Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-14-2020, 11:29 PM   #1
trossit

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
Driving in Forest Fire Smoke

Hi everyone, I am up in Portland, Oregon and the forest fire smoke is unbearable to breath. It's considered hazardous. I have not driven my Camaro for 3 days but did take it for a quick trip today across the street to get groceries. Engine ran for about 10 minutes. I think some of these smoke particles are so small they will make it past the air filter and into the engine. Does anyone feel this would be harmful to an engine? I know they are harmful to me so I wear a N95 mask.
trossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
A N95 mask won't protect you from the harmful gasses associated with the smoke like CO or really most of the particles unless you're clean shaved and it's a mask that seals to your face. That's said, your car should be fine, especially if you're not driving it a whole lot or leaving it idle for hours on end.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
For me living in Seattle you are down in Portland. Rather than up. We have the smoke so thick like the fog. I had not thought about the impact it has on the car but my eyes and lungs can tell and there is not way to avoid it. Be it inside or outside.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Car can be replaced, but I highly doubt you want to replace your lungs so I wouldn’t really worry about the car so much. Get a better mask if you want to have an easier time breathing
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
trossit

Thanks for all your responses. I was fortunate enough to stay indoors for 3 days. When you walk outside its like having you head 10 feet above a burning barrel. Nasty stuff. The burnt popcorn seed smell also clings to you clothes much like cigarette smoke does. Conditions are supposed to improve slightly today....and even more the following day.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
trossit

Hang in there Lee, conditions will improve the next few days. I will never take fresh air for granted again.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Definitely wash and dry the car completely if ash is settling down on the paint, it's acidic when water is present, including morning dew.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I never thought much about the car either. In CA it’s seems like it’s been smoky a month. I don’t drive it everyday though. I can tell you this, here in the Republik, there were like three levels of ash. There was the very fine talc-like covering and medium to large ash flakes. I suspect the filter caught the flakes but some fine talc might have made it through. Had I driven more I might consigned changing oil. But I just did prior to the fires. Dammit.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trossit View Post
Hi everyone, I am up in Portland, Oregon and the forest fire smoke is unbearable to breath. It's considered hazardous. I have not driven my Camaro for 3 days but did take it for a quick trip today across the street to get groceries. Engine ran for about 10 minutes. I think some of these smoke particles are so small they will make it past the air filter and into the engine. Does anyone feel this would be harmful to an engine? I know they are harmful to me so I wear a N95 mask.
I'm over in the Salem area and have had pretty thick smoke too. I havent ventured out except to the garage for a quick minute when needed. As far as the N95 mask, it's better than nothing and is the best mask you can use unless you have a respirator or gas mask. The smoke, and worse yet, ash won't kill your car and most likely your car will treat like any other contaminate and trap it in the oil. If it was volcanic ash, I would say definately dont drive or breath that unless your life depended on it. That ash will setup like cement in your lungs. my opinion.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:43 PM   #10
trossit

Thanks Quicksilver, I plan to give her a bath as soon as the air clears out. it may be a few more days. Fortunately it has a fresh coat of wax on but still....have to get this junk off.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #11
trossit

I am hoping the engine will just digest the fine particles that make it past the air filter.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:49 PM   #12
trossit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
I'm over in the Salem area and have had pretty thick smoke too. I havent ventured out except to the garage for a quick minute when needed. As far as the N95 mask, it's better than nothing and is the best mask you can use unless you have a respirator or gas mask. The smoke, and worse yet, ash won't kill your car and most likely your car will treat like any other contaminate and trap it in the oil. If it was volcanic ash, I would say definately dont drive or breath that unless your life depended on it. That ash will setup like cement in your lungs. my opinion.
I am old enough to remember the days of Mt St Helens in 1980 and the 2 weeks of ash blowing around on the roads. Back then they were advising us to place women's panty-hose over the intake of the air cleaner.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver2SS View Post
Definitely wash and dry the car completely if ash is settling down on the paint, it's acidic when water is present, including morning dew.
Good point, I need to wash my cars this weekend. I'm in northern LA and my cars are getting a light coating of ash.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #14
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Volcanic ash is microscopic jagged rocks. Definitely not good for an engine. The media seems to give a remedy to fit everyone, but pretty sure just about everything can get through pantyhose.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote