Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
Rob3D

 
Rob3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,166
Drone at car gathering.

So this guy was flying his drone around at a cruise-in. Nobody really cared, those things are cool and reliable get great shots.

But later, when we were all shooting’ the shit, he called himself a drone PILOT. A few of us laughed and sorta poked fun at the “pilot” part of that sentence and, well, it just upset him in a way I can’t quite describe.

He starting quoting FAA regulations and airspace restrictions and weight limits and the intense training required to operate a drone on the planet earth and its adjacent planets and moons.

What he didn’t know was that he was speaking to two real pilots, one fixed wing one rotary. He proceeded to tell us we weren’t qualified to understand drone piloting. He was right about that. LOL His face was very red when he hastily left.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Bigdumogre

 
Bigdumogre's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: New York
Posts: 1,344
Sounds like you guys where being dicks and making fun of someone and their hobby. Military drone pilots do precision strikes without the loss of life on our side and are pilots.
__________________
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
FasNuf

 
FasNuf's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 1,128
He must've been a commercial drone pilot if he had to get a FAA license. Not nearly as rigorous as a real pilot, but required if he plans to make money with that hobby.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
ZED/28
 
ZED/28's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 Camaro SS/RS & 2014 Z/28
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: N/A
Posts: 40
Stuff like this is why I avoid "cars & coffee" crap.
ZED/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:45 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue
 
pyroguy's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM #831
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 6,521
14 CFR Part 107 is related to sUAS/UAV. It's a thing, but who really cares if you are "real" pilots vs him being a drone pilot. Don't crap on a guy for doing something beyond demanding $15/hr to flip burgers with zero experience. Do I brag about flying drones almost every day? No. Partially because blowing stuff up is the more exciting part of my everyday work, but also because I've been doing it for 6+ years. Let the kid/guy/gal/whatever be excited for what they have and quit giving him grief when he's getting awesome pics for the cause.
__________________
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
102SS
waiting at the tree
 
102SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 2,411
It would suck bad if it ever crashed into a car.

I wouldn't be too happy about it hovering around
__________________
2010 2SS/RS A6 ZL1 Rims
60ft 2.03 13.08 at 107.82 (4/28)
2009 Pontiac G8 3.6L the DD
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:09 AM   #7
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"
 
hrpiii's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
14 CFR Part 107 is related to sUAS/UAV. It's a thing, but who really cares if you are "real" pilots vs him being a drone pilot. Don't crap on a guy for doing something beyond demanding $15/hr to flip burgers with zero experience. Do I brag about flying drones almost every day? No. Partially because blowing stuff up is the more exciting part of my everyday work, but also because I've been doing it for 6+ years. Let the kid/guy/gal/whatever be excited for what they have and quit giving him grief when he's getting awesome pics for the cause.

Do you ever have a "take a friend to work and watch you blow stuff up" day? we all love watching stuff go BOOM!
__________________
BMR Suspension, SLPTVS2300, GFORCE Driveshaft & HalfShafts, Kooks with cutouts and other fun things.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #8
Rob3D

 
Rob3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,166
Eh, we were being dicks a little. They can be pilots if they want to. No real harm in that I suppose. They should at least use the term “remote pilots” so as not to be confused with people that have actually, you know…left the ground. LOL
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 AM   #9
Crim
 
Crim's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Eh, we were being dicks a little. They can be pilots if they want to. No real harm in that I suppose. They should at least use the term “remote pilots” so as not to be confused with people that have actually, you know…left the ground. LOL
Pretty sure anyone that hears the word Drone knows it's synonymous with Remote.

What cracks me up are the people who bitch and complain every time they see a Drone in the air like they are being spied on or it better not crash into my car LOL. Chances are you can get some pretty good pics of your show with them if you're nice to the guy.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:54 AM   #10
Rob3D

 
Rob3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Pretty sure anyone that hears the word Drone knows it's synonymous with Remote.

What cracks me up are the people who bitch and complain every time they see a Drone in the air like they are being spied on or it better not crash into my car LOL. Chances are you can get some pretty good pics of your show with them if you're nice to the guy.
I agree with this part. His took off and landed by itself and froze in place when he left the controls alone, pretty much idiot proof. Nothing to bitch or complain about.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #11
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue
 
pyroguy's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM #831
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 6,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Do you ever have a "take a friend to work and watch you blow stuff up" day? we all love watching stuff go BOOM!
Here's a couple shots from probably my favorite blast to date. I got to push the button after being the detonator expert for demolishing the power plant that used to power the entire city of Cleveland, OH. Now I "just" do "boring" quarry blasting.

*Fun fact* had the smoke stack gone the wrong way, and the building in the lower left gotten hit, it would have interrupted power to the entire city of Cleveland for 2 months as that is the switch house that routes all of the power for the city still.

Name:  Cleveland power plant.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  Cleveland power plant 2.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  78.8 KB

I also hold the record for the largest blast in the state of NJ. Approximately 200,000 pounds of explosives going off in just over 1 second. This quarry was close enough to NYC that you could see the NYC skyline from the top part of the quarry.

To answer your question, depending on where you live, there are times that quarries will allow people to come to the quarry for a community outreach day where you get to watch a blast go off. I highly recommend it if you get the chance. Also, if they let you be near the blaster when the shot goes off, ask him/her if you can push the button. Many times a blaster is happy to let someone else push the button.
__________________
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #12
Rob3D

 
Rob3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,166
Pyro E. Coyote!


Name:  8BC0337E-4B84-4DC0-8B8F-EAAA618C6FAC.jpeg
Views: 179
Size:  39.1 KB
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:02 PM   #13
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue
 
pyroguy's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM #831
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: TN
Posts: 6,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
Pyro E. Coyote!


Attachment 1110401
SUPER Genius!
__________________
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:01 AM   #14
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"
 
hrpiii's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indy
Posts: 8,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Here's a couple shots from probably my favorite blast to date. I got to push the button after being the detonator expert for demolishing the power plant that used to power the entire city of Cleveland, OH. Now I "just" do "boring" quarry blasting.

*Fun fact* had the smoke stack gone the wrong way, and the building in the lower left gotten hit, it would have interrupted power to the entire city of Cleveland for 2 months as that is the switch house that routes all of the power for the city still.

Attachment 1110388

Attachment 1110389

I also hold the record for the largest blast in the state of NJ. Approximately 200,000 pounds of explosives going off in just over 1 second. This quarry was close enough to NYC that you could see the NYC skyline from the top part of the quarry.

To answer your question, depending on where you live, there are times that quarries will allow people to come to the quarry for a community outreach day where you get to watch a blast go off. I highly recommend it if you get the chance. Also, if they let you be near the blaster when the shot goes off, ask him/her if you can push the button. Many times a blaster is happy to let someone else push the button.
Awesome!!!! I love it. Hopefully I will get an opportunity to do that some day, would definitely enjoy it!! Thanks for Sharing!!
__________________
BMR Suspension, SLPTVS2300, GFORCE Driveshaft & HalfShafts, Kooks with cutouts and other fun things.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.