Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Rear Ended

So, last summer I was rear ended...twice. Each within a few weeks of each other.
I knew I would be painting the car due to some previous scrathes, dings and of course a million stone chips on the nose. I decided to wait until winter was done to start working on it. I figured all it needed was a bumper cover, and I would be good to go.

I pulled the inferno stripes to get ready for wet sanding. I thin I may go a different route after paint, possibly no stripes at all.

Here is the light damage for the two accidents, and a door ding for good measure. Also, the trunk is popped, so ignore the gap.

Here's where things went to ****. I pulled the bumper cover, and found this. The area behind the plate was pushed in 4 inches. The area on the drivers quarter was pushed in 2 inches, with a broken support bracket. That's why the bumper pulled away on that corner.

I already have the metal beaten beaten back in to shape, but will need to weld up some holes where my stud welder burned through the very thin metal. I'll get more pics as I progress.
Luckily, I found a body shop a few blocks from me that has been empty for a year. The owner will let me use the booth for $200.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Didn't you get paid (maybe twice) for the rear end damages from the insurance
companies? Why not just let a body shop handle it? Now that the rear facia is
off they can pay you for the additional inner unibody damage. What's going on?
I could tell immediately from the first photo that there was some internal damage.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Kid

The rear panel damage is from the initial hit. The corner is from the second. I can't go back to the first company with additional external damage, and try to get paid for internal damge that could have been caused by the second hit.

I got paid very well for the two accidents. I'm a trained bodyman, so not an issue. I was just surprised at how far the back was caved in. It's already pulled, and ready for primer. I'm doing the full paint job myself, because I don't trust anyome working on my car. Even the best shops cut corners.

Last edited by Kid; 05-04-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Kid

Collision damage is all squared away.

Filled in the old spoiler holes, because it won't be going back on.

Waiting for the new bracket to test fit the bumper on the damaged side. Got everything in primer before the rain tomorrow.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
IkoIko
IkoIko

Drives: '12 2SS 6MT Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to IkoIko
Good that you are a body tech and you weren't injured.
IkoIko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
IkoIko
IkoIko

Btw thanks for posting your progress, i was curious about the repair process.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkoIko View Post
Good that you are a body tech and you weren't injured.
I probably should have gotten checked out from the first hit, after I fought with the cop about what year it was...

Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #8
IkoIko
IkoIko

How can he argue with you about the year of your car when you own the car? SMH.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #9
Kid

Quote:
How can he argue with you about the year of your car when you own the car? SMH.
No, I literally thought it was 2015...

Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
IkoIko
IkoIko

Oh I see, hey in all the confusion it was a moment in time. Anyway I like your work.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #11
Kid

Quote:
Anyway I like your work.
Thanks. I've been out of the trade for some time, now. It feels good to get some dust flying again. After this car is done, I'll be jumping onto my '68 RS.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
OP: Thanks for explaining why your doing your own work and that you did get
paid for the damages. So many guys try to save money and do their own
repairs after getting paid, but have no idea what their doing. I'm sure you do.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #13
Kid

Yup, I've seen it a million times with classic cars. "I'll do it myself. Old cars are easy to work on." That's how I get good prices on parts for my '68. Buy them off an overly confident diy'er.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #14
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Being a body man you should know how easily these modern cars fold. I worked on a new Jeep Cherokee a few months ago that someone had bumped into a wall when pulling into a parking garage. It warped the bumper but didn't mess up any paint, exterior damage massaged out completely with some heat. Took the bumper off to replace a fog light bezel that had been cracked and found that the absorber had broke in two...

That's what happens when everything gets made out of aluminum and plastic, look at it the wrong way and it breaks

LS3 Conversion | Comp Cam Custom Grind | Mast Heads | Comp Cam Push Rods | LS7 Timing Chain | 180 Thermostat | Ported Intake | Ported TB | SLP UDP | K & N CAI | Custom 3800 Stall Converter | Aluminum 1 Piece Driveshaft | Kooks 1 7/8" LTH | High Flow Cats | ARH 3" Exhaust | ARH Mufflers | Eibach Lowering Springs | BMR Floor Brace Subframe Connectors with Tunnel Brace | BMR Moly Lower Rear Control Arms | Oracle LED Halo Kit
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote