Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #29
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
The front speakers are cake compared to the rear. I did the fronts about 3 weeks ago but just got around the the rear today. -__- <--- the face you will have throughout the entire process. The interior "engineer" who designer who came up with the bright idea to put every panel from the front seatbelt to the rear deck on top of the speakers wasn't the star pupil in school.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #30
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
How long did it take you for the first door? I just did my right door this morning in about 4 hours. That included Dynamat inside the door, then a 3/8" foam pad inside the door including double thickness behind the speaker. Then I sealed the door behind where the trim panel goes with Dynamat and 1/8" Dynapad in place of the factory mat that was on the door. Then installed the driver and tweeter as well as the crossover.

I fastened the crossover to the door with screws near the bottom of the door on the side facing the inside of the car. At the price of Focal K2 Power 165KRX2 speakers, I didn't want to take a chance of it getting wet inside the door. There was water inside the door when I pulled the trim off, there was a stong downpour on my way home from work this morning.

Now it's time for bed and a couple hours of sleep before doing another 12 hour shift. Hope I have enough energy to do the other door tomorrow morning.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #31
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Wait, wtf. I have an install scheduled for Monday. Double din, scosche kit, 6.5 coax for the door and 6x9 coax for the rear.... So i need a new housing for the 6.5s? Or is that something an audio shop can figure out. Id hate to bring all my crap in only to find out they cant put those speakers in. What about the rears? do they just sit in the rear deck or do those need a new housing as well?
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #32
Jokerr713

Drives: 2010 LS Barebones 6MT Camaro
question, the stock bracket has 1 screw, as you said, the ******** bracket has three holes from the picture, and when installed i see more than 1 screw holding the ******** bracket in. are there holes in the door frame already to use the other screws?
Jokerr713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #33
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I'm having a problem getting the cover underneath the door handle to come off. Is there a trick to getting it out?

It's the piece in the second picture on the first post.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #34
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
These are the model speakers and head unit I used.

Kicker 07DS6502 DS-Series 6.5-Inch Component System with 20mm Tweeter

Kicker 07DS6930 DS-Series 6-Inch x 9-Inch 152mm X 229mm 3-Way Speaker

Pioneer AVH-P3300BT

The crossovers come with the speakers. When you're using component speakers, a crossover is needed to filter the lower end signal out as the tweeters are just for higher audio spectrum signals. Subs are for very low spectrum signals and generally there's a separate crossover to pass only the low end signal to the sub. High-pass filter for tweets. Low-pass filter for subs. Everything else can go to your front and rear speakers.

If you're going to replace anything, replace the head unit. It will make the stock speakers sound halfway decent. The stock speakers aren't rated very highly as far as power and that's why I swapped them out for the Kickers. I like to crank my music up, roll the windows down, and jam out as I'm cruising.

Question, Could you plastic dip the adapters to kill the moisture problem?
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #35
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I'm having a problem getting the cover underneath the door handle to come off. Is there a trick to getting it out?

It's the piece in the second picture on the first post.
I use a 90° scribe. http://www.amazon.com/SE-pc-Scribe-P...cribe+pick+set

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #36
caverman

Thanks.....I finally got it. Had to use a scribe like you showed.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
caverman

I figured I would add to this thread to give a couple more shots and maybe it will help someone else down the road.

I bought a set of Kicker speakers from Crutchfield. I could've bought them about $40 cheaper somewhere else but they included the speaker adapters, a wiring plug for the OEM harness, decent install instructions with pictures, and phone support if I needed. If I would've had to buy ********s adapters it would've cost me the same going with the cheaper speaker vendor. Then add on the fact that the adapters are plasitic and don't need to be sealed this is definately the way to go.

In the pics you can see the stock speaker vs a speaker in new adapter, plus just the adapter. I cut the wiring plug that Crutchfield included, wired, sodered, and heat shrinked it to the crossover. I also cut the grommet in the door in order to run the wires for the tweaters. I placed the crossover up as high as I could but still with the ablility to reach in and change the settings if needed.

Once I figured out how to get the cover under the door handle off the rest was super easy.
Attached Images

Build Journal
Old 09-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #38
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I would not have put my crossover on the outside of the moisture barrier. Now jt will be exposed to the elements.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #39
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Sorry to necro this thread, but the information is still useful enough to warrant being seen again, and I have a question about it.

Does anyone have clear pictures on placement for a crossover inside the moister barrier so as to avoid the issues people were talking about in this useful thread?
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #40
fredbo

Drives: black 2010 LS
u gotta take the whole door panel off to access the tweeters? i got 2 bose tweeters iwanna replace the factory ones
fredbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
ZeuSS2011

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS / Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbo View Post
u gotta take the whole door panel off to access the tweeters? i got 2 bose tweeters iwanna replace the factory ones
The tweeter pods pop right off. No need to remove the door panel.
ZeuSS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #42
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Olde but Goode .... Saved me a serious headache
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote