Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-24-2024, 07:07 PM   #1
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Headers Question

Is it worth installing a set of headers just for the sound factor? Not interested in doing a tune before my warranty ends, or at any time, for that matter. If so, would the headers void the warranty?
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:07 PM   #2
knighti2

Drives: 2SS M6 Hot Wheels #515
I would not install headers without a tune personally. You just looking for sound why not axle back?

Stock intake (no porting) and stock NPP exhaust.
knighti2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:21 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighti2 View Post
I would not install headers without a tune personally. You just looking for sound why not axle back?
Agreed. If you have NPP, then get a Corsa or Borla that keeps the NPP valves. If you don’t have NPP, the AWE Touring system is exhaust nirvana.
Old 01-24-2024, 08:46 PM   #4
Cp Rooks

Drives: 2023 2ss & 2021 Indian Scout
As Much As I'd Love To As Well, DON'T Put On Headers Without Tuning
Cp Rooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:00 PM   #5
SSShark

I do have NPP exhaust, would never do without it. Mostly I'd like to learn a little about the do's and don'ts. Why not install headers with no tune?
Old 01-24-2024, 09:17 PM   #6
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Super basic, but if the INTAKE side can pull in "10" parts of air.....but the EXHAUST side can only get rid of "8" parts of air(gas), the exhaust by definition is a restriction, and you're really only "using" 8 parts of air, even though your heads and intake may be capable of more. The "tune" in turn, is "tuned" to provide the perfect timing and fuel to get the most out of those "8" parts of air. Add headers and theoretically, now the whole engine is capable of moving 10 parts of air in, and 10 parts of gas out. Timing may change slightly, and you'll need that extra fuel to mix with that extra "2" parts of air the exhaust now allows you to get into the engine.

In the early TPI and carb days, adding headers without any tuning didn't hurt really, but it was often expensive for no real gain. TPI exaust was SO BAD it actually helped, lol, even without a tune, but that's another specific story, lol. Nowadays though, I'm not really fluent on all the different things our LT engines monitor, so I'm not sure if there are any pitfalls on not tuning other than it not really helping much.

Out of curiosity since we're talking about it....what kinda gains are "we" seeing with headers and a tune on these cars??? Part of the appeal that these cars offer me is NOT having to wrench on 'em to get fun power levels. I've got an 88 Iroc that needs all the help it can get! ....still.....never hurts to make every car a little faster!
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:44 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
I do have NPP exhaust, would never do without it. Mostly I'd like to learn a little about the do's and don'ts. Why not install headers with no tune?
Torque based tuning. Changing the airflow through the engine, in a manner that the engine does not expect, gets tuned back out by the ECM. Probably the easiest way to explain it. Torque equals airflow plus timing, so the car will use the throttle and spark retard to negate any improvements you made. Plus permanent trouble codes. So a tune is an important part of any significant change to your airflow.
Old 01-25-2024, 05:32 AM   #8
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
If you don't want a tune but you want the noise, get a full catback system.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 07:23 AM   #9
SSShark

Awesome, thank you all for your valuable info, I've learned a few things today. Looks like I'll stay put for the time being. Maybe in a few years I might look at it differently and delve into some bolt ones and a tune. Thank you all.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:08 AM   #10
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Is it worth installing a set of headers just for the sound factor? Not interested in doing a tune before my warranty ends, or at any time, for that matter. If so, would the headers void the warranty?
You don't install headers without a tune, regardless of what anyone tells you.

You can and will break things that way. And yes headers will void the warranty, especially when things start to break after 1-3 months.

So I would say no, not worth it in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
If you don't want a tune but you want the noise, get a full catback system.
^ Best advice

Cat backs do not void warranties, no tune required and nothing breaks, unless you live in California, then just breaking-wind after eating taco bell is illegal.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 08:18 AM   #11
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
You don't install headers without a tune, regardless of what anyone tells you.

You can and will break things that way. And yes headers will void the warranty, especially when things start to break after 1-3 months.

So I would say no, not worth it in your case.

^ Best advice

Cat backs do not void warranties, no tune required and nothing breaks, unless you live in California, then just breaking-wind after eating taco bell is illegal.
Thanks FlukeSS, I'll stay put for the time being and see how it goes somewhere down the road. I think headers and a tune at some point might be way for me.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:40 AM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Good thinking SSShark! ��
Old 01-25-2024, 09:53 AM   #13
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Good thinking SSShark! ��
Thanks LT4Greg
Old 01-26-2024, 07:14 AM   #14
Briland_1LE

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I had the secondary cats removed and its still legal in most stayes like that and it sounds like 20% louder I like it.

You can install headers without a tune its not going to hurt anything. The engine will run with the stock logic. You just won’t make the power you could with a tune. Unplug the battery to force a relearn of fuel trims and idle etc.
Briland_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote