Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
The ultimate Good Guy

Drives: 00 handa civic
just another new guy looking for answers...

hello everyone,

here we go.. 26 year old from the smallest state in the usa. had 2 cars in his life time an old 86 lincoln (first car) now i own a 00 handa civic since 02. been planning on my new car for a loong time. but i flipped flopped forever between this car or that car. not any more... from under the shadows I have read so much on what you. the keepers of knowledge about the Camaro what you like, what you dont like. i do not know a hell of alot when it comes to a car in general i mean other than checking the oil and pumping gas. and after popping on this site about 4 or 5 months ago and i have learn a lot more then i ever dreamed of. good job! you guys know your stuff.. but enough about that..

my plan is to get the 2ss/rs black on black auto with tap shift that is looking around atleast $35,000. I am not Vin Diesel nor do i drive like him. what im to say is i am not a bad-ass when it comes to driving nor do i wish to challenge anyone when i am at a red light. i just want a car that is right for me and the 2ss/rs is calling my name. maybe your saying i should get the LS if im not a rebel on the road but i want leather seats and i just feel comfortable knowing i have an SS.( with great power comes great responsibility)

then i get to looking at the camaro builder online and then i scratch my head about the opitions and accessories

grill insert
hurst short throw shifter
shorty headers
catback exaust
performance air intake
ummm yea... what does that all mean. do i want them, do i need them??

also (sorry im throwing so much at once) can i order now or is it too late and how should i talk to the dealer. im going to look like a moron! i just know it. i dont want him to give me the run around plus i dont wanna irritate the poor guy with my lack of knowledge.

and any idea what the insurance will be?? 2 tickets since i got my licence back in 01 no car accidents. not too too bad no?

I thank you all if you got this far into the post sorry for rambling on. but like i said i lack knowledge. you guys are the best even if you decide not to respond.

stay cool,

e.
The Ultimate Good Guy
The ultimate Good Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2016 2SS (A8)
Good Guy,
Order a 2LT (V6), you'll have plenty of power for what you need, and you will still get the leather seats. The V6 will be a considerable upgrade from your Civic, and you can still add further upgrades later if you decide to. Plus, if you order the V6, you will more than likely get it much sooner than the SS. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but unless you're ready to drop some serious cash on the SS and deal with the higher insurance rates, I think the V6 is a smarter move in your case (JMO). It sounds like you've already done some research on this forum, so keep searching, and you can find all the info you need to go order your Camaro without looking like a dumba$$. Besides, from all the stories we've heard, the dealers probably don't know anymore than you do!! Just don't buy anything for over MSRP. Good Luck, and welcome!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #3
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
U go n there and I would say this to him" gimme this black 2ss or ima kick ur butts"
Haha
Welcome to the site buddy.

U don't need the hurst throw shifter that's only if u get stick

The headers and exhaust =better air flow better sound more power

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ultimate Good Guy View Post
grill insert
hurst short throw shifter
shorty headers
catback exaust
performance air intake

First off Welcome .

Glad to have you aboard, and nice to see you've been turned onto the 5th gen.

Grill insert: A billet-like grill that just changes the look of the grill. Not a performance upgrade.
Hurst Shifter: Shortens the length of the lever controlling a manual transmission so to get from first to second gear, you move a shorter distance. This is a performance upgrade only for a manual, you'll have tapshift.

Shorty Headers: This is a performance upgrade for all cars. It's the legal way to get more power out of your engine. Long tube headers have bigger gains, but move the place of the catalytic converter, so they're illegal in some/most/all states. The shorty is designed by gm performance so you'll get a little performance gain without voiding your warranty.

Catback Exhaust: Exhaust is another way to increase hp from your engine. It also changes the exhaust note. Sometimes people like stock more, oftentimes, they replace them. You'll get a decent increase in power with this, but it might change the tone.

Air Intake: This rounds out the bolt on performance upgrades that GMPP offers. With a better air intake and exhaust, you can move more air through your engine, increasing horsepower.

If you need more performance from your car and don't want to buy aftermarket and void your warranty, I would highly suggest intake and exhaust, and I don't know enough about the shorty headers to make a recommendation. If you plan on doing aftermarket performance upgrades, you might want to save money for those instead and just stick with the 2ss/rs.

I think it's going to be more than enough for what you're looking for stock though. I'm moving up from a 4banger also and I don't plan on modding until warranty is off anyways. There's just my opinion and hopefully helpful explanation.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
You don't need any of that stuff in my honest opinion. Get the 300 HP V6 and load it down with the options you do understand. Maybe drive one first before you buy. If you decide to go with the SS the rest still applies.

grill insert - Stock grill is fine so why change it?
hurst short throw shifter - only for manual tranny.
shorty headers - LOTS of money for some unknown amount of improvement. Not needed unless you want every last HP.
catback exaust - Good for making more noise. See "Shorty Headers" response.
performance air intake - 300 HP V6 not enough? See "Shorty Headers" response.

You pays your money, you takes your pick.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingr69 View Post
grill insert - Stock grill is fine so why change it?
You're right, the stock grill is 'fine'. But...

'Cause the 'Heritage Grille' looks even better. IMO anyway.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #7
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Good Guy,
Order a 2LT (V6), you'll have plenty of power for what you need, and you will still get the leather seats. The V6 will be a considerable upgrade from your Civic, and you can still add further upgrades later if you decide to. Plus, if you order the V6, you will more than likely get it much sooner than the SS. I don't know what your financial situation is like, but unless you're ready to drop some serious cash on the SS and deal with the higher insurance rates, I think the V6 is a smarter move in your case (JMO). It sounds like you've already done some research on this forum, so keep searching, and you can find all the info you need to go order your Camaro without looking like a dumba$$. Besides, from all the stories we've heard, the dealers probably don't know anymore than you do!! Just don't buy anything for over MSRP. Good Luck, and welcome!
This is pretty much what I was going to say as well. Even the 304 HP that Direct 6 has could give you all the giddy-up you might be looking for! And a loaded 2LT is going to cost you less than the 1SS, not to mention the 2SS.

One word of advice...these 2010 Camaros are going to make you WANT TO RUN. You may not start out thinking you'll be bad assin' it, but you will...because the CAR WANTS TO!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
WAY2FAST

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS Red M6
Welcome!-New guy!
WAY2FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
RT21
Sage of Thread Killing

Drives: IBM Tumbler
I agree with going with the 2LT. That's what I'm getting and I'm the same. I'm not going to race clowns on A1A. The lanes are too narrow as it is. Anyway, like they said, for the 2SS/RS money, you can get an awesome 2LT/RS with as many toys as you like to go with it.

Last edited by RT21; 01-14-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: forgot the RS...
RT21 is offline   Reply With Quote