Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
You Should also make sure they aren't leaking at housing as the prongs are very easy to damage in installation if not put in straight. You also need to make sure the axles are pressed in fully to lock the c clips in the diff. Lastly you have to make sure your alignment is correct or it will feel like the backend is skating all over the place.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I meant to say the orings aren't leaking not prongs. Damn auto spell check
Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavis View Post
It makes you feel like you cant drive a stick with the play in there. Its not possible to shift smooth without a clunk especially when babying the clutch at low speeds
You think you have problems? I can't get the 1/2" play (wobble) out of my Hurst short throw shifter. I hate it. I feel like I can't drive everytime I miss 3rd. gear because the shifter is 1/2" inch of the centre line in the shift box. What's up with that eh? LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #18
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Is it really necessary to change axles and driveshaft? I'm SC'd too and beat on my vehicle pretty hard sometimes (6+k RPM), no busted DS or axles.
It is just a matter of time/miles.... and you mean to tell me you can't feel the center hanger banging around when you gas it? Must be nice....
Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
You Should also make sure they aren't leaking at housing as the prongs are very easy to damage in installation if not put in straight. You also need to make sure the axles are pressed in fully to lock the c clips in the diff. Lastly you have to make sure your alignment is correct or it will feel like the backend is skating all over the place.
No leaks and alignment is dialed in. I didnt effect the alignment when I put the shafts in. Car drives great besides the annoying clunk and loose drivetrain slop. Sounds to me like im the only person with this prob, so i will be sending these off to be replaced. The stockers fixed the problem, this will just delay some track time while I send them off.

Calbert, run some slicks on there and let me know how that works out for ya on a sticky track with some hard launches. You can run all day on street tires, but when your tires start to stick something has to give.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:48 AM   #20
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Quote:
Is it really necessary to change axles and driveshaft? I'm SC'd too and beat on my vehicle pretty hard sometimes (6+k RPM), no busted DS or axles.
I did axles because of all the horror stories I've heard, but I drag the car. Go and figure I destroyed my posi in the rearend, but the gears are fine.

Time for a 9 inch
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #21
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Could be that you have a bad cv joint, send em in if you want and we will replace them.

Thanks
Chris
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
great vendor, chris..way to respond to someones problem..
Old 07-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #23
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
Quote:
You think you have problems? I can't get the 1/2" play (wobble) out of my Hurst short throw shifter. I hate it. I feel like I can't drive everytime I miss 3rd. gear because the shifter is 1/2" inch of the centre line in the shift box. What's up with that eh? LOL
i had the same with the hurst, got rid of it and installed the barton shifter and no more problems......the Barton is way better than the Hurst
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
i had the same with the hurst, got rid of it and installed the barton shifter and no more problems......the Barton is way better than the Hurst
Threadjacked.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #25
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
I've got no problems...if anything my drivetrain feels more solid and smooth going throught he gears...I have aftermarket some pretty stiff aftermarket diff bushings though.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #26
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
I had a clunking noise with the stock axles when taking off slowly at a light. GM has a bulliten for it to add a washer to the end of the axle on the wheel end, I had the dealer install the washer and the clunking noise was gone.
Over the winter I installed DSS axles and the clunking is back. I am going to take it back apart next week and install the washers on the DSS axles to see if that does the fix again, I am assuming it will.
From what I understand, alot of the early built cars did not have the washers, and they started installing them as they were building the cars later on.
I'm not sure if they have solved the problem, or if they are still using the washers?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #27
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
Mines boxed up ready to go back to gforce to get replaced, so hopefully that takes care of it. I did look at the stockers and they had a strange washer on the wheel end unlike the gforce ones. There is alot of play in the gforce ones so im guessing the joints is the culprit, but if they dont work out I will try swapping that washer over. Thanks for the info guys!