how this car would "de-tune" itself a bit as you added performance mods... wonder if I'm starting to see that? So does the ECU say you are making the maximum power at 82% Abs Throttle, sorry you can't have any more... ??? Wish I had data logged this when the car was stock! LOL
Old 09-27-2009, 09:49 AM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnForeman View Post
we had this same issue on our 6.1 Hemi's. Come to find out the throttle butterfly was opening 100%. I can't remember what the details were regarding why the Dash Hawk was only showing ~80%
Ahhh... i'll have to check that out!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Since the car uses a "Torque Based Management System"... does that mean the ECU has a set amount of torque the motor can make? I know there was talk about how this car would "de-tune" itself a bit as you added performance mods... wonder if I'm starting to see that? So does the ECU say you are making the maximum power at 82% Abs Throttle, sorry you can't have any more... ??? Wish I had data logged this when the car was stock! LOL
Yes, usually under torque management there are limits set as to how much torque the car can make in each gear and the ECU can close the throttle too if these values are exceeded it can also pull spark cut fuel ect. ect. But like I said earlier that 82% its showing is really 100% its just how these computers work. If you search the Hp Tuners board there are threads about this with a good explanation that I can not remember lol

On my SS the max position it shows is 84% even though the TPS is at 100%. . . I have an idea though push the gas pedal through the floor to 118% TPS and see if the abs throttle goes up to 100%. Let me know the results of this experiment if you try it if it works I'll just have to hit the GYM more lol

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote