Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
ddavis
boostalicious

Drives: Blown Ls3
pedders coilover guys look here

Since its crappy weather out at the moment I thought I would go ahead and install my pedders xa coilovers. I have my stock spring/strut off and in the process of reassembling the stock parts on the coilover but cant seem to find this rubber piece. This was not included in the box and my stocker doesnt seem to have it. Where it looks like the gasket should go I just have yellow foam. Is this just the foam piece in black or am I missing something?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
ddavis
boostalicious

looks like i found out why they are different. They changed the part on the later camaro's. Looks like I remove these completely based on this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...coilovers+foam

The instructions say to add this piece, while the forum says remove it. The install guide needs to be updated or something to clear this up.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Remove the foam and steel insulator that is on the bottom side of the OE strut mount. The aluminum ring in the coilover kit replaces it.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
JusticePete

How did your installation go?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
ddavis
boostalicious

thanks i got it sorted. overall it went pretty well. That picture just confused me since i didnt have the same pieces all in front of me. My height adjustment is off though. I set the 12mm distance between the 2 locknuts and ended up with a 639mm height from the bottom of the rim to the bottom fender edge instead of the 645mm the installation metioned I would have. Makes me wonder if I preloaded to much since the height adjustments didnt reference correctly. I do have aftermarket tires 275/40/20 in the front and a supercharger under the hood though, so maybe its from the extra weight?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
JusticePete

Do you happen to have a before ride height measurement?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
ddavis
boostalicious

Yeh but I was on eibach springs, so not stock. 647mm
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
JusticePete

Could be the SC weight or it could be the preset or it could be 2mm of one and 3mm of another. Either way, it should not be an issue.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
ddavis
boostalicious

Ok, thats good to hear. The height is the same on both sides since i matched each side up to the corresponding side, just the overall height was a little lower then expected on the front. Everything else went on well. Car is getting a custom alignment on friday so I will see how it goes then. Any certain specs you would recommend for the alignment since I have a supercharger and some extra weight on the nose?
Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
JusticePete

The first step in proper alignment on a lowered car is to break loose the bolts at every rotational suspension bolt. That would include the the radius and inner control arm bolts up front. In the rear, the trailing arm, toe link, upper and lower control arm at the knuckle and he lower inner. The car then should be at least bounced. The preferred method is driven gently slowly around the ship parking lot. With the weight of the vehicle on the wheels all the bolts are made tight. This process times the bonded ferule OEM rubber bushes to the new ride height.

Timing the bushings balances the car. The rotational resistance in the bushes is a second set of springs in the car. If they are not timed to the new ride height they are creating uneven loads as the car moves over a bump. The suspension will function correctly with the bushes timed and will also last longer.

A conservative performance alignment would look like this.

Front

max out the camber
Toe set to ZERO
Camber -1

Rear
Toe ZERO
Thrust Angle ZERO
Camber -.5

This setup will help with turn in, steering feel, reduce understeer and help square up the rear tires on a hard launch.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #11
ddavis
boostalicious

k, thanks for the info. I timed the bushings when the eibach springs went in, but guess I will need the alignment shop to retime the new setup now. The alignment shop I go to seems to handle alot of pedderized cars and seem to have their act together from my past visits. They are called custom alignment in mountain view,ca if you know of them. Looking forward to the upgrade