Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Wash/Wash/Detailing and Cosmetic Maintenance Parts

Old 02-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #29
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
A couple of my details, so people know that I know a little bit about what I speak.
I did use a combo of Rotary and Flex polishing to achieve these results. But I post them just for accreditation. Enjoy the pics.

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7535

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...ead.php?t=9397

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13096
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
The Flex has adjustable speeds gentlemen. It does NOT have to be aggressive. There is A LOT more to polishing a car than the buffer that is used. On this forum The Junkman has spent a lot of time educating you guys. I am not here to argue, just help. If you narrow your mind to one way and one way only? It keeps you from being the best you can be. I will stand by my words and say that the flex is a better machine.

And as far as The Junkmans statement. " Never tell a guy to do to his paint what I wouldn't allow him to do to mine." I never told him what to do to his paint. Just that the Flex is better. If he wanted my advice on that I could surely help. I would start by saying "Always start with the least aggressive method" which CAN be achieved with the Flex.

Please remember, I didn't get into a "How To" just my opinion on a Polisher.

Thanks guys.
First, understand that we are not arguing. We are both expressing our opinions, which to me is just that... a discussion.

I often see the word "better" associated with the Flex when compared to the PC. However, that really depends on the variables concerned with the use of the machine. For example, I think everyone reading this would agree that a fully loaded, 2012 Camaro is a MUCH better car than a stock 1996 Ford Aerostar. However, if you had 5 kids and went camping every other weekend, the Camaro wouldn't be very practical. In that scenario, the Aerostar is the "better" car given the situation.

Comparing that to polishers, the Flex has the capability to correct paint faster. It removes clear coat much faster than the PC. However, it can damage paint if used incorrectly, and with some aggressive compounds or polishes. Enter the PC. You practically have to swing the polisher by the cord at your car to do damage with it, no matter what you use. It will take longer to correct your paint but given the correct technique, you can achieve some outstanding results.

Now enter the novice to machine polishing. He knows nothing about a "technique", doesn't know one polish from another and hasn't been taught anything about what and what not to do with a polisher. Given that scenario, the "better" polisher for him would be the PC, as it is going to be extremely hard for him to damage his paint past a quick fix by an experienced detailer. I would gladly allow him to use that machine and practice on my car. Many folks, including some from this forum have taken me up on that offer and visited me at my garage. I would not be the slightest worried about them doing any damage to my car's paint whatsoever.

That definitely would not be the case with the Flex. Being a more aggressive machine and harder to control, you need to be shown how to use it as a novice. Also, if the damage in your paint is not significant, there is no need to cut more clear off the car than necessary. You stated that your advice would be to start with the least aggressive method. I agree with you 100%. The least aggressive method also includes the polisher you are using and in this case, I think that you would agree that the PC is the lesser of the two.

Since we are dealing with cars that are relatively new for the most part, repairing the paint on them should not require anything super aggressive. Also, given the amount of clear coat on today's cars, you want as much to remain on the car as possible. Thus, I say go at your paint repair slow and steady with a solid technique. A bigger hammer is not always the answer and you can end up causing more work by using one. That's why for a novice to machine polishing, I always recommend the PC.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #31
IrocJack

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS RJT
Ebay 119.00 brand new.
IrocJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #32
cam fan

Drives: fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrocJack View Post
Ebay 119.00 brand new.
yea man thank you. it's funny because I am looking at that right now. there is a used one that looks like it's gunna go for $90 or so in the next hour but let's see if i win the bid. if not, $30 extra isn't too bad
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

If you buy a PC along with a kit, you get a much better price on the machine and everything else involved because the kits are priced to move. Throw in my discount code and if you can do the math, you will see that you just got one hell of a deal. I'm surprised that more folks haven't figured this out. Buying stuff here and there causes you to pay more money in the long run, especially when you figure in shipping.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #34
XQIZT
Adam's Distributor

Drives: 1988 Base Coupe, 1991 Z28
I have one that was used ONCE...selling it for $100. Also, if you need any Adam's products, I sell them at the same price the Adam's website does...including Daily Specials and any other discounts.

Florida's Distributor of Adam's Premium Car Care Products
Same Prices and Fast Delivery
Call or text at 407-257-9604 ~ Email at mike@xqizt-automotive.com ~ Facebook.com/XQIZTAUTO
XQIZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
cam fan

Well Ashley priced out the paint repair 3 bottle set + the pads + backing plate + a $20 wax for $147 WITH the discount :/
Old 02-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #36
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
Well Ashley priced out the paint repair 3 bottle set + the pads + backing plate + a $20 wax for $147 WITH the discount :/
You found a better price?

Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #37
cam fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You found a better price?
In Junkman we trust

just checked the math

$119 for the ebay brand new PC shipped

$147 for the needed Adam's stuff (backing plate, 4 pads + $20 wax)

SUM: $266

...same kit less the wax with the discount & estimated $16 to ship...$250

IF YOU WANT WAX = $288

EDIT: it will cost a few dollars more if you want the wax

Sorry JM, yes

Last edited by cam fan; 02-15-2012 at 07:45 PM.
cam fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #38
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Now here's where the hidden cost comes into play. If anything happens to that eBay polisher, what kind of warranty comes with it? Also, who do you call and return it to if you don't like it for a full refund? I'm going out on a limb here but I'm going to guess the answer is no one and 1 year or no warranty.

Now guess what Adam Pitale will do for you...

The things that we never consider when we are blinded by a few dollars...

Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #39
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Now here's where the hidden cost comes into play. If anything happens to that eBay polisher, what kind of warranty comes with it? Also, who do you call and return it to if you don't like it for a full refund? I'm going out on a limb here but I'm going to guess the answer is no one and 1 year or no warranty.

Now guess what Adam Pitale will do for you...

The things that we never consider when we are blinded by a few dollars...
You are correct sir.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #40
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
You are correct sir.
Thank you sir.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #41
cam fan

I hear you Junkman & i'm only seeking what's real.

The ebay pc does come with a 30 day return and the porter cable factory warranty though.

The Adam's is the botique for sure so i guess it works out that the extra dough is like buying that warranty plan for electronics at best buy lol
Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #42
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

You're figuring this out.

If that machine breaks under the manufacturer's warranty, you have to go through the hassle of locating a place to get it fixed in your city or worse yet, shipping it out and incurring the cost associated with that. With Adam's, you just send it to them and they take care of everything. That's worth at least $8 dollars to me, which is what I pay for a burger and fries at a decent diner. You won't appreciate it until something happens.

Sorta like road hazard tire protection or car insurance!