Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-26-2023, 01:32 AM   #1
Phantom.LT1

Drives: Chevy Camaro LT1
New Camaro Owner questions

Hello everyone

I’m a new owner of a 2024 LT1, had a few questions if anyone wouldn’t mind answering.

First: my car is only missing the black tail lights to being an RS LT1. I personally like the RS badges. If put the taillights on and add the badges would it be an upbadging or no big deal?

Secondly I eventually plan on modding the car and was wondering what is a best way (if you would say to do it)? Would you say upgrading the exhaust then the intake and engine or vice versa? My thought process is making it breathe better then forcing more air into the engine. Also would you mod as you go or buy all your mods then apply all at once? My first will be upgrading wheels and tires. Stock 245s are IMO dangerous for the cars power. Thanks!
Phantom.LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Welcome fellow new Camaro owner!

I don't think adding RS badges would be consider a bad "up badging". The RS package doesn't really alter the car's performance. It's not like you're claiming it's a ZL1 or claiming a base 3-series BMW is an M3 or something. If it makes you happy, why not?

Regarding the intake, these cars actually breathe pretty good from the factory. It's not like the old days where a K&N air filter will give you a seat-of-the-pants difference in horsepower.

I think your biggest bang for the buck (literally) would be to wake up the exhaust. These cars sound good with a stock exhaust, but they're a little quiet if you don't have the NPP option. Adding an aftermarket system will give you some good sound, it makes the driving experience feel a little more visceral, and will turn heads.

On tires, 245's are plenty of meat. Wheels are mostly an aesthetic choice and cost a LOT of money, again, spending where it really counts unless changing just looks is your thing. But, you might consider a more performance-oriented tire. Just remember, a summer performance tire won't have good traction in cooler climates.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:55 AM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Hi Phantom and , you have chosen well with your car purchase

I wouldn't add the badges, just the taillights, if your car isn't an RS, it shouldn't advertise itself as one. My car has a bunch of LT4 parts, too, but I won't ever upbadge it to a ZL1 either.

As to mods, if you want real power, you'll have to forgo your warranty, so I'd wait at least until the engine is broken in and then a thousand miles on top of that, so maybe 1,500-2,000 miles total, just to make sure none of your powertrain parts and components are a dud.

The exhaust doesn't matter at stock power levels, it's good enough all the way up to crazy power, while adding just a new cold air intake will give you maybe 10-15 hp at best, with a tune which will void your warranty. I suggest that you define a goal first and the progress towards that with your mods instead of just trying to do what comes to mind or what's most popular either here or elsewhere on the internet.

If you go in stages and have a professional shop do the installation and tuning like I did (see my main mods in my signature and all of them on my garage page, by the way), you'll pay more, but the advantage is that, if well planned out, every stage will feel a bit like getting a new-ish powertrain. Obviously if you want to go all in and get it done in one fell swoop, then never touch the car again, that'll be the fastest and cheapest way, although modding in itself isn't a cheap endeavor to begin with (but who cares ).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:57 AM   #4
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.LT1 View Post
Hello everyone

I’m a new owner of a 2024 LT1, had a few questions if anyone wouldn’t mind answering.

First: my car is only missing the black tail lights to being an RS LT1. I personally like the RS badges. If put the taillights on and add the badges would it be an upbadging or no big deal?

Secondly I eventually plan on modding the car and was wondering what is a best way (if you would say to do it)? Would you say upgrading the exhaust then the intake and engine or vice versa? My thought process is making it breathe better then forcing more air into the engine. Also would you mod as you go or buy all your mods then apply all at once? My first will be upgrading wheels and tires. Stock 245s are IMO dangerous for the cars power. Thanks!
In regards to your first point, the headlights/grill are different between a LT1 RS and LT1 non-RS. As for "upbadging" or whatever, astute Camaro owners will know its not a true factory equipped RS car however it is your car, your money so do whatever makes you happy.

Also congrats on the new ride!
Current mileage: 310
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 08:41 AM   #5
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Welcome fellow new Camaro owner!

I don't think adding RS badges would be consider a bad "up badging". The RS package doesn't really alter the car's performance. It's not like you're claiming it's a ZL1 or claiming a base 3-series BMW is an M3 or something. If it makes you happy, why not?
On tires, 245's are plenty of meat. Wheels are mostly an aesthetic choice and cost a LOT of money, again, spending where it really counts unless changing just looks is your thing. But, you might consider a more performance-oriented tire. Just remember, a summer performance tire won't have good traction in cooler climates.
I have the RS package on my LT1 but agree that as it is a cosmetic package if you like the badges, go ahead and add them.

For the wheels/tires update, this to me is the biggest bang for the buck improvement you can do for the LT1 and doesn't have to be that expensive. After a lot of checking out my options with web searches,.. last winter, although I would love the look of wider than 245 front tires as well, it is primarily the rears that need the wider width. So I just went for the easiest and cheapest upgrade by getting 2 matching OEM 9.5" rear wheels for ~$700 (from www.midwestwheels.com) and then upgrading the run flats to Continental EC DWS06+ w/275/35/20's rear tires to match stock SS tire sizes. Although sounds like if you will be going for power upgrades you may want to go wider wheels & tires for both fronts and rears and that does get expensive.

Congrats on your new LT1, enjoy!
Old 11-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #6
Phantom.LT1

Thanks everyone! I’ll decide between an LT1 badge in the rear or the RS ones. I like the RS but I think the LT1 in the rear might a bit more tasteful
Old 11-26-2023, 08:49 PM   #7
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Congrats on your new car. If you like the RS badges, go for it. I painted my front grill RS badge so it’s barely noticeable and painted and moved the rear bumper RS badge above the right tail light. I also removed the giant Bow tie on the trunk. It’s what I like, so I did it. Make your car what you want it to be. Personally, I wouldn’t spring for or remove my rear bumper to upgrade to tinted tail lights ( the $ could be spent elsewhere, if you so choose) Again, it’s your car.. just keep in mind that removing the bumper is a bit of a process and there’s a pretty flimsy attachment point nearest the trunk that could get damaged while removing the bumper.

You have a lot of options to upgrade both aesthetically and mechanically (including the sound system) Take your time and peruse this forum, which is chock full of great info. Good luck and enjoy the new car!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 02:57 AM   #8
Phantom.LT1

Batmobile thanks for the link! I got the SS rear wheels for a great price. They were $600 per from Chevy. Appreciate it!
Old 11-27-2023, 06:28 AM   #9
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Arpad-m gave you some good advice. Think down the road to save some money and take your time to think of your build. I did mostly cosmetic for the first two years while I decided what build I wanted. Good luck.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 07:42 AM   #10
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom.LT1 View Post
Batmobile thanks for the link! I got the SS rear wheels for a great price. They were $600 per from Chevy. Appreciate it!
Awesome! Very glad to hear it, that seemed to be best site for getting OEM style wheels for a good price (at least for 8.5" and 9.5" widths).

You're going to really enjoy having the wider rear wheels and tires, enjoy!

Tags
#lt1