Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #113
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I've already gotten my Zaino stuff and practiced on my current car, but I was wondering if I should do anything different on the RJT color? I know pretty much nothing about paint and was wondering since it is a "tintcoat" if I should do or not do something to it that I would normally do/not do to a regular color.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #114
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
I've already gotten my Zaino stuff and practiced on my current car, but I was wondering if I should do anything different on the RJT color? I know pretty much nothing about paint and was wondering since it is a "tintcoat" if I should do or not do something to it that I would normally do/not do to a regular color.

got me on that one Iv'e never come into that situation before

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #115
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
got me on that one Iv'e never come into that situation before
Hmm ok. Well I was just wondering cause I know the rest of the colors are clear coats, and Zaino says that is what most of their products are intended for. I would think all modern car colors are clear coats, even if they are multi-layered (more than usual) like RJT.
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #116
AlaskaZ06

Drives: 1968 RS/SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
Zaino has been testing various Micro-Fiber products. Unfortunately, the jury is still out on them. Some of them are excellent and do not scratch. Others are terrible and definitely scratch. The quality control of these products from overseas, especially Korea, is not consistent, so you never know if they will be the same scratch-free quality. Even when using the same brand, we found the quality to be inconsistent. For now, we do not recommend using them. However, lab testing is ongoing, and we will post an update when we have more conclusive results.

Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.

You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.

When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softener. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages (borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Where to buy towels........

Some name brands make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is a lower quality towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my high quality towels at stores like Linens and Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond.

I realize that Cannon-Fieldcrest aka (Pillowtex) is no longer in business... but there are plenty of other towels still available. I buy all my Cannon & Fieldcrest towels in the Bath & Linen shops in the bigger stores in the mall. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel. You can also try Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Beyond... If you cannot find the Cannon or Fieldcrest line, then any high quality substitute towel from the above stores is acceptable.

These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.

I get mine here http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

Great Info.. And great towels
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette convertible
1971 Corvette convertible
1968 RS/SS 396 Camaro
2009 335i xdrive BMW[/B]
AlaskaZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #117
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Tintcoat should be treated like any other clearcoat. All they do is tint the final coat of clear. Its still clear coat.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #118
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
This (to me) is one of the best threads on here rite now, thanks guys for
the great info.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #119
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Any special consideration for the vinyl stripes?

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #120
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
Any special consideration for the vinyl stripes?
Just use the same polish, whatever that may be, on them as you do the rest of the car.

IMO, nothing more is required. I Zainoed the stripes on my brothers 'Hawk, and they always looked good.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #121
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
I bought my 100% american made white towels from Linens & Things.They were closing that store and everything was marked down.I think I paid $2 each.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #122
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I've never waxed/polished a car before, but I think I want to use the Zaino system on this one. I want it to look great and have better protection

Is there anything that a "newbie" should know about applying these products? Mostly regarding time & difficulty I guess... I'm just worried that I won't do it right. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #123
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Hmm I'm still confused.

ZAIO or Z2? Or Both?

Honestly mine is a daily driver and I'm not a detail guy... maybe ZAIO is what I need?
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #124
bengen5

Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
ive been using zaino since 04 when i got a silver RSX, TAKE YOUR TIME AND DO IT STEP BY STEP !! and you should bee fine and after i did the first applications and the sun hit the car it blinded me, it turned the car into a mirror and i was impressed, i used it onn
my truck last summer but i was in a hurry and didnt get the water spots off the back window before i zainoed and they are still there, so just wanted to make sure know one makes that mistake is just take your time, hope that helps
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #125
bengen5

Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
oh and one more thing, may want to consider using cotton diapers, they make adult sizes too, i use one to dry the car after wash and another to wipe off the wax
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #126
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
Awesome just cant get over that car. What zaino products did u use. The Z-CS? Seems the triple pack is a great combo. I didnt get the clay bar but am anticipateing it. Like I said would have orderd more from them but they wouldnt take pay pal.
I clayed it then 4 coats of Z5 then 4 coats of Z2 and sprayed the Z6 bewteen each coat. I didn't use the drops but I'm going to because I read that it makes the polish a bit harder. Zainos good stuff
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote