Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Clj73

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM black rally stripes
Pfadt Rear Tie Rod Install

I purchased the rear control arm and tie rod kit from Apex recently. I was trying to install this along with the Pfadt springs today and ran into a problem. The bolt on the inside was installed with the nut towards the rear of the car and the bolt forward. I can't take it out because it hits the fuel tank. I am assuming that this was all put together before the rear end was put under the car and I will have to drop the rear end to change it. There is no mention in the instructions that this would be necessary. I was just wondering if my car was screwed up at the factory or am I just not smart enough to figure out a way to change it. It frustrated me so I gave up on all installs at this point. Anyone else have this problem yet?
Current Mods : Blacked Out Bowties, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI, Vmax Tb, Magnacharger TVS2300 with 3.6 pulley, ECS tensioner pulley, ARH Longtubes with Cats, Corsa Catback and Euro 33 20x10s with 275/40s and 315/35s Nitto Invos
Tuned by East Texas Muscle Cars 589.9 rwhp 548.8 rwtq

Future plans : Cam, Suspension Upgrade and Tranny Upgrade

Last edited by Clj73; 05-29-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Clj73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clj73 View Post
I purchased the rear control arm and tie rod kit from Apex recently. I was trying to install this along with the Pfadt springs today and ran into a problem. The bolt on the inside was installed with the nut towards the rear of the car and the bolt forward. I can't take it out because it hits the fuel tank. I am assuming that this was all put together before the rear end was put under the car and I will have to drop the rear end to change it. There is no mention in the instructions that this would be necessary. I was just wondering if my car was screwed up at the factory or am I just not smart enough to figure out a way to change it. It frustrated me so I gave up on all installs at this point. Anyone else have this problem yet?
I had the the same issue when I installed my Spohn Rear Toe rods. I just put a jack under the subframe and loosened the front and rear subframe bolts (drivers side only) until I lowered it enough with the jack to get the bolt out. Its still a tight squeeze but it worked. Car was up on jack stands when I did my install. There was no mention of this in the Spohn instructions either. You can do it.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
Clj73

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM black rally stripes
Thanks for the help. I will attempt this when I get some more days off I guess. If Chevy would have turned the bolt the other way it would have been just fine I guess.
Current Mods : Blacked Out Bowties, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI, Vmax Tb, Magnacharger TVS2300 with 3.6 pulley, ECS tensioner pulley, ARH Longtubes with Cats, Corsa Catback and Euro 33 20x10s with 275/40s and 315/35s Nitto Invos
Tuned by East Texas Muscle Cars 589.9 rwhp 548.8 rwtq

Future plans : Cam, Suspension Upgrade and Tranny Upgrade
Clj73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
From what I have read and been told, you can put the bolt back in backwards. That way, if you ever have to remove them again, it will be easier.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
Same on my car. I installed the Pfadt adjustable toe rods that came with new bolts so I just cut the old one off then installed the new one the opposite way.
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
That particular bolt can be pretty tricky for sure. If you disconnect the outboard side that's bolted to the spindle you will be able to flex the stock trailing arm on it's bushing enough so that the bolt can be removed. It's a bit tough the first time, but once you get the trick down it's pretty simple. If you've still got problems getting that bolt out let us know!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Blinded4freedom

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I realize I am bringing this post back from the dead but I just did the pfadt trailing arm and tie rod install on my 2014 camaro ss and thought I would weigh in. I seemed to run into all the problems that were brought up in this post and I found that pfadt gave the most helpful advice in getting out the bolt that hits the gas tank on the driver side rear tie rod. I moved the stock tie rod up and to the right while twisting the stock tie rod to the left with a pair of vice grips. once the bushing twists the bolt falls right out.
Blinded4freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #8
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
From what I have read and been told, you can put the bolt back in backwards. That way, if you ever have to remove them again, it will be easier.
I did it recently, I managed to get the bolt out, then refitted it backwards on that side, works fine!
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote