Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
You could move to California. Salt would become a non issue. But you’d have a 100 new ones!
Florida is also an option.

The laws are much better here, but the people and drivers are absolutely nuts. No state income tax and affordable housing is a plus.
2010 Cyber Gray Metallic Camaro 2SS/RS L99 - Texas Speed Longtubes (Catless), Summit X-Pipe, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle Back (w/MBRP GFX Tips), Vararam OTR CAI, Granatelli wires/AC Delco 41-110 Plugs, 160* Stat, LED DRL/Harness, Vitesse Throttle Controller, STOP-TECH Slotted/Cross Drilled Rotors w/Hawk HB453Z.585 Performance Ceramic Pads, ZL1 Leather Steering Wheel, ZL1 Add-Ons Wicker Bill Spoiler, SLP Front Splitter - Tune by DynoSteve
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #16
Michaels_45

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro 2LT RS
Plenty of people drive their cars through the winter and the salt without the car being "eaten alive" by salt. There are very few days of the winter that I leave my car in the garage. If you want my opinion, don't worry about. Take it to a self-serve car wash every now and then to keep it clean. To be fair, I live in Indiana, so we use a lot of brine instead of just salt. However, I still believe the effects of salt are overrated. Just my two cents!
Michaels_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaels_45 View Post
Plenty of people drive their cars through the winter and the salt without the car being "eaten alive" by salt. There are very few days of the winter that I leave my car in the garage. If you want my opinion, don't worry about. Take it to a self-serve car wash every now and then to keep it clean. To be fair, I live in Indiana, so we use a lot of brine instead of just salt. However, I still believe the effects of salt are overrated. Just my two cents!
No way. Cars that I use in the winter need new calipers and rotors every two years. And all the bolts and hose clamps are rusty and crumbling. Brine is even worse at penetrating into crevices than salt.

If you love your Camaro and have a winter beater, just don't, don't take the Camaro out until the salt is gone. Store it with clean oil, Sta-bil in the tank, and battery tender attached, and you will be good to go in April or May.
Rock-It Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #18
TheFlyingBananaSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I'm using my GMC Jimmy during the winter months. But if the roads are clean I do take the Camaro out for the day.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #19
Michaels_45

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
No way. Cars that I use in the winter need new calipers and rotors every two years. And all the bolts and hose clamps are rusty and crumbling. Brine is even worse at penetrating into crevices than salt.

If you love your Camaro and have a winter beater, just don't, don't take the Camaro out until the salt is gone. Store it with clean oil, Sta-bil in the tank, and battery tender attached, and you will be good to go in April or May.
I'm sorry you have had problems with it, but my car is doing just fine! I love it so much that I have to drive it year-round. You love your car so much that you wouldn't even dare drive it in the winter. Two different opinions, but the same love! I appreciate the advice, but my love takes me a different direction. Plus it's my only car and I don't really have a choice!
Michaels_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #20
TheFlyingBananaSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
If ya wanna drive it, go ahead! It's YOUR car lol
And not everyone can afford a second car either. Drop that peddle and Go lol
Old 12-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #21
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Every year this kind of topic comes up, and all I can do is tell my experience.

Back in 2012, when I bought my car new, I planed to drive it all year non stop.

Never had a problem with it, other then the stock tires.

When the spring of 14 hit, I decided to do a cat back exhaust.

I couldn't believe my eyes, I was expecting to see my struts and some nutz and boltz with rust. But it was more then that, the trunk pan was showing signs of specks of rust from the rock chips and other parts.

From that point on, I decided not to drive her in the winter anymore, bought a really cheap used car, and I couldn't be happier. Granted I do miss driving my car, but I also don't look forward of seeing the carnage of what winter does.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #22
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Have the undercarriage sprayed...... most municipalities use other than salt.. I used to fix roads and spray and plow... there are oil sprays now not just rubber undercoating, winter tires and all season tires with about the same grip and better wear ratings....

Most places use liberally mag chloride before..salt only on overpasses etc....

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/reso...etreatment.pdf
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #23
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I mean I’ve got a winter beater it makes sense to save the Camaro

I just need to get something to help my summer tires survive, and I’ll cycle the fuel every so often. I’ve got to get my car registered here next week so that’ll be the last time I drive it till the roads are clear

It just pains me to see it parked
Old 12-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #24
NC_SS

But I also want to have it a long time, I’ve already told my wife it’ll be a father/son project for big modifications one day
Old 12-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #25
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F. View Post
I drive mine at a minimum, once every few weeks but only on a clear dry day to keep things lubed and moving. No worries. If it gets above freezing, out comes the hose!
This is what I try to do say once a month but sometimes like last year there are no clear days and it stays in. I too like to keep things moving once in a while. When I do get it out it usually runs for a good hour or so driving around to make sure everything is plenty warm.

So if it gets clear & dry enough it will come out. I don't lower my insurance over the winter to a minimum like my GF does just so I retain the option to take it out on a whim. About the only good thing about having to store the car in the winter is that it makes me really appreciate it when I can drive it again on a regular basis. Which is something I guess....
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #26
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Have some self discipline, if you have another vehicle use it. Salt is no joke.
Back In The Saddle - Earley 2010 2SS IBM A6 #10244 Built - Roto-Fab CAI, Muffler/CAT Delete, 17" Mickey Thompson ET DRs, RDP Tune, ZL1 Fuel Pump,
BW Stage II Ported TB, Speed Engineering 1-7/8" Longtubes, ZEX Nitrous 125HP Shot, Lingenfelter 160* Stat, NGK TR6IX Spark Plugs & Elite Catch Can.
TCI Line Lock, JRE Trans Dipstick, BMR Trailing Arms & Toe Rods, Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 - 11.76 sec @ 117.3 - 1.61 sec 60' - 1/4 mile pass
Check Out My Youtube Channel For 5th Gen Camaro Drag Racing & How To Mods https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyG...GR9gDm6PO-27rg
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #27
Orange skid mark
Just an average Dude

Drives: 2015 1LT Grey w/Orange Rally Stripe
I think the calcium chloride (ice melter) is worse than the salt on vehicles but either should be avoided as much as possible.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:59 PM   #28
NC_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Have some self discipline, if you have another vehicle use it. Salt is no joke.
Yea I drove it this evening, kind of had to because I'm trying to get my car registered here. It's been raining fairly hard all day so I didn't feel that guilty

Otherwise yea the Nissan is on primary duty right now. It looks like things are warming up later this week so it may see some clean roads