Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
V6 info you might not all know about

While up at BBOMG in Canada, I toured the camaro plant as well as the brake/suspension plant. Found out that those of us that have a V6 with RS package and manual transmission also receive the SS axles and suspension parts! The guy that was giving the tour said that basically we have everything the SS's get except the Brembo's!!! How cool is that??? This is fact, straight from the horses mouth so to speak
Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
ummm.... Not sure I buy that. I was there too, didn't hear it but maybe. I actually wasnt aware any V6s got different axels from V8s. Also, I did a spring and sway swap on a 2010 2LT/RS M6 and it made a difference in ride height and handling (per the owner of the car).

Not saying youre lying... just doesnt make sense.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
vinman

I looked at the half shafts the non rs v6's got compared to the SS version and they are thicker almost all the way to the splines, they get just a bit skinnier as they go in, so I got under mine and checked, sure enough I have the SS half shafts, next time you have access to a v6 model non rs or auto take a look and then take a look at yours.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
this is true minus the suspension however. We still have the FE3 suspension and it is a half inch higher then the SS. We do have the same axels for the m6 rs's
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Its too bad our transmissions are garbage because everything else on the V6 is pretty rock solid.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
While up at BBOMG in Canada, I toured the camaro plant as well as the brake/suspension plant. Found out that those of us that have a V6 with RS package and manual transmission also receive the SS axles and suspension parts! The guy that was giving the tour said that basically we have everything the SS's get except the Brembo's!!! How cool is that??? This is fact, straight from the horses mouth so to speak
I went to the Martinrea Plant were they assemble the cars suspension & Yes they are the same except for one piece(I think it was the trailing arm(forgot))..OF course the springs & Brakes.
The V6 manuals are the same axles 3.27 as the V8s Auto.
The RS package has nothing to do with the Suspesion.
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
RickRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #7
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRay View Post
I went to the Martinrea Plant were they assemble the cars suspension & Yes they are the same except for one piece(I think it was the trailing arm(forgot))..OF course the springs & Brakes.
The V6 manuals are the same axles 3.27 as the V8s Auto.
The RS package has nothing to do with the Suspesion.
+1
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
nak3dsnake

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
I looked at the half shafts the non rs v6's got compared to the SS version and they are thicker almost all the way to the splines, they get just a bit skinnier as they go in, so I got under mine and checked, sure enough I have the SS half shafts, next time you have access to a v6 model non rs or auto take a look and then take a look at yours.
RS has nothing to do with the suspension options on the car, and that is fact. All V6 Camaros come standard with the FE2 package, SS is FE3. FE3 has slightly bigger bars, stiffer springs, and shocks struts with different damping rates. How ever opting for the manual transmission gives you the SS auto LSD 3.27 rear, half shafts, and spindles. I've seen the underside of an auto RS and it has zero SS parts. This guy is just straight up wrong about half of what he says. Hell even Gm says that my 2010 V6 uses the T-56 on the online ordering catalog but we all know that's wrong too.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.

Last edited by nak3dsnake; 07-25-2011 at 07:45 AM.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
vinman

The rs package gives you the 20" wheels which between that and the manual tranny is more than likely the reason for the upgraded halfshafts and such, as far as the rest of it maybe I misunderstood, but the guy giving the tour was the 2nd or 3rd in charge there and he made it sound like we got a bunch of the SS stuff when ordering with those options, thanks for not biting my head off......just thought it was cool and was rather excited hearing that
Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I've not heard this...although that doesn't mean I think your wrong.

Maybe it was something they did for the 2011s and not the 2010s? Just a thought
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
vinman

Sounds like I was only half right as the others were quick to point out, the only things that seemed to migrate to the V6 rs m6 were the shafts and gears, still cool though :-)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I remember Efpardo telling me he heard the same thing last year. I didn't pay quite enough attention to remember that specifically.

I will say this though, my neighbor took my car for a drive when I first got it and mentioned "oversteer" when all of what I read about the SS was "Understeer"

Since he often takes trips on the tracks with his mini, I do value his input.