Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Abdi
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LE
Ohlins Camaro

Hey guys I got an early Christmas present this week. My wife bought me a set of Ohlins Road and Track coilovers part # CHS MP00. These were ordered with the recommended spring rates of 70N/mm front and 110N/mm rear. Roughly 400lbs front and 628lbs rear. I'm hoping these will make a nice upgrade from the stock yet already robust 1LE set up that has been removed. Just like the name on these, I think they will do a good job on the street and improve the precision of the car on the track. I had some really positive experiences with Ohlins on my previous STi and 330i. Some info that I know about Ohlins is that they do not sponsor any race teams. The teams that use Ohlins do so by choice not because it was free stuff. They do however have a significant presence in all forms of motorsports and do provide the teams that use their stuff with significant track side support. This kit was made in Sweden, as is most of their stuff where they company was founded. Those of you with motorcycles should be fairly familiar with this brand.

They will require some assembly that I know I'm capable of but I'll be heading up to AMF Motorsports in NH to get these put together by Steve Havness. AMF used to be just down the road from me many years ago in a previous marriage. Anyway, I'll take lots of pics and see if I can get a video of these on the shock dyno. I'll be able to talk with better info on the valving, and adjustability. My car is currently on jacks and somewhat torn apart for the rest of winter but I'll be ready to give impressions as soon as the weather permits.

From Ohlins description:
General
> DFV (Dual Flow Valve)
> Rebuildable
> Corrosion salt spray tested (ISO 9227) > 2 year limited warranty
> Springs ordered seperately
Front
> Conventional shock absorber
> Single bleed adjuster
> Spring preload adjuster (approx. 20 mm lower than standard) > Coil springs
> Dustcovers
Rear
> Conventional shock absorber
> Single bleed adjuster
> Spring preload adjuster (approx. 20 mm lower than standard) > Coil springs
> Dustcovers

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/...let_camaro.pdf

Not a whole lot of detail there but I'll be sure to get more from AMF and share with everyone.

Merry Christmas!
Abdi
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #2
Abdi
Account Suspended

Here are few pictures this morning. I didn't open everything up but I'll have more on Wednesday with better details.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
MarioSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (RS LS3)
Oh those look sexy!

My friend has ohlins coilovers on his e90 m3 and it rides like a beast! Very solid and at the same time way much more comfortable than the factory setup.

Best of luck my friend. Please keep us updated

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
MarioSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I didn't know Ohlins made stuff for the Camaro. Ohlins is usually top of the line suspension stuff for just about everything they do.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Wanna sell
Your current shocks and struts???
I just picked up a Challenger with Eibach coilovers and it seems to ride and handle very well those are some art work there!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/au...hs-mp00--5758/

this site has em for under 4 bucks. is that a piece or a set i wonder?
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #7
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/au...hs-mp00--5758/

this site has em for under 4 bucks. is that a piece or a set i wonder?
That's for the the whole set with springs. I would order from a U.S Ohlins authorized retailer. You'll get a better price. When you order you can specify springs rates or you can go with the recommended rates. I ordered mine directly from Jake Thompson at Ohlins USA in Hendersonville, NC as I have previously worked with him on other items not for the Camaro. My buddy at AMF would have been able to give me an even better price but I didn't realize he had moved his shop closer to NHMS when I drove by recently, and thought maybe he had sold the business.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #8
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Wanna sell
Your current shocks and struts???
I just picked up a Challenger with Eibach coilovers and it seems to ride and handle very well those are some art work there!!!
Yes I'm selling the FE6 struts, I have them matched with a set of Hotchkiss springs. I don't have the stock springs anymore. They have 25K miles on them. I'm not looking to get a lot for them so make a fair offer on them. I have a thread on the classifieds with sways bars but I'll part these out as I see you have DSE bars.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Shocks & Struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post
Yes I'm selling the FE6 struts, I have them matched with a set of Hotchkiss springs. I don't have the stock springs anymore. They have 25K miles on them. I'm not looking to get a lot for them so make a fair offer on them. I have a thread on the classifieds with sways bars but I'll part these out as I see you have DSE bars.
Not sure what fair is with 25k and a set of springs, I'm unfortunately not running the DSE bars I'm sticking with stock on the Camaro for now.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
cross-bones

Drives: 2012 L99 EU
Today I was at Ohlins Distribution and Test Center near the Nurburgring to pick up my Camaro equipped with the Road & Track Suspension as the first one in Germany. The way back was about 200km mostly on the Autobahn with much traffic but the ride improvement was instantly noticeable. Can't wait to test it with summer tires in the spring.
cross-bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #11
Abdi
Account Suspended

So UPS didn't do me any favors yesterday and I wasn't able to make it up to AMF with all of the parts I need today. The Ohlins come out of the box to be used with OE strut mounts, but I'm working a fairly well known Castor/Camber manufacturer to prototype a set that will work with the Ohlins set up without any changes to ride height and/or the need to grind, remove material from the shock tower. UPS is now showing a delivery tomorrow but I'm not sure the timing is going to work out.

I plan to bring the 1LE shocks and struts with me to put those on the dyno and look at the difference between the OE and Ohlins. I'll also get to check the serviceability of my old ones before I sell them.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:10 PM   #12
Abdi
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-bones View Post
Today I was at Ohlins Distribution and Test Center near the Nurburgring to pick up my Camaro equipped with the Road & Track Suspension as the first one in Germany. The way back was about 200km mostly on the Autobahn with much traffic but the ride improvement was instantly noticeable. Can't wait to test it with summer tires in the spring.
Any chance you could take a picture of your car, I'd love to the static ride height at the recommended setting if possible?

This past April I was able to visit the Ring for an entire weekend and I cannot get of enough of that place. My buddies and I rented a beautiful house with a view of the Nordschleife, we also made it to The Pistenklause Restaurant ordered the steak and fries with a few Bitbugers. Had an absolute blast! Can't wait to go back, hoping to catch a DTM race next time.

Cheers!
Old 12-22-2016, 01:40 AM   #13
cross-bones

Drives: 2012 L99 EU
Because I had to install my stock suspension before I brought my Camaro to Ohlins I took a measurement of the height. I had a H&R coilover suspension installed for the last 45.000km but for the beginning of their TUV-Approval it had to be stock for the inspection.

The lowering with the recommended setup of the Ohlins is -20mm in the front and -15mm in the rear. Just like advertised and I verified it when I picked up the car. So it is not for someone that buys a coilover for the look of a really lowered car. I knew that and after 4 years with the H&R I wanted performance and ride quality instead of lowrider look. I don't say the H&R was bad, otherwise I would have changed it earlier, but priorities change sometimes.

The Camaro is currently on the stock wheels with Winter tires. I will try to make a Picture and post it here.

Last edited by cross-bones; 12-22-2016 at 02:03 AM.
cross-bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #14
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
What is the total travel on these?