Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #15
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
So let me get this straight, you're cancelling because they wanted to give it to you cheaper? I'm so confused.
That's what I was thinking as well? Perhaps it's a promotion that wasn't available back you first got the service?

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #16
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Oh also, OnStar uses Verizon, but it's going to be changing.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by I4toV8 View Post
Having onstar lowered my insurance rate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
How much does it lower your insurance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I don't recall the numbers now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
That's kinda important if you're mentioning it as a benefit. $5 off is much different than say $50...
I asked my insurance agent about how much it would lower my rate. I only have it available on the Camaro and it would lower my rate by $28/year.

No thanks. I'm not going to intentionally pay someone to spy on me and rat me out to my insurance company if I decide to get rambunctious.

Somehow I have survived 45 years of driving for untold number of miles, in just about every road condition you could imagine... No OnStar for me, thank you.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
Cam_Cam

OnStar does not communicate with your insurance company, unless of course by rambunctious you mean drunk driving your car into a school full of children. Then they might.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #19
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Then they might.
Keyword: might. And likely only if you cancel your subscription.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #20
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Somehow I have survived 45 years of driving for untold number of miles, in just about every road condition you could imagine... No OnStar for me, thank you.
I'm with you 100% there. It seems like a gimmick for the most part. False sense of security even.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Quote:
So let me get this straight, you're cancelling because they wanted to give it to you cheaper? I'm so confused.
Yes, because I'm tired of bending over. On my statement to renew it stated $249.00 for the Security Plan and they gave me a $189.00 price (which was less then what my plan was of $199.90) since I called and made the effort. REALLY!!!! If they had my credit card number they would have just charged my card for the $249.00. Just give me the fair price from the get go!!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #22
Cam_Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
Yes, because I'm tired of bending over. On my statement to renew it stated $249.00 for the Security Plan and they gave me a $189.00 price (which was less then what my plan was of $199.90) since I called and made the effort. REALLY!!!! If they had my credit card number they would have just charged my card for the $249.00. Just give me the fair price from the get go!!!!
So you're mad that OnStar is doing basically what every other company ever does? Do cell phone companies automatically give you cheaper prices on renewal without you calling? XM? Cable companies?

This is pretty much how all subscription based companies work. None of them are just going to be nice to you because they feel like it.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #23
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
That's what I was thinking as well? Perhaps it's a promotion that wasn't available back you first got the service?
Seriously, have had the service since 2010. Did my own research to find that you could get a better price if you made the effort.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #24
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Quote:
So you're mad that OnStar is doing basically what every other company ever does? Do cell phone companies automatically give you cheaper prices on renewal without you calling? XM? Cable companies?

This is pretty much how all subscription based companies work. None of them are just going to be nice to you because they feel like it.
I'm frustrated.... and I do the same thing the XM!!! Just give them your credit card number and you won't have to deal with any of it.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #25
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I asked my insurance agent about how much it would lower my rate. I only have it available on the Camaro and it would lower my rate by $28/year.

No thanks. I'm not going to intentionally pay someone to spy on me and rat me out to my insurance company if I decide to get rambunctious.

Well said, thank you very much!
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #26
Cam_Cam

I mean, it's just a weird line of thinking. If you give your credit card to a subscription based serviced, you're almost always signing to indefinitely pay what you're agreeing to at that time unless you call and change it.

So I'm still confused why you're made at OnStar, especially since you would have agreed to a price when you gave them a credit card. I plug calendar entries in my phone to call XM, AT&T Uverse, AT&T Wireless, OnStar etc when my contracts end so I know to call and get a better rate.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #27
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
Have had onstar since receiving the car in March of 2010. Learned on “Camaro5” that you could negotiate the annual price, which I have since owning the car (pay by check). Called today……… price on their statement sent to me $199.00 for “Safe and Sound”. Last year paid $169.00 and was transferred to Customer Service. Was told that for a preferred customer the “Safe and Sound” is $149.00????? And, I could upgrade to the “Security Plan” for $189.00. My statement showed $249.00 a year for the “Security Plan”.

Bye OnStar!! Hope I don’t end up in a ditch somewhere??
I've been a 2-car OnStar subscriber for 8 years. I NEVER pay attention to the "proposed" rates they send me via snail-mail when it's close to renewal time. I ALWAYS call them and make the deal right then and there over the phone - usually on my last day of service. I have NEVER paid full price for any "Safe and Sound" multi-vehicle 1 year OnStar subcription.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #28
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I'm not sure if onstar lowered my insurance rate, but I do pay $562 for 6 months and I'm 25 years old with 3 total loss accidents and one arrest for reckless driving and 1 speeding ticket on my record. The total losses weren't my fault, unless you can say it's my fault the deer jumped into my lane at night.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote