Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What should I do now?
Repair her 12 42.86%
Sell her 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
AshleyOhio

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Smile The Great Marriage Debate: Save it or sell it

2011 Camaro. 167K miles. Purchased 6 weeks ago for $9300 out the door. As-is. Guess what happened?

3 weeks ago, I exited the freeway after an 8 mile stretch. At the light, she said THU-THUNK and never started again. No smoke. No warning lights. Nothing. The diagnostic says something about the cam being out of time with something else and I need an engine.

Debate:
Husband says I should sell my car to the highest bidder, currently 3K, and be done with it.

I think I should put an engine in it for 5400 and live happily ever after, never to worry about the engine or anything ever again. I mean, buying a car with the 3K will just get me a junk car. Am I being stubborn? Should I throw in the towel and buy a Honda?

I was wrong to not have the car checked by a mechanic before I bought her and I dont want to make another. But I also feel like she's my baby and I rescued her from a life of poor maintenance.

Someone, please, just tell me what to do.

Note: I am broke, she will sit quietly for 6 months. That's how long it will take me to save the money for another engine.
AshleyOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:49 PM   #2
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyOhio View Post
2011 Camaro. 167K miles. Purchased 6 weeks ago for $9300 out the door. As-is. Guess what happened?

3 weeks ago, I exited the freeway after an 8 mile stretch. At the light, she said THU-THUNK and never started again. No smoke. No warning lights. Nothing. The diagnostic says something about the cam being out of time with something else and I need an engine.

Debate:
Husband says I should sell my car to the highest bidder, currently 3K, and be done with it.

I think I should put an engine in it for 5400 and live happily ever after, never to worry about the engine or anything ever again. I mean, buying a car with the 3K will just get me a junk car. Am I being stubborn? Should I throw in the towel and buy a Honda?

I was wrong to not have the car checked by a mechanic before I bought her and I dont want to make another. But I also feel like she's my baby and I rescued her from a life of poor maintenance.

Someone, please, just tell me what to do.

Note: I am broke, she will sit quietly for 6 months. That's how long it will take me to save the money for another engine.
Need more information is it a v6 v8 how do you know it's not repairable?
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
If you are going to have to rely on a mechanic other than yourself to make the repairs it can get very costly. If you have a reliable and affordable shop to make the repairs then you may want to consider that route. If, as you say, you rescued the car from a life of poor maintenance you are likely to find other issues with the transmission, rear end, etc. It all depends on what you want, if you are happy with the car then repair it.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
First check your local laws. Most states have a "lemon law" no matter how it is sold if you pay a certain amount there is a state like warranty the seller must honor. CT its 30days for purchases under something like 3-6k 60 days above 6k (just guesses don't know the actual numbers. If you can do the work I would rebuild it. Even if you can't if it's a car you love you may want to rebuild it. May not need an engine might just need pistons and valves or a head. Definitely need more info. A lot of mechanics will just say replace the engine, when it can be rebuilt. A used engine is cheaper, rebuilding is middle of the road and a crate motor is the most expensive route typically depending on the level of rebuild needed.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
It pains me to click the sell her button, but if you're broke you don't need extras in your life right now, you need reliable transportation to get to and from work so that you can work on getting "un-broke". If you were in a different financial situation I'd say fix it with an upgraded engine and supporting mods and drive the hell out of it, with proper maintenance performed. This is just going to be a hard $9k lesson in what not to do but a car shouldn't be more important than a quality spouse.

On a side note, if you want to have some advice on how to get out of the rut of being broke, my wife and I discovered Dave Ramsey's book "The Total Money Makeover" and have worked through many of his steps on obtaining financial peace. It's great material that works without being rocket science to figure out and I highly recommend it. We went through his Financial Peace University class just to get a little better grip on our money, but it ended up strengthening our marriage as well.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Realize that you will not see the $5400 back in value. If the car has a great body and is in otherwise excellent condition then this could be either a yes or a no. If you keep it a few years then you would've earned all or most of the money you put into it.

As is, if you sell now you stand to lose about $55 or $5600 roughly. Its a kick in the pants, but if you have the money and if you are desiring something else, then you could cut your losses and be done with it.

Look at both options and decide what's best for your situation. Good luck.

Edit: Just as a side suggestion, in the future stay away from high mileage cars for sale in general, unless you know the car and its owner very well.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #7
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
need more info.is your camaro rusty or dented,or is the body and interior pretty good?maybe a used engine with low miles could be found,or perhaps somone in your family is a mechanic.selling for 3k would sure be a kick in the pants.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I suspect it's a v6. At this point I would sell. These are great cars, but it's not worth going further upside down in a car that will only depreciate, especially with that mileage.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I suspect it's a v6.
I agree. And it sounds like a broken timing chain. Since the V6 is an interference engine it is a goner.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #10
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
or you could part out the husband and buy a ZL-1 with the proceeds...just sayin.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #11
BehindBlueI's

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Eject, goose, eject. A poorly maintained vehicle with 167k? Engine isn't going to the only issue.
BehindBlueI's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
or you could part out the husband and buy a ZL-1 with the proceeds...just sayin.
Double indemnity. I watch too much Investigation Discovery.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #13
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
You may have never been able to tell if the engine was about to let go when if you had someone look at it. If its a V6 i probly wouldn't fix it. Personal preference. Everything is rebuildable, if you rebuild the engine you are committed and should keep it forever. If there's no rust and rot, keep it that way and just keep fixing it.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #14
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Not knowing which engine you have, it's hard to suggest anything. But knowing that you are already broke $ wise, makes it kinda easier. I hate telling someone that loves their car to sell it.

Regardless, we need more Ashley's on this site.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote