Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #29
kobSS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Looking forward to your insight on the product. I've checked out quite a few of the AMMO Products, but dont know anyone that actually uses them yet.

You've done well at keeping any bias out of your reviews/feedback. Appreciate it!
Pfadt'ed Out Level 4, Pfadt Featherlight Coilovers, Pfadt ZL1 Sways, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, CTS-V Brakes, Borla S-Type, Quad Tips, Forgestar 22" F14's (Show), CAI Intake w/ scoop, Rx Catch-Can, AAC Lighting, Showstopper Sidemarkers

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age"

Build Thread
kobSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #30
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
No sorry. I'm in the middle of phase 1 of a two phase move across the country. Bare with me, I'll get to it ASAP.

Should be able to at least review the shampoo pretty soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Where are you moving to? Need a tutor on polishing near Chicago.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #31
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Where are you moving to? Need a tutor on polishing near Chicago.
Back to Michigan, so not all that far.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #32
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
You're going the wrong direction CD07 . . . head West!
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #33
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
You're going the wrong direction CD07 . . . head West!
Believe me, Michigan isn't my first choice. I already served 17 years in that arctic armpit. Necessity wins this one though :/

Old 03-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
It's not so bad up here. (Says the guy with a foot of snow on his front lawn). At least we have four seasons: fall, winter, spring and construction.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
charlietuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Back to Michigan, so not all that far.

PM me when you get settled we can set it up. Safe journey my friend.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #36
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Charlie, If Matt is not able, let me know, I'm just up the road from you. PM your goals and maybe in spring we can have detail day!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #37
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I love how helpful members on this forum are!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #38
charlietuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Charlie, If Matt is not able, let me know, I'm just up the road from you. PM your goals and maybe in spring we can have detail day!
I see a midwest detail clinic in the near future
Old 03-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #39
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
I see a midwest detail clinic in the near future
Yeah we should definitely have a get together somewhere up there. I'll be there after mid May.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #40
CamaroDreams07

Alright, so let's get down to some business here. I had the chance to sneak out and wash my car today so I figured it'd be a great time to try the AMMO Foam Paint Cleanser. I'll try to structure this similarly to my other car soap reviews. Here goes:

Value: 4/5 This is quite expensive per ounce. $18 gets you 16 oz of cleanser. That being said, this stuff goes a long way. The instructions say to use "3 blubs" (no idea how much a blub is) but here's what I used for my first try with it:

Name:  IMG_20130301_135400.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  120.8 KB

I could have easily used half that. It's very concentrated. I would assume you could get probably 16 washes or so out of one bottle (1oz per wash), maybe more. So it's not too bad when you think about it. I use probably 2 oz of Optimum usually for a wash, so that's about $0.75 a wash, whereas Ammo will probably be more like $1.10.

Suds: 5/5 This stuff suds like no tomorrow. Easily on par with my favorites, Optimum and Adam's. What sets AMMO above those is that the suds stay for the entire wash. You know how a lot of times you'll get halfway around the car and your wash bucket starts to look a little "flat?" Never happens with this stuff. Very, very nice.

Name:  IMG_20130301_135724.jpg
Views: 2810
Size:  104.5 KB

Foam: ?/5 Haven't gotten the chance to use this in the foam gun yet, but I would expect it to be pretty solid given the amount of suds that were created in the bucket. I would expect the foam to not cling as well as some others though, because the suds had a tendency to dissipate quickly on the paint.

Lubricity: 5/5 No concerns whatsoever as I dragged my merino wool mitt across the paint. Never caught or stuck, just very smooth and slick.

Rinse: 5/5 As I said before, when the soap sits on the paint for a while (while I was washing the wheels), it kind of looks like it's dissolving into clear water before your eyes. A very light rinse was all that was needed. This is definitely something that sets AMMO above the competition. I was pretty amazed.

Wax Preservation: 5/5 Noticed absolutely no decrease in water beading after rinse.

Verdict: 6/5 Ok here's where a lot of you guys might tell me I'm off my rocker. I'd like to think that by now I'm pretty immune to placebo effect. Heck, you guys have seen me throw brand new products in the garbage because I didn't like them. This stuff is kind of ridiculously good. I mean, not in the same league as other soaps good. Like if Adam's and Optimum had a baby, then made it train every day and fed it car shampoo steroids, it would grow up to be this stuff. The way it makes the paint feel as you're washing it's like you're rubbing lotion on it. The water and the paint just feel "softer," if that makes any sense at all. Another crazy thing is that I've never had such an easy time drying my car as I did after using this soap. I haven't applied a new coat of any LSP in months and the water just fell off the paint- and it's cold out today when towels usually don't work so well. There's got to be something in there that I'm not smart enough to explain. This stuff just behaves differently than anything I've ever used. Even when you're washing and you clean the windows, the soap and water just recoil off of the glass. It's so bizarre.

I don't know, maybe I'm drinking the Kool-Aid here. If anything changes or my position on this stuff tempers after a few more washes, I'll absolutely come in here and admit I was smoking crack today. But honestly, at this point I'm pretty sold on it unless my paint turns to dust and falls off the car tomorrow. I've got nothing to gain from this, I spent my own money on the product and I've always given honest reviews in the past, this one is just on Speedy Prep Towel level of improvement in my eyes.

The only thing is that it is expensive. I would like to see if Larry might start carrying this in gallon sizes to keep the unit cost down. Even so, it's really not much more on a per-use basis than my current go-to soap. Now, I just have to get rid of this gallon of Optimum I just ordered
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #41
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
yesssssssss
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #42
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
yesssssssss