Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #43
Annatar

Drives: ZL1 six speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Where do you live?
Europe, but I don't want to reveal more than that.
Quote:
NLS works in any mode as long as it's executed correctly.
I must be doing it wrong then. The engine just seems to want to bang against the revolution limiter. I thought that the revolution matching would keep it at the optimal revolutions per minute for the next gear, which I would expect to be 4,500 RPM, since that is where the maximum torque is?

How specifically does the advertised rev matching work when performing no lift shifting?

Last edited by Annatar; 02-03-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #44
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
Europe, but I don't want to reveal more than that.I must be doing it wrong then. The engine just seems to want to bang against the revolution limiter. I thought that the revolution matching would keep it at the optimal revolutions per minute for the next gear, which I would expect to be 4,500 RPM, since that is where the maximum torque is?

How specifically does the advertised rev matching work when performing no lift shifting?
Do you own a 6th Gen? because there is no rev matching in a 5th Gen.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #45
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
There's no rev match on 5th gen ZL1s (2012-2015). Only 2017+ (6th Gen) ZL1s have Active Rev-Match. The only way to get rev match on a 5th gen is with an auto-blip box which is specifically for track use, it only blips for downshifts when you're on the brakes.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:22 PM   #46
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annatar View Post
Europe, but I don't want to reveal more than that.I must be doing it wrong then. The engine just seems to want to bang against the revolution limiter. I thought that the revolution matching would keep it at the optimal revolutions per minute for the next gear, which I would expect to be 4,500 RPM, since that is where the maximum torque is?

No. That's not how it works at all. No lift shift is a very commonly misunderstood thing for some reason.

You're wide open throttle in 2nd gear, you rev it out to 6000 RPM, you hold the gas to the floor, push the clutch in, RPM's jump up to 6200, you must QUICKLY jam it into third and let out the clutch QUICKLY. If it bangs into the limiter, you're doing something wrong, and more than likely you're not shifting quick enough. You got to know what you're doing with a manual gearbox before attempting this. There's tons of videos on this on YouTube, just search no lift shift. It works the same way in C6 Corvettes, C7 Corvettes, ATS-Vs, G5 ZL1s, G6 ZL1s, etc.

It's worth noting, that all that NLS does is STOP the RPM at Redline (Kind of like a launch control/two step). It shouldn't bounce off the limiter unless you screw it up/suck at shifting.

Go to page 2, there's all the info you need there including Crazy Dave's video:

Last edited by Can'tHave2MuchHP; 02-03-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:13 PM   #47
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
No. That's not how it works at all. No lift shift is a very commonly misunderstood thing for some reason.

You're wide open throttle in 2nd gear, you rev it out to 6000 RPM, you hold the gas to the floor, push the clutch in, RPM's jump up to 6200, you must QUICKLY jam it into third and let out the clutch QUICKLY. If it bangs into the limiter, you're doing something wrong, and more than likely you're not shifting quick enough.
That's possible.
Quote:
You got to know what you're doing with a manual gearbox before attempting this.
I've been driving manuals all my life -- that's all I ever drive. I've no issues power shifting my other car.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #48
Annatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Do you own a 6th Gen? because there is no rev matching in a 5th Gen.
5th generation.

Now I understand. I've been expecting something that isn't there. I'm good now.