Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Arrow * * * OnStar iPhone application - UPDATE * * *

Hope this answers some of your questions:

OnStar is expanding its mobile app technology beyond the Chevrolet Volt to include the majority of vehicles in the 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC portfolios. We’re demonstrating the features that will soon be coming to customers as part of distinct brand-specific mobile apps for owners that each brand will be bringing to market in the months ahead.

What can the app technology do?

This technology takes the best features from OnStar and places it in the palm of your hand. Drivers will have the ability to remotely start their vehicle, activate horn and lights and lock/unlock their vehicle’s doors from their smartphones.

In addition, drivers can get access an up-to-date health report of their vehicle anytime they need it including fuel tank level and range, remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure and lifetime average miles-per-gallon that’s accurate as of the last vehicle start.

Current odometer reading, vehicle VIN and OnStar account number will also be readily accessible within the apps. And should OnStar subscribers need assistance with something that the mobile apps don’t provide, they can one-touch dial to specially-trained advisors, who are available to assist customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How does this technology work?

This technology uses OnStar’s unique connection to remotely deliver services from the cloud to your vehicle. When a user requests a service, their smartphone will send a signal to OnStar who will validate the information and send a secure signal to the vehicle to execute the request.

What smartphones will this technology work on?

At this time, the technology has been validated on the iPhone (including the new iPhone 4) and the Android mobile OS (including the Droid, Droid Incredible and new Droid X).

What vehicles will this technology work on?

The OnStar mobile app technology will be functional on 2011 Chevrolet Volt, Cruze, Avalanche, Camaro, Equinox, Impala, Suburban, Tahoe and Traverse; Cadillac SRX, CTS, DTS, Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT; Buick Enclave, LaCrosse and Lucerne; GMC Acadia, Terrain, Yukon, Yukon XL.

What about vehicles older than 2011? Will the mobile app technology work for them?

The mobile app technology requires OnStar’s new hardware, Gen 9, which just launched with the 2011 model year.

What about 2011 vehicles that aren’t listed, like the Buick Regal?

Each vehicle not included has unique engineering limitations that prohibit this technology from working that are different from product to product. We’re working closely with our partners in vehicle development to expand the availability of this technology as quickly as possible.

When will these apps be available to customers?

Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC are working to bring their mobile applications to customers as quickly as possible. Each brand has a different rollout schedule, but expect to see more news on this front in the months ahead.

How do the remote connectivity features differ from what I can already do on my key fob?

The big difference is that you don’t have to be near your vehicle for the features to work. Say for example you’re racing to catch a flight and you realize when you reach your gate that you forgot to lock your car. Instead of having to go all the way back to the parking deck, you can simply take out your smarphone and send a lock signal down to your vehicle. Or say you’re at the ballpark on a hot sunny day and you want your vehicle to be cooled down for you by the time you make the long walk back to it. You can use your smartphone to remotely start your vehicle and have the A/C working for you before you even leave the stadium.

What happens if someone takes my phone? Can they then control my car or get critical information about me and my vehicle?

No-just to log into the app, you’ll need to have a personal user ID and password, and the vehicle connectivity features have a separate added layer of protection though a secure PIN that must be entered in order to send the command to the vehicle. Additionally, on the back-end, we have more than 15 years of experience of securely delivering remote connectivity services, and are firmly committed to keeping our subscriber’s

Will there be an additional fee for mobile app services?

OnStar will plan to offer the mobile app services as part of a customer’s basic OnStar subscription.

Will the Google navigation features you announced in March be available for Android users on the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC apps?

The full breadth of services for the production applications are still being defined, but as we demonstrated, this technology is currently planned for a 2.0 version of the mobile app for the Volt. Stay tuned.

Is the Volt still going to have a separate app?

Yes, the Chevrolet Volt mobile app is still planning to launch as a unique app to customers in tandem with the launch of the vehicle later this year.

How is this app different from offerings from competitors?

OnStar was the first automaker to reveal a working connected vehicle smartphone application when we announced the Chevrolet Volt mobile application during CES in January. While other automakers have brought other apps to market since then, none offers the full breadth of services that we do. It’s also important to note that this is only version 1.0 – as we demonstrated with the Google navigation features we demonstrated at Google I/O, we’re committed to continued innovation in this space.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
So they will never have support for the 2010 Camaro? What the hell?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Just need to wait for the app to come out so we can test it out on a 2010.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
nashstat

Drives: 2SS Camaro
I just have to say... the 2010 Camaro non compatibility issue is such a fail for GM. Many buyers here put faith in GM in their darkest hour... and this is how they take care of them!

A car that Ed Welburn said is the latest in technology is outdated just a year after it's release!

MASSIVE FAIL!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Bear

Drives: 2015 Green Flash 2SS M6
Scotty if you would please. The one burning question with the App is can I remote start an LS3? That makes this whole thing all worth while. Thanks!!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
JUISSD

Drives: 2010 White/IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post
I just have to say... the 2010 Camaro non compatibility issue is such a fail for GM. Many buyers here put faith in GM in their darkest hour... and this is how they take care of them!

A car that Ed Welburn said is the latest in technology is outdated just a year after it's release!

MASSIVE FAIL!
+1

Old 08-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashstat View Post

MASSIVE FAIL!
This nonsense about "needs the latest hardware" is just that: nonsense.

If they way they have done this requires special hardware then clearly their engineers are complete nincompoops.

I am not renewing OnStar in ANY of my cars because of this stupidity.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Scotty if you would please. The one burning question with the App is can I remote start an LS3? That makes this whole thing all worth while. Thanks!!
If you can't remote start the LS3 from your Key Fob then you cannot remote start the LS3 from ANYTHING.

This has been addressed many times before. The LS3 has a clutch.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
This sucks so hard. Maybe I will just have to get a 2011 CTS V Coupe.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Way to drop the ball GM and Onstar!!!! %$^#$$#@$@#%
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
Eduk8r

Drives: Blue 2SS/RS
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
This is some pretty sweet technology! It is too bad it won't work on mine though.....a lot of the things mentioned would be handy. But it is just that..."handy".
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
chevydrvr

Drives: fast.
Guys...i know your upset that it won't work on your 2010 but think of how long you've gone without it. You will be fine. I don't know everything about that stuff but if it only works with the newer version of onstar than that's it. The newer version must have some type of new programming in it that allows the signal to be transferred from your phone to onstar then to your car.

The older version was only built to send a signal to and from your car. It makes sense to me. You all act like everybody must think of everything all at once. Just because they couldn't come out with this at the same time as the camaro doesn't mean they screwed up.

Who knows...maybe you can go to a dealer or something and get onstar upgraded.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduk8r View Post
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.
I'm with you...these are great cars. I have nothing to complain about and lots to brag about with Camaros in general.

If I can't ever use the OnStar iPhone app, I won't feel any differently about my car than I did before I knew the app existed...which is ecstatic!

Closed Thread