Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
RSPARKS5
Ordered from scotty

Drives: 82 malibu wagon/ 08 hhr panel
NEW GUY HERE// CLAY BAR TREATMENT

Can you use clay bar treatment as much as you like or is it only for the first time you wax your car for the season? does it hurt the paint to use it more often?
RSPARKS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
The clay bar is primarily used to remove the stuck on dirt, grime, and tough particles that are missed w/ normal washing. The clay bar can be used regularly if you wish, but for most folks who just do a quick wash and don't really care, would never even know what the clay bar is. From my personal history w/ detailing, most people (including me) who use the clay bar do it once every six months. You can do it every 4 months (three times a year) to really keep it looking nice.

Use it as much as you want. However, remember that when you do, you've already stripped off the wax before you used the clay bar......meaning you now have to put on another layer of wax....meaning a lot of work buffing and all.

To my knowledge, you won't hurt the paint at all using the clay bar. After all, you have a layer of clear coat over the paint for protection. The best protection you can have for that is a nice layer of wax.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
RSPARKS5
Ordered from scotty

Drives: 82 malibu wagon/ 08 hhr panel
Thanks i appreciate it tag i was not sure if you could use it that much. my wifes toyota highlander collects tons of tar/gunk on the bottom of her car after the bad winter we had here. i like to use a clay bar to remove gunk and get down to original finish. then put some meguiars on it ....
RSPARKS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Power Junkie
GM give me my fix please!

Drives: 95 Toyota GT4
Location: England.. aka the EU's whipping boy!!! (but not for much longer, hopefully)
I can't believe how long i went without using a clay bar... i give my car a go over every 3-4 months and it looks sweet!!
Power Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPARKS5 View Post
Thanks i appreciate it tag i was not sure if you could use it that much. my wifes toyota highlander collects tons of tar/gunk on the bottom of her car after the bad winter we had here. i like to use a clay bar to remove gunk and get down to original finish. then put some meguiars on it ....
You bet. I do it every 6 months or so...more frequent if I have the time.

You can do it as much as you want. It's jut a lot of work and you have to put that wax back on. You ever try the bug and tar removal? I've got some...used it once, and went to the clay bar. No reason...just did.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote