Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #1
Silverado34

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS
Death wobble

I have read several posts about steering wheel shake. I am having the same issue. I have aftermarket z28 wheels. I have had them balanced several times and road forced balanced. I was told the tires which are new and wheels are all good. I read here that some have changed their hubs and it solved the problem. My car is a 2012 with only 11,000 miles. Does anyone think I should change the hubs? Everything in the front end looks new, and feels tight. Just looking for advise. Thanks
Silverado34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Zspoiler
Zspoiler

Drives: 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro
Have them as well as the rotors checked.
Zspoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
Silverado34

Ok thanks.. Check the rotors even if I don't get any vibration on braking. Also today I drove it and it was shaking very bad. I stopped and drove back home and it was not bad. At one point I got no shake. This is driving me nuts. Do you still suspect hubs? The alignment appears fine it tracks straight.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
When did the shaking start? Has it been there since you got the car (if bought used)? Do any mods (wheels/tires) soon before this started? Any suspension work, or has the car been in a collision?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I also have a little steering wheel shake. Cant stand it. Started when i got my zl1 reps. have gotten them balance twice and it still shakes. I figured it was just because the reps were cheaply made.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
Silverado34

It had a slight shake when I got it. I thought it only had 10,000 miles on it so I thought maybe it sat and wasn't driven. I got new wheels with the stock tires. The shake was a little worse. I had them balanced several times. Each time I was assured the balance was good. I got new tires. I now have had them road forced balanced and have less weights then before. I again was assured no issues with wheels or tires. Since it comes and goes I don't think it's the wheels or tires. Other then that no other work done on the car. I appreciate any help.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Silverado34

Any other advise
Old 10-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Have you had the runout on the rim checked?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado34 View Post
Any other advise

Do you use the E-brake? I was getting a vibration through the whole car at about ten minutes into high way driving. Turned out one of the levers for the e-brake was hanging up/ dragging the brake and would cause the vibration. Mechanic took it apart and lubed it up and put it back together and it's been fine. Other times I get vibration is from tire cold spots from sitting over night in the colder temps. Once the tires warm up after a couple miles all is good .
Old 10-06-2018, 12:53 AM   #10
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Are the wheels flush on the hub, all dirt and debris cleaned before installation? Also are the lugs correct specs, as in threading all the way to the hub and tight?
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #11
Silverado34

Thanks all. I have not had the run out on the wheels done. I did have the fronts road forced balanced. They did not say anything was out of spec that way. After the road force there are actually less weights then before. I am at my wits end. Im not sure of what I should do. I don't want to buy a bunch of parts and find its something else. I wish I hadn't sold the original wheels so I could just swap them out and see if it's the wheels. I'm being told by the place I bought the wheels, that it can't be the wheels because they are road forced balanced and the fact it's not vibrating all the time.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Do you use the E-brake? I was getting a vibration through the whole car at about ten minutes into high way driving. Turned out one of the levers for the e-brake was hanging up/ dragging the brake and would cause the vibration. Mechanic took it apart and lubed it up and put it back together and it's been fine. Other times I get vibration is from tire cold spots from sitting over night in the colder temps. Once the tires warm up after a couple miles all is good .
I’ve been chasing down a shimmy/wobble in my steering wheel for a few years now. It’s gotten worse with the Nittos on OEM ZL1 wheels. I checked the balance twice and there’s nothing loose. If it were a bad rotor or hub, it wouldn’t go away after a few miles of driving. I don’t run high pressure in the tires either.

I just recently discovered this flat spot phenomenon. I can’t make sense of it but it’s exactly what’s happening. From a slight wobble to a WTF is going on wobble...then after a few miles it’s smooth as glass.

Someone needs to let the world know about this. LOL There’s no telling how much mechanics have made off diagnosing this problem that ain’t no problem.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #13
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
[QUOTE=

I just recently discovered this flat spot phenomenon. I can’t make sense of it but it’s exactly what’s happening. From a slight wobble to a WTF is going on wobble...then after a few miles it’s smooth as glass.

[/QUOTE]

Mine sits all week and I live just off a road that has 55 mph speed limit. Man you want to talk about the square wheel feel for about 1-2 miles then all gone..
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Sounds like old school bias tires but my car does same thing maybe drive it once a week and shakes at first but none of this is death wobble if you ever had a bad front end on a real 4wd truck( straight front axle) you would know what a real death wobble is