Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LsxDoctor View Post
You're thinking too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
There was also the premise that my wife's boob job would turn her into Jenna Jameson, but that didn't happen. At least not that I'm aware of, lol.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #16
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscamaro View Post
SVE (old SLP) makes a 2018 Camaro Yenko. 825hp and a 1000hp model.
It's a licensing agreement with Don's daughter, right?
Old 08-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #17
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
maybe "Yenko" has evolved from a noun to an adjective - i.e. That model Camaro is Yenko'd.

Maybe to the uneducated!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #18
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROZ11 View Post
I'll go with no on this one. Apples and oranges really. They were only called "Yenkos" because they were modified and sold at Yenko Chevrolet. There were other dealers that did similar upgrades like Berger, Karls, Fred Gibb, etc. A 5th gen SSs with an LS3 isn't a modified version of the car, and also not modified in limited numbers at a particular dealership. 5th gen SSs weren't exactly produced in limited numbers and aren't exactly rare.

PS: For those who don't know, there were also Yenko Chevelles, Vegas, and even Corvairs.
You forgot the NOVA which was probably the best. The 69 L72 (i.e. 427) NOVA was suggested as the fastest distributed car he produced. Supposedly to the point that he said something along the lines of he should have never built it since it was so "lethal". The thing ran like sub 11 second quarters.

I actually had the privilege of living near a "barn find" 1970 350 Yenko Deuce growing up but the guy would never sell it to me. He eventually unloaded it for what I am sure was a pretty penny. Needed some work but boy I would have loved to have it.

Anywhot I think the logic is a little off as presented by the OP. Corvette engines/drivetrains have been shared across platforms for decades now including the LT1/LT4/LS1/LS2/LS6/LS3. The "Yenko" philosophy was more using the COPO program to get high performance drivetrains that were not original order options. This would be like a dealer in 2014 ordering a basic 2SS Camaro with the LS7 engine from the Z/28 and Z06. If a car such as that exists I would be more than willing to kind of agree with the assimilation although still wouldn't be exactly the same in my mind.

I like the thought though. I could throw some cool "Yenko" stripes on my GTO lolz.
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #19
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96SS390 View Post
You forgot the NOVA which was probably the best. The 69 L72 (i.e. 427) NOVA was suggested as the fastest distributed car he produced. Supposedly to the point that he said something along the lines of he should have never built it since it was so "lethal". The thing ran like sub 11 second quarters.

I actually had the privilege of living near a "barn find" 1970 350 Yenko Deuce growing up but the guy would never sell it to me. He eventually unloaded it for what I am sure was a pretty penny. Needed some work but boy I would have loved to have it.

Anywhot I think the logic is a little off as presented by the OP. Corvette engines/drivetrains have been shared across platforms for decades now including the LT1/LT4/LS1/LS2/LS6/LS3. The "Yenko" philosophy was more using the COPO program to get high performance drivetrains that were not original order options. This would be like a dealer in 2014 ordering a basic 2SS Camaro with the LS7 engine from the Z/28 and Z06. If a car such as that exists I would be more than willing to kind of agree with the assimilation although still wouldn't be exactly the same in my mind.

I like the thought though. I could throw some cool "Yenko" stripes on my GTO lolz.
Yup, forgot to mention the Nova.. Another of the Yenko beasts.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #20
2nd SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM
[QUOTE=PDXSSCE;10283957]The premise of the Yenko Camaro was basically that the L78 engine was swapped out for the Corvette L72 engine. Therefore, allowing it to have the current Corvette model's engine.

Being that the 2010-13 Camaro shared the same LS3 engine found in the Corvette at the time, wouldn't they all be considered "Yenko"

Being that Don Yenko's daughter Lynn Yenko's signed my shock tower, wouldn't my Camaro now be considered a "Yenko" Camaro? LOL
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 PM   #21
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
We've jumped the shark.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #22
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
We've jumped the shark.
Nah, the shark was jumped with Do you Vape in your Camaro?

Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #23
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I'd say if a dealership had ordered through the old style COPO (not COPO Camaro but Central Office Production Order, which doesn't exist anymore) a 5th gen Camaro with a LS9 in it and added ZL1 suspension on it and the body panels were only V6 or at most SS body panels then they could badge it as a Yenko and live up to the status that Don Yenko had. That was basically what he did. He had to make his own super cars beginning with the Corvair Stingers (DRKS1D3, glad to see he brought it out again!) and then on to Chevelles, Camaros, and Novas. By '69 he was able to order what he wanted through COPO and add minor touches when they got to his dealership instead of full customization, but to say our cars are "Yenko" as an adjective is inaccurate, IMO.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #24
Venomcustom
Hard to want.

Drives: 2020 red hot 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Nah, the shark was jumped with Do you Vape in your Camaro?

Lmao!!! Yea, I couldn't even bring myself to comment on that one.
Venomcustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #25
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Absolutely not!

I actually saw a Yenko Stinger in May at a large car show. A very rare piece indeed. I had seen them on the internet plenty of times, but it was the first time seeing one in person. It will also probably be the last.

Last time I saw my Uncle he had 2 Corvair's 1 was Turbo charged from the factory . He was going to restore both of them . Sadly I have know idea if he ever finished them.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #26
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Last time I saw my Uncle he had 2 Corvair's 1 was Turbo charged from the factory . He was going to restore both of them . Sadly I have know idea if he ever finished them.
Those are the family members you're supposed to keep close.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #27
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue