Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
trossit

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
Driving the 5th Gen in the Snow?

Since this will be my first winter with my 2012 Camaro V6 LT, 6 spd man, I was curious what others have experienced driving their Camaros in the snow and ice. Previously I was driving a 2004 Monte Carlo (front wheel-drive). I don't plan on driving my Camaro a lot in the snow but if I get caught in it I would want to get my car back home. I did recently install new Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Ultra High Performance All-Season tires on the car. These tires were a huge improvement in wet weather traction over the Toyo Proxes High Performance All-Season tires that were on it, which were downright dangerous in the rain.

What are your experiences driving your Camaro in the snow with your existing tires?
trossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
You’re likely going to want a set of dedicated snow tires and wheels. With snow tires mine is very planted and there is a lot of grip if you don’t go crazy with the gas. I swap to Michelin Xice tires and had Blizzaks at first. Blizzaks are the better ones to go with but it’s not like the Michelin’s will leave you stranded. Just a little more grip with the blizzaks
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #3
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
My son is getting a set of blizzaks for his camaro. I just can't get over how much a set of 4 cost though.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Get Blizzaks as stated and drive easy. The camaro can handle snow and ice just fine.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I threw Blizzaks on last winter and had no troubles.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #6
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Get snow tires. My first winter I tried to drive with the P Zeros. Huge mistake. On a road with a light dusting I was just spinning in place. I traded up to snow tires and a few weeks later, I got plowed in at work. I turned of traction control, gunned it, and had no issue getting over a pile of 12 inch snow. That's another thing- traction control. Learn when to use it and when to turn it off.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Spocktwin

Drives: 2015 LT RS Camaro, 1978 Trans Am
get the Blizzaks or some kind of snow tire. I also put about 150 lbs in the trunk (kitty litter) and had no issue at all. I have a couple of pretty steep hills to deal with and all went well.
Spocktwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I slid into an intersection last year and thankfully oncoming traffic wasn't bearing down on me, but it was one of the scariest moments of my life. I just got winter tires delivered a week or so ago, I'm not chancing that again.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
You’re likely going to want a set of dedicated snow tires and wheels. With snow tires mine is very planted and there is a lot of grip if you don’t go crazy with the gas. I swap to Michelin Xice tires and had Blizzaks at first. Blizzaks are the better ones to go with but it’s not like the Michelin’s will leave you stranded. Just a little more grip with the blizzaks

What are you using for wheels? Are these tires studded? What size for the ss/rs?
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I had all seasons on last winter, Nitto Motivos. Wasn’t horrible, but this year I am putting on Blizzaks. I’ve been driving on snow and ice for 30 years, rear and front wheel drive and 4wd. Just drive smart, that is always the rule.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #11
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE

we have this for winter. AWD with studded winter tyres its impossible to ever get caught out
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #12
trossit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocktwin View Post
get the Blizzaks or some kind of snow tire. I also put about 150 lbs in the trunk (kitty litter) and had no issue at all. I have a couple of pretty steep hills to deal with and all went well.
As an alternative, is just 2 snow tires for the rear only a bad idea?
Old 10-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
trossit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocktwin View Post
Thats a good idea with the weight, and a full tank of gas helps too....another 125 pounds.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #14
chasmanian

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
What kind of tires do you have now? If they are summer tires, then yes, only two tires is a bad idea. Your front end while be difficult to steer. You can go forward, but not control which way. If you have all seasons, you can probably get away with only backs.
chasmanian is offline   Reply With Quote