Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #29
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Don't forget the Scat Pack is an option for their 5.7ltr and 6.4ltr cars...So just because it has a Scat Pack doesn't necessarily mean that it's the 392...There is at least a 100 HP difference between the two motors and in their tech they have designed the power transfer to be more efficient than Chevy has, so they are not loosing a massive amount of HP as we do...I have a friend that has the 6.4ltr 392, no Scat Pack and that car even as large and heavy as it may be is a beast...So there are a lot of variable's to be taken into consideration when you're lining up against a 392 whether it is a Charger or Challenger, they make power and it transfers very well...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #30
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGO View Post
Yes I am. The tranny tune makes a lot of difference in the autos. The car throws me back to the seat when it hits third and it feels like the car is gona get away from me.

It has happen twice with the 2 stock scatpacs that I have raced. I am not the type ti brag but my car has beaten them. I say my car because I just press on the gas pedal and let the ecm and tcm take over.
Most tranny tunes are based on shift firmness...I can see you making the tires chirp in 2nd, but I don't believe that 3rd throws you back in the seat (unless your leaning forward, holding the steering wheel) nor that the rearend gets that loose...How is your car tuned, by a handheld device or dyno???

Old 02-22-2017, 04:09 AM   #31
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
Don't forget the Scat Pack is an option for their 5.7ltr and 6.4ltr cars...So just because it has a Scat Pack doesn't necessarily mean that it's the 392...
This is incorrect. The 5.7 is sold as different versions of the RT. RT, RT-Plus, RT-Shaker ETC. The Scatpack/Scatpack shaker. Only come with the 392. It's the Dodge Charger Daytona that comes in both. 5.7 and 6.4 engine configurations. Here's a link to doge's sight.

http://www.dodge.com/challenger.html
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #32
JLGO

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS convertible L99
Quote:
Most tranny tunes are based on shift firmness...I can see you making the tires chirp in 2nd, but I don't believe that 3rd throws you back in the seat (unless your leaning forward, holding the steering wheel) nor that the rearend gets that loose...How is your car tuned, by a handheld device or dyno???
It actually also chirps the tires on 3rd. When I said 3rd gear throws me back to my seat is just a figure if speech. It holds me ti my seat on third.

I have a sct with a couple of tunes that Dynosteve sent me via email. The shifts are firm and quick on the tcm tune. Running the car on a dyno to see what #s are there doesn't mean anything.

There is some if y'all that haven't driven a tune 6l80. You should try one.
JLGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 AM   #33
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGO View Post
It actually also chirps the tires on 3rd. When I said 3rd gear throws me back to my seat is just a figure if speech. It holds me ti my seat on third.

I have a sct with a couple of tunes that Dynosteve sent me via email. The shifts are firm and quick on the tcm tune. Running the car on a dyno to see what #s are there doesn't mean anything.

There is some if y'all that haven't driven a tune 6l80. You should try one.
Gotcha...Only reference to tuning method is a more refined tune by a competent dyno operator...

Old 02-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #34
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
This is incorrect. The 5.7 is sold as different versions of the RT. RT, RT-Plus, RT-Shaker ETC. The Scatpack/Scatpack shaker. Only come with the 392. It's the Dodge Charger Daytona that comes in both. 5.7 and 6.4 engine configurations. Here's a link to doge's sight.

http://www.dodge.com/challenger.html
You are correct...I didn't realize that any version of the R/T had a different motor...I wonder why they did that and just didn't market it is a base 392???

Old 02-25-2017, 02:03 PM   #35
LEADfoot927

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP
Quote:
Agreed. The only type of power that has ever truly thrown me in my seat is my current set up (See signature). To the OP, you will need as many ancillary mods as possible to keep up with a 392. You being a convertible actually brings you into their weight class (The 392 I had weighed 4,1XX), so you are at an approximately 70 hp disadvantage.

Your current mods don't really add power unless you add a tune. In addition, The 8-speed 392 competes with the new 455-hp Camaro SS. A good set of headers, stall, tires, and tune will help you run even. Driver skill also plays a big part even in an auto, practice that launch and it will also help a lot.
2010 Camaro SS L99
2011 Camaro SS Ls3
2011 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee/ Reso Delete
Current ride:
2012 GT500/ 2.3 TVS, Afco Dual pass heat exchanger, Roush Extreme Exhaust: 606 rwhp/ 611 wtq
LEADfoot927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:29 PM   #36
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Thanks for the post LEADfoot.

I'm not looking to build a drag car. This will always be a fun weekend car, doing something the Dodge could never do; putting the top down!

Plans at this point are:

3.91 rear
3200 stall
Kooks ceramic long tubes
Cat delete
ECU & Trans tunes

That should keep me occupied/satisfied for a while.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:52 PM   #37
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

I'm not looking to build a drag car. This will always be a fun weekend car, doing something the Dodge could never do; putting the top down!

Plans at this point are:

3.91 rear
3200 stall
Kooks ceramic long tubes
Cat delete
ECU & Trans tunes

Those mods will give your car a real kick in the ass for sure.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 PM   #38
LEADfoot927

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP
Quote:

Plans at this point are:

3.91 rear
3200 stall
Kooks ceramic long tubes
Cat delete
ECU & Trans tunes

With some good tires that will be a solid 12.0 car, and will be a mean setup.
2010 Camaro SS L99
2011 Camaro SS Ls3
2011 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 Super Bee/ Reso Delete
Current ride:
2012 GT500/ 2.3 TVS, Afco Dual pass heat exchanger, Roush Extreme Exhaust: 606 rwhp/ 611 wtq
LEADfoot927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 AM   #39
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Thanks guys.

You think I could see 500hp at the crank (400-415ish at the rear wheels)?
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #40
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thanks guys.

You think I could see 500hp at the crank (400-415ish at the rear wheels)?
Not with L99 nope. L99's typically don't see past 400rwhp without a cam.

No big deal though, you'll beat any LS3 with the same mods.

Reason I say that is because I actually sat there and spoke with the 2 engineers from Detroit who work for GM and actually designed our 5th gens. They specialized in the L99's from it sounded like. Because in the parking lot we talked for a while and they were pleasantly surprised at how many L99's showed up.

They said that all the L99's "to wake up" (with a huge grin on their faces) was a tune, sway bar and 3:91's.

Not sure why they specifically mentioned sway bar and 3:91's but they did.
One of the engineers favorite was the 11 L99 (because of the Camaro logo steering wheel) and said pound for pound, once you get to modding the L99's top the Ls3.

Not trynna start a war, I'm just quoting what the guys who made the 5th gen said.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #41
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Not with L99 nope. L99's typically don't see past 400rwhp without a cam.

No big deal though, you'll beat any LS3 with the same mods.

Reason I say that is because I actually sat there and spoke with the 2 engineers from Detroit who work for GM and actually designed our 5th gens. They specialized in the L99's from it sounded like. Because in the parking lot we talked for a while and they were pleasantly surprised at how many L99's showed up.

They said that all the L99's "to wake up" (with a huge grin on their faces) was a tune, sway bar and 3:91's.

Not sure why they specifically mentioned sway bar and 3:91's but they did.
One of the engineers favorite was the 11 L99 (because of the Camaro logo steering wheel) and said pound for pound, once you get to modding the L99's top the Ls3.

Not trynna start a war, I'm just quoting what the guys who made the 5th gen said.
Why did you post this lol......i have the 391s.....and tune but have a few months to go before i can test my car with its new stall and drag radials at the track. Im never doing mods again over winter.....driving me nuts waiting. I have had my car out a couple of times recently and its a hard charger.....no drag rsdials yet. Come on spring.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #42
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Why did you post this lol......i have the 391s.....and tune but have a few months to go before i can test my car with its new stall and drag radials at the track. Im never doing mods again over winter.....driving me nuts waiting. I have had my car out a couple of times recently and its a hard charger.....no drag rsdials yet. Come on spring.
lol because it was really cool to hear it from the guys who made the Camaro shut some drunk dude up.

It was like something out of a movie, so we were talking cars and then some drunk dude comes and runs his mouth about how real Camaro's are manuals and any L99 is gonna get smoked, blah blah blah.

It was annoying me because I mentioned something about my car being auto and then he ran his mouth once I said it.

So then 2 dudes in blue show up and the younger one says "Ehhh I'd beg to differ" (or something like that) then he goes on about how sophisticated the L99 is once it's tuned and then he started getting into pound for pound. After like 30 seconds of him talking I noticed he had a GM Logo on his shirt and there were a few of them.

Someone introduced them as an Engineer for GM and said something like "Yeahhhh these guys actually made the cars, so I think they know a thing or two about them."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=349179&page=7

If you scroll down a bit in the pics, that's exactly where it happened. As it got darker the younger engineer on the right side with the shot going down is the one who put the verbal smack down and shut everyone up.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=98

He was awesome, made me really proud to have an L99 and it was even better hearing it from HIM on what he felt would make our cars lay'eth the smack down on the LS3's!!
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote