Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
NoDakZ/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28 CTF
Twin Turbo Oil Issue

Alright guys I was holding off on posting to see if I could track down the problem on my own but with so many different opinions and strike outs I need to ask you guys.

So my issue, I'm getting blue smoke (oil) out of the ass end at high RPM shifting. Basically when I lift and shift, back on the throttle it doesn't do it. I have had the Huron kit now for two race seasons, I love everything about it other than the oil evacuation. So I had to rebuild a turbo this spring (Precision 6266 .82 AR), oil in exhaust housing. I upgraded the return pump last year hoping it fixed the issue which it did not. The car doesn't smoke on start up, not idle, not normal driving. This leads me to believe a few things, drain issues which I can't imagine (-10an return lines and -4an feed), possibly adding a restrictor (a no no on journal bearing turbos), catch can routing or god forbid I'm pushing oil through the rings, I have not done a leak down.

I run the MM wild kit (-10an), I attached the image of my routing, yes not the best but I did it quick to send to Dave at MM, and really didn't get a straight forward answer if this is the best routing/setup for my application. He did suggest up sizing the nipple on pcv valve itself. So this is where I need your help, I cannot continue rebuilding turbos every spring. Well, if that's what it take then whatever, but I would prefer not too. I'm hoping no one else has my issue but if you have or had similar issues please help a guy out, thanks!

Car info:
HSP twin kit
PT6266
4an feed, 10an return to oil pan not cap
exa-pump
FIC 1000
Fore dual 450, -8an feed stock return
TSP springs, retainers, push rods, trunions
TSP stage 2 turbo cam

Attachment 990223
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM

Last edited by NoDakZ/28; 03-16-2022 at 02:57 PM.
NoDakZ/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #2
Omega

Drives: G8
What oil pump are you using?

Where is your return located exactly, could you plumb the return to the fill cap/valve cover easily? I wonder if oil is sloshing into/over the return and blacking up the oil flow

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
I have an AGP kit and when I was manual I would push smoke between shifts. it has nothing to do with catch can or PCV.

What happen is you are sitting at an amazingly high number of pressure in the turbine or compressor, when you let off and that goes from lets say +15 to -20 vacuum. that vacuum pulls or pushes oil through the seals in the turbo directly into the hot exhaust which vaporizes it. its just one of those normal things you will get used too.
2015 Camaro SS, LS3 Stroker, PRC heads,CUSTOM CAM. AGP 68/68 with custom Hot and Cold side. Fore triple pumps, Holley terminator X. BMR drag suspension with carlyle brake kit. 15" ET drags and 17" skinnies. ZL1 3.73 gears , aluminum driveshaft. TH400 with circle D converter.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Had the same issue and it was a turbo doing it. My guess is somehow oil was getting past the seal and into the turbine housing. Essentially anytime going from boost to high vacuum like mentioned above. I have an agp kit as well and that same turbo ended up seizing up and AGP sent me a replacement and it never smoked again.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
What oil pump are you using?

Where is your return located exactly, could you plumb the return to the fill cap/valve cover easily? I wonder if oil is sloshing into/over the return and blacking up the oil flow

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Turbowerx Exa-Pump, my I tapped my pan on the passenger side. I am running the MM wild can and that uses the oil cap location, that's why I tapped the pan instead.
Attachment 990609

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillshooter View Post
I have an AGP kit and when I was manual I would push smoke between shifts. it has nothing to do with catch can or PCV.

What happen is you are sitting at an amazingly high number of pressure in the turbine or compressor, when you let off and that goes from lets say +15 to -20 vacuum. that vacuum pulls or pushes oil through the seals in the turbo directly into the hot exhaust which vaporizes it. its just one of those normal things you will get used too.

I know its not the end of the world, just more concerned about having to replace seals more often then I would like, thanks for chiming in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
Had the same issue and it was a turbo doing it. My guess is somehow oil was getting past the seal and into the turbine housing. Essentially anytime going from boost to high vacuum like mentioned above. I have an agp kit as well and that same turbo ended up seizing up and AGP sent me a replacement and it never smoked again.

Yeah, and I do know Precision is known for having to rebuild turbos more than other brands, can't win I suppose! Thanks for chiming in!
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM

Last edited by NoDakZ/28; 03-16-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:59 AM   #6
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillshooter View Post

Words of wisdom!

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #7
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Probably need to adjust your airflow final minimum table to not close the throttle so tight at higher airflow points. Anything that changes how much air your engine ingests requires this table to be readjusted. Change cam, displacement or even just porting heads.
Not doing this will create vacuum in the exhaust manifold and suck the oil through the turbo and into the exhaust stream for a second.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Probably need to adjust your airflow final minimum table to not close the throttle so tight at higher airflow points. Anything that changes how much air your engine ingests requires this table to be readjusted. Change cam, displacement or even just porting heads.
Not doing this will create vacuum in the exhaust manifold and suck the oil through the turbo and into the exhaust stream for a second.

I will check with my tuner, thank you!
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 06-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Exactly !

It's a daft notion that could occur.

how much smoke are you actually talking about, and are you sure it's oil ?

Like clouds of it ?

And you're breather drawing appears to have one valve cover connected directly to a turbo inlet......with no oil/air separation or filtration. That would obviously draw air into the turbo inlet.

Unless the drawing is inaccurate.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:08 PM   #10
fleebag

Drives: Moneypit
I had that issue with my journal comps, I added restrictor at the Y where it fed the turbos. Kept going down in size until no smoke.
I’ve since went to the oil less version so all good.
Good luck tho
fleebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #11
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Exactly !

It's a daft notion that could occur.

how much smoke are you actually talking about, and are you sure it's oil ?

Like clouds of it ?

And you're breather drawing appears to have one valve cover connected directly to a turbo inlet......with no oil/air separation or filtration. That would obviously draw air into the turbo inlet.

Unless the drawing is inaccurate.

I'm getting a puff of blue smoke so oil, I wouldn't say its a lot but noticeable to me in the rear view mirror. Yes the driver side valve cover is connected to the intake pipe on the driver side turbo. This catch can routing and can setup is via Mightymouse Dave himself.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM
Old 06-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDak1LE View Post
I'm getting a puff of blue smoke so oil, I wouldn't say its a lot but noticeable to me in the rear view mirror. Yes the driver side valve cover is connected to the intake pipe on the driver side turbo. This catch can routing and can setup is via Mightymouse Dave himself.
I have my MM can routed the same way. Trust me its the turbos.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #13
steve7251

Drives: 2010 camaro
My was doing that, I redid the lines for the PVC. The mighty mouse can has the one way fillter? I plugged the valley cover.
Attached Images

steve7251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #14
NoDakZ/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve7251 View Post
My was doing that, I redid the lines for the PVC. The mighty mouse can has the one way fillter? I plugged the valley cover.

Correct, mine has the one way filter in the can and my valley port is plugged.
2014 Z/28 #99008 CTF SIM