Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
What maintenance is required and what is just optional?

Hey everyone,

I am sitting here in the maintenance lobby at my Chevy dealer while my 2012 2ls Camaro is having her oil changed and air filter replaced. While I was being rung up, the service manager told me I was due for an injector cleaning and brake liquid flush, together totaling over $300+. Now I asked was this required to keep my warranty and he said no, just said you should get them done. Now I told him I will "next time" but I was wonder, what maintenance is actually required to keep power train and bumper to bumper warranty and what maintenance isn't? I always thought the only required maintenance was oil, transmission, filter and coolant (at the required times of course). Am I right or wrong? I don't want to be pushed to change stuff I don't need to...

Thanks for any input you have...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
The other stuff is just dealer fluff.....money maker. Follow what the owners manual says and you cant go wrong.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
The other stuff is just dealer fluff.....money maker. Follow what the owners manual says and you cant go wrong.
Thanks!!! Your insight helped keep some money in my pocket :p
Old 11-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I think the owners manual has what is called Required Maintenance and then they have Reccomended Service. Your dealer will try to tell you the recommended service is needed. But like was said before that is how they make their money.
When I used to take my car to a different dealer years ago they always found I needed more maintenance that they said was required. One even wanted to change my transmission fluid at 20,000 miles. The owners manual said that was just for severe use like trailer towing otherwise it was 50,000 miles.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Way Too Fast Motorsports

Drives: 349 Stroker E85 Powered Miata
a lot of that is Upselling you. Brake fluid should be inspected at 30k and flushed at 60k or sooner if you track the car and heat that up a lot or it is visibly dirty. As far as injector cleaning that sounds like they are gonna charge you $100 bucks or more to dump some seafoam in your tank.
Way Too Fast Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote