Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2022, 11:12 PM   #1
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Catch can bracket

Have had a Mighty Mouse catch can since I bought the car. Never really liked how I had it mounted. Not a lot of info where to mount in these cars either. I had a piece of 1x1 angle aluminum that I drilled holes and grinded out to mount on the sump tank. I have been getting into CAD. Had this laser cut and bent for a sleeker, cleaner bracket. Going to paint or powder coat at a later time. But thought it turned out ok!
Attached Images

Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #2
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Nice. A little thin around the holes for my taste...but nice.

I have lived in the CAD and Fabrication world for 42 years now...

Did you use an online source source for the Laser and Forming?

I am taking my skill set to the next level. Bought a Faro Arm/Laser Scanner last week and this week I hope to boil down the best software solution for me??? Should be able to make anything with this.

The old Romer Arm
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2022, 01:46 PM   #3
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
I agree on the holes having not much on edge distance. Although, the cap bolts look like there capturing those areas well.
Old 03-27-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
Nice. A little thin around the holes for my taste...but nice.

I have lived in the CAD and Fabrication world for 42 years now...

Did you use an online source source for the Laser and Forming?

I am taking my skill set to the next level. Bought a Faro Arm/Laser Scanner last week and this week I hope to boil down the best software solution for me??? Should be able to make anything with this.

The old Romer Arm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
I agree on the holes having not much on edge distance. Although, the cap bolts look like there capturing those areas well.
Interesting. Didn’t really think of how thin the holes were going to be. Not that I was trying to get as thin as I could either. I will have to keep that in mind and maybe make a thicker one.
Yes, I used SendCutSend to cut and bend it for me. They are pretty good priced and customer service is super helpful and responsive. The only thing I don’t like is that when I don’t know my exact measurements, I have to spend a little on prototyping with them too. For example, the first bracket I had them make, I made the sump holes about .20” more apart and it didn’t work obviously. So I had to revise and wait for them to do it again. If you have any tips on getting more precise measurements the first time, I’m all ears, as I am still new at it.
Your machine looks awesome! Seems like you have made a career out of CAD. I got into it more from things like this, just making stuff nobody else does. Hobby stuff lol
Old 03-27-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
If you have any tips on getting more precise measurements the first time, I’m all ears, as I am still new at it.
Take your time measuring. Get a Caliper and be exact. It id better to aim at perfection and miss than to aim at imperfection and hit.

There is a different kind of CAD that may help you:

CARDBOARD AIDED DESIGN

Seriously draw you part out full size on heavy paper or cardboard and cut it out and see if it fits. Simple and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
Your machine looks awesome! Seems like you have made a career out of CAD. I got into it more from things like this, just making stuff nobody else does. Hobby stuff lol
Funny when people ask me why I do what I do for a living my answer is "I have so many home projects that require it".

MY brother and I own a Precision Sheet Metal Shop employing +/- 130 people today. We Turret Punch, Laser, Bend, Weld, Machine and some assembly.

Not only is it a Career it is my hobby too.

I design everything before building. Just starting to get into 3D printing too.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
Take your time measuring. Get a Caliper and be exact. It id better to aim at perfection and miss than to aim at imperfection and hit.

There is a different kind of CAD that may help you:

CARDBOARD AIDED DESIGN

Seriously draw you part out full size on heavy paper or cardboard and cut it out and see if it fits. Simple and easy.

Funny when people ask me why I do what I do for a living my answer is "I have so many home projects that require it".

MY brother and I own a Precision Sheet Metal Shop employing +/- 130 people today. We Turret Punch, Laser, Bend, Weld, Machine and some assembly.

Not only is it a Career it is my hobby too.

I design everything before building. Just starting to get into 3D printing too.
Alright, thank you for the tip. I have a caliper to measure, but for this specific part, it was hard to get it in there will all the hoses and stuff. So I think I do need to slow down and be more patient with it. And one of the last things I made, I did do a cardboard cutout as I saw someone online doing that, but was off a bit still when the real deal showed up. Again though, after thinking about it, I believe I rushed it to finish and didn’t take my time. So I will have to definitely start doing that more.

Sounds like a great business. Also sounds like a lot of fun to work in too. Places like that always have work to be done too. Probably hardly slows down
Old 03-28-2022, 07:50 PM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Can you take pics of how the dry sump tank mounts into the car?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #8
Coz3z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Can you take pics of how the dry sump tank mounts into the car?
Heres the bracket that goes to top of radiator. And I believe it mounts to a crossmember underneath. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Yes it does thank you!!!
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote