Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #85
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
$940 destination fee... LOL!!!! That's just greedy!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:21 AM   #86
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Not surprising to me at all given the TRD Pro is basically the lone competition. The Raptor is in a segment/league of its' own. The generic mid/full size comparison overlap is unfair given you're buying a fully loaded version of one or a stripped down of the other.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #87
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Yeah, after the initial sticker shock of over $40k, this thing is priced more or less where it should be. In fact GM-Trucks.com seems surprised it wasn't more.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #88
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's priced right in line with the TRD Pro. Only difference is Tacoma's only available as a Crew Cab in that trim.
TRD PRO is also available with a 6 speed manual.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #89
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
It's priced good enough to stay on my shopping list!

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #90
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
You seem surprised. The mid size truck segment is not cheap. Never was. Never will be. It's certainly not going to be cheap with this sort of "niche" model that everybody is going to buy, but never off road it. It's target is a much smaller group of buyers. People who would never say, "OH it's too expensive I can get a full size for that." You either want a smaller truck, or you don't.

Not to mention you want it to be 3 grand cheaper, but are willing to spend 12 grand more than your high of 38 to get a full size. That really made me laugh. Thank you for that. Something tells me you wanted a Raptor before the price of the ZR2 was out, and you still want a Raptor now.
You assume wrong.. All I have ever owned is Chevy's. And unlike anyone here I still own a ZR2, drove in to work today in my ZR2, and have owned ZR2's since August of '96. My '02 ZR2 when it was new was 22K.. which today is considered cheap, but now it barely gets you into a 4cyl, 2wd Colorado. Yes time goes on and there is inflation yada yada yada,, but I digress.

The 3 grand number I come up with is based on the price of a Colorado Z71 4x4 ext cab with tow package, that configuration comes out a bit above 34K.

Stop and think what really is added on the ZR2 versus the Z71?
Yes it has improved suspension, how much is that worth?
Improved shocks
Front and rear E locker vs. mechanical lockers
better tires and rims

Final price should be in the 37K - 38K range if you exclude the fluff I mentioned.

As to the Raptor comment, I compare it to the Raptor because it is a highly desired off-road truck and if you are going to have a Colorado ZR2 in shouting distance of the price of 50K then it can and should affect sales if the price is close to a Raptor. You cannot have a fullsize price on a midsize truck.

A 50K Raptor gets you a better truck(and how I do not like admitting this, since I am no fan of Ford) with a 450hp motor that also has a better resale value than the ZR2 ever will. That is why IMO I believe the ZR2 should start in the high 30's, to differentiate it from a Raptor since it will never be on par with a Raptor.

I want the ZR2's to sell well, not sit on the car lots like the 6th gen because the price is too high.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #91
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
This price of $40K is more than reasonable given that we paid for a midsize LTZ equipped Equinox that priced out over $36K after discounts a few years ago for my wife and this is a niche midsize off-road truck.

We wanted a midsize and didn't need or want a full size and price would not have changed that. I bought her a top of the line new '01 Tahoe LT after discounts for about the same price but we don't need that much now as empty nesters so the price to size argument was not a factor, it would just be wasteful for us.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #92
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
You assume wrong.. All I have ever owned is Chevy's. And unlike anyone here I still own a ZR2, drove in to work today in my ZR2, and have owned ZR2's since August of '96. My '02 ZR2 when it was new was 22K.. which today is considered cheap, but now it barely gets you into a 4cyl, 2wd Colorado. Yes time goes on and there is inflation yada yada yada,, but I digress.

The 3 grand number I come up with is based on the price of a Colorado Z71 4x4 ext cab with tow package, that configuration comes out a bit above 34K.

Improved shocks
better tires and rims

Final price should be in the 37K - 38K range if you exclude the fluff I mentioned.

As to the Raptor comment, I compare it to the Raptor because it is a highly desired off-road truck and if you are going to have a Colorado ZR2 in shouting distance of the price of 50K then it can and should affect sales if the price is close to a Raptor. You cannot have a fullsize price on a midsize truck.

A 50K Raptor gets you a better truck(and how I do not like admitting this, since I am no fan of Ford) with a 450hp motor that also has a better resale value than the ZR2 ever will. That is why IMO I believe the ZR2 should start in the high 30's, to differentiate it from a Raptor since it will never be on par with a Raptor.

I want the ZR2's to sell well, not sit on the car lots like the 6th gen because the price is too high.
Top of the line midsize trucks have for a long time been priced near or above the fullsize price and I fell victim to this thinking decades ago as a friend of mine bought a loaded LTX Ranger back in the early '90's and I thought why spend that kinda full size money on a small truck. I understand now more than ever that his needs did not require a fullsize and he didn't want to settle.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #93
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:

Improved shocks
better tires and rims

I think it's important to note what someone just brought up at GMI...

A $48k Raptor doesn't exist right now. Either dealers are ordering the higher-spec models or slapping market adjustments on them.

I've been looking through the comments section on a lot of media outlets on their ZR2 pricing posts and most everyone is satisfied with $41k base or even impressed with that price point.

Also, I think you're underestimating how much the upgraded suspension components are. From what I understand, a lot of those parts weren't cheap.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #94
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Its price is right where I thought it would be. Definitely not a cheap truck, but wasn't expecting it to be cheap
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #95
john797

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro LS3
I think I'll be getting one next year to replace my 2010 SS. I have an 07 3/4 crew cab diesel for pulling our horse trailers, tractors, and hay but would like a smaller truck to get around on our hunting property. I think the price is about right for what you're getting even at the base level.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #96
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:

Improved shocks
better tires and rims

I'm just going to ramble on if you don't want to read that's fine by me.

I love that you own a ZR2. They were cool trucks. I used to swap my camaro for an SS S10 a friend of mine owned every now and then. Loved that truck. I loved the size of it. I would have to say I always viewed the S10 pickup as more of a compact truck than a midsize. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not thinking inflation, but i'm seeing a lot more truck in the colorado than the S10 ever dreamed of. Hence the much larger price.

I'm not sure where you're buying your trucks at, but in my area mid-size trucks hold their value like they are made of gold. That's about all I have on that.

The Raptor...Hmm I'm just not seeing it. First, the colorado already has the full size price on a mid size truck. Sales are fine. The ZR2 isn't going to sell like hotcakes. I do not believe it was designed to. I think the price of bringing this model to the table will be transferred to the people wanting to buy it. That said, i'm not seeing many people going crazy at the dinner table over a 9 thousand dollar difference between two similar, but yet totally different trucks. I still think they are going to go with the truck they wanted in the first place.

The price is right in line with where is should be. In fact it's actually cheaper than I expected. Do I expect it to sell millions of units? Nope. Will it be around forever? nope. Does GM know they have a product that people want? Definitely. Do I think people should nab them up while they can?

Yeah, i'd be placing my order if I were in the market. But I'm waiting for something a little different to hit the Colorado. More in terms of an LT1. It won't happen, but I'll keep waiting.

Just off on a rant now.

Some of you guys continually compare mid size to full size trucks and think people are simply going to flock to a full size cause the price is the same. They are still different trucks, and anybody that still has their senses upon them will see that. I don't go to a car lot and cross shop different size sedans when I know I want a small one. That just wouldn't make sense.

I've seen guys go through this time and time again. They go to the dealer, and they have one midsize on their lot. Dealers use that as a way to get you to spend a little more cash. They say, "well for just a little more money i can get you in a full size". EVERY TIME! And it works, cause they get caught up in the moment, and buy the full size because the dealer fed them the sale. That's their job. It's 50/50 after that. Either they are happy with the full size, or they regret it 6 months down the road. Same goes for any vehicle you buy. Maybe I just don't think like everybody else, but that's how I see it.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #97
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Resonable price increase for that level of hardware... Think I'll be placing a 2018 order and trade the 2016 in on it
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #98
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Too F'ing much!

Eliminate as standard and make optional:

Remote vehicle starter system
Rear window electric defogger (never had my rear window fog up on my truck)
MyLink Radio with Navigation and an 8-inch diagonal color touchscreen (Nav.. umm no)
Wireless phone charging (comes with 4USB ports.. why even have this)
Spray-on bedliner

Price the truck at 38K with destination charge.

9K more and I get a Raptor... once again GM screws up on the price point.

Grrrr...
Complains b/c its "only" 9 - 10 grand less than a Raptor.

Sorry, but this seems a bit silly.

That is a significant amount of money for most people. Ford price might not include destination, so it might be closer to 10K (why I said 9 - 10 K). Also, its cost is less than a Tacoma TRD Pro which is very likely a worse performer, offering less features. Is that truck overpriced then as well?