Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
10 Camaros that should be built

Original article here: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...right-now.html

Forget about bankruptcy. GM's big problem is the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. The fools in the Center of Renaissance aren't building enough of them. They need to be cranking out more badass versions of their new red-hot hot rod; like right now. You know, before Obama and the Green Brigade take it away from us.

The Camaro needs saving. Here are my brilliant ideas how to save it.

The T-Top Camaro
From 1978 through 2002, Chevy offered the Camaro with translucent T-tops. That's 25 model years! T-tops are as much a part of Camaro heritage as high school parking lot burnouts, and it's inexcusable that the Camaro has returned without them.

GM should avoid the temptation to innovate, however. No power operation. No light-sensitive special tinting glass. Just order up some glass panels from whomever still builds them, break out the Sawz-Alls, and start installing.

The Diesel Camaro
Imagine this: Camaro Duramax SS. I dream of planting my Florsheim into the accelerator pedal of a Camaro packing a turbocharged, 6.6-liter V8 thumping out a massive 660 pound-feet of torque.

Sure the Duramax turbodiesel V8 spins to only 3,450 rpm, but by that time it could mulch a BMW 335d. And fueled with fry oil, the Camaro Duramax SS would be politically correct enough to serve as an Earth Day parade car for Ed Begley, Jr. Plus, think of the CAFE advantages.

Most of the engineering here is already done. All it takes is a leap of imagination, some faith in audacity, and a fortified version of the T56 six-speed manual transmission.

The Camaro Hybrid
A good chunk of the public is mesmerized by the word "hybrid." So give them what they want. I suggest the company just port the "Two-Mode" hybrid system over from the Tahoe Hybrid to the Camaro. Sure it wouldn't be much of a hybrid, but it would be hybrid enough to goose sales, plus Obama would love it.

Increasing sales over time would be easy. Just glue on more "Hybrid" stickers. They've proven to increase sales and decrease a vehicle's carbon footprint all by themselves, so why not take advantage of the new adhesives technologies out there.

The Camaro Sedan
Pontiac is dead and it takes the wonderful G8 sedan with it. But all it needs is a new grille, a fresh set of taillights and some fresh badges to become the first Camaro Sedan. As to those of you purists who would decry the Camaro morphing into a four-door, in this market no one can afford to be a purist. So get over it.

There's a BMW M3 sedan, a Dodge Charger sedan and there's about to be a Porsche sedan. The time for the family-friendly Camaro has come.

The Camaro Wagon
Speaking of family-friendly, it seems Australia's Holden builds a wagon version of the G8 (er, Commodore) called, cleverly, the Sportwagon. So slap the Camaro nose on that and get it into showrooms!

Fact is, BMW has had an M5 wagon in Europe for years, and Benz will sell you an E63 wagon right here in the USA. Well, how about a power man's version. Make mine a silver SS with V8 power and a six-speed manual.

The Camaro Camino
Hey, I've already turned the Camaro into a sedan and wagon, so why not a truck, too?

When Pontiac was Pontiac...way back in 2008...the 2010 G8 ST sport truck seemed inevitable. OK, that didn't work out. So it's simple: All GM does is take the nose it will use on the Camaro sedan and apply it to some Holden utes. And combining the Camaro and El Camino into one vehicle would be the ultimate expression of redneck culture.

The Camaro Grand National
It's not like Buick is doing anything with its glorious Grand National heritage. So GM should let Chevy use it.

The base Camaro's 3.6-liter DOHC 24-valve V6 is rated at a stout 304 horsepower -- more than most V8 Camaros had when they left the factory. Imagine then, how good this V6 would be with a couple of turbos packing the atmosphere in as quickly as possible.

I'm thinking something like 500 hp with a nasty turbo whine to go with it. Plus it would get decent fuel mileage when the car was driven lightly, which should keep the Greenies off its back.

The Camaro IROC 1LE
For those of us who grew up in the '80s, the greatest Camaro was the IROC. And the greatest IROC was the ready-to-race 1LE.

Transforming the 2010 Camaro into an IROC means a new hood with oversize NACA ducts, a ducktail rear spoiler and a set of gorgeous five-spoke wheels. Then, just like Chevy did in 1989, when the new IROC is ordered without air-conditioning and with a performance axle ratio, it should automatically become a 1LE, ready to go showroom-stock racing. That means carbon-ceramic Brembo brakes swiped from the Corvette ZR1; an engine oil cooler; stiffer shocks, stiffer springs and thicker bars; a lightweight carbon driveshaft; and a baffled fuel tank to keep the race gas from sloshing away from the pickup during hard cornering.

Topping it off should be a few mods: powertrain, chassis and suspension from the aftermarket like Ford did with the Cobra R Mustang a few years back. Then to push the IROC further, they ought to bring back the International Race of Champions and use production IROC 1LEs as the racecars.

The Camaro Z28
Everyone expects and wants a Camaro running the Corvette Z06's 505-hp 7.0-liter LS7 V8. So let's call it the Z28. Duh.

The Camaro ZL1
Just as obvious is a Camaro with the Corvette ZR1's supercharged 638-hp LS9. It would be even better than a mere Z28. So call it the ZL1.

Then, of course, there's mixing and matching, like a Camaro wagon hybrid or a diesel-powered Camaro sedan. So which one would you buy? I'm driving home in a Camaro ZL1 Wagon. You're welcome
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I see a Camaro Hybrid and a twin turbo V6 in the future. Everything else other than the Z/28 seems far fetched.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
i can't tell if they're serious or not...
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
I never seen so much fail in my life
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I4 will probably resurface...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5thgen View Post
I see a Camaro Hybrid and a twin turbo V6 in the future. Everything else other than the Z/28 seems far fetched.
Or a turbo 4.
Its a new generation that GM has to answer to now, if it doesn't somehow have "Green" attached to it, its not gonna make it past the "new Government Motors" management.

Mine at sunset
KJS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Red Hot SS

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS/RS M6
If a joke: Funny

If serious: What an idiot

VIN: 2G1FT1EW8A9118043
Finally Home! (6/16)
Red Hot SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
BlackCamaroSS
Old school SS, junior

Drives: Many; all Chevrolet
Can you guys REALLY not tell if that was serious or not, or are YOU the ones who are joking? Did you actually read it?

Quote:
Increasing sales over time would be easy. Just glue on more "Hybrid" stickers. They've proven to increase sales and decrease a vehicle's carbon footprint all by themselves, so why not take advantage of the new adhesives technologies out there.
^One of the funniest things I've read in all of my months lurking on this site...

Oh, and lastly: Will this great new retro Camaro be instrumental in bringing back into fashion the Camaro Mullet?
BlackCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Injunman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Entertaining write up!
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Angelina

Drives: 2010 Camaro!
LOL! Chalk me up for a Duramax Camaro Sedan....wth I have 4 kids! Ha!

Drives: 2SS RS, IOM, Auto, Sunroof

Delivered: 5/15/09
Angelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I don't think the diesel is a bad idea..torque from God and great fuel economy. I doubt there is room for the batteries of a hybrid in this platform.

The wagon, ST, and Sedan iterations that this person speaks of should be grounds for death by Toyota boredom - handcuff the author to the steering wheel of a Corolla and superglue The Starland Vocal Band in the player, hit repeat, crank the volume and lock the doors on 'em. Dying to "Afternoon Delite" may be too good for this creep.
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #12
Sinergy

Drives: em crazy.
I want my 4 X 4 Camaro!!
Sinergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Old 06-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Don't forget the flux capacitor powered Camaro time machine!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote