Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #1
dwizzlehart

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3
Question 2013 2SS 6MT--Too big of a cam??

I've got a 2013 2SS LS3, currently torn down, about to be cammed. Has forged pistons in the bottom end (Guy that put them in says they have .040" on the top deck.), trunion rockers, and BTR Dual valve springs (.660" lift, standard size guides at .505".) Also has COMP 5/16" 7.400" length pushrods. Also have Ferrea Intake Valves.

Essentially I'm trying to put the largest possible N/A cam in the car without creating any PTV.

Texas Speed has their new Stage 4 F-35 Cam at 235/248 and .649"/.615" with a 111 LSA.

My question to you all is this cam too big? Do I risk binding a valve spring? Can I just get shorter pushrods? If so, what length do you recommend?

P.S. All of these valve train upgrades and forged pistons are already done because I had a guy put a stage 4 BTR cam kit in for me, he did it cheap(get what you pay for), but too cheap. Didn't torque down cam bolts and they backed out whilst driving down the highway....sad face. Wouldn't cover rebuild cost either. So that's why I'm here.
dwizzlehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
With aftermarket pistons in there.. you need to measure imo
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #3
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
With aftermarket pistons you should not have a problem, it sounds to me like you dont have any experience with engine building at all. You should have someone put it together that knows how to measure it and get it done right. Sorry to be so blunt but just trying to save you grief down the road.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 AM   #4
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Go a bit smaller if you want to be safe about PTV. Stage 3 is better for PTV, and is more forgiving in case of an over-rev.

Both arent too big, but gears and smaller wheels/tires would help a lot to tame biggest cams.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwizzlehart View Post
I've got a 2013 2SS LS3, currently torn down, about to be cammed. Has forged pistons in the bottom end (Guy that put them in says they have .040" on the top deck.), trunion rockers, and BTR Dual valve springs (.660" lift, standard size guides at .505".) Also has COMP 5/16" 7.400" length pushrods. Also have Ferrea Intake Valves.

Essentially I'm trying to put the largest possible N/A cam in the car without creating any PTV.

Texas Speed has their new Stage 4 F-35 Cam at 235/248 and .649"/.615" with a 111 LSA.

My question to you all is this cam too big? Do I risk binding a valve spring? Can I just get shorter pushrods? If so, what length do you recommend?

P.S. All of these valve train upgrades and forged pistons are already done because I had a guy put a stage 4 BTR cam kit in for me, he did it cheap(get what you pay for), but too cheap. Didn't torque down cam bolts and they backed out whilst driving down the highway....sad face. Wouldn't cover rebuild cost either. So that's why I'm here.
I have a GPI SS3 in mine with a full stock bottom end, heads have never been off the car. BTR .660 lift platinum springs. No PTV clearance issues, no coil bind issues. The SS3 has a fairly similar profile to the F-35. (wonder what TSP was looking at when they put that together....) Both are considered max effort with a stock bottom end with regards to PTV clearance - lots of guys running both without issues.

But these guys are right - you're not stock any more and you really want to do some actual PTV measuring to make sure you're in a safe spot. Also, I dunno about the F-35, but the the SS3 is cut on a smaller base circle and requires a longer 7.425" pushrod for proper lifter preload. You should be measuring for that (proper lifter preload) as well.

The F-35 and SS3 are both really good choices for a stout NA build. I recommend you give GPI a call and talk through your combo, they may be able to offer some insight on your options. It sounds like with the aftermarket pistons you may have plenty of relief and could reasonably running a more aggressive cam that usually requires fly-cutting in stock applications. Not sure what your goals are, but that's something to consider - Ryan at GPI could help you spec out something custom that would really maximize your setup.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You need to talk to professionals first...……. Most builds require longer pushrods by .025 due to the smaller than stock base circle, of course if your reusing anything it may be OK, measuring for PTV clearance smart, and the largest CAM NOT ALWAYS THE BEST...… you want power you can go all out paper chase for HP and torque be damned and average power be damned or you can be smart and look for lots of power under the curve to move a heavy object. You amount in the Hole matters to the pistons as does the Head gasket thickness, and fly cutting is always a option for some and what we think of as big cam is small for real race cars.....
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #7
05SilverStreak

Drives: Black aSS 2011 - L99
I just installed the BIG Texas Speed Cam, their 2.00" headers and full 3" exhaust, (no cats), to the back. Did the L99 to LS3 conversion while I was in there, (all Texas Speed). Now I sit all mechanically ready to blow tires and My computer is stuck in 4 cyl mode, the TPS's are both acting up, and misfires are being reported to the ECM because of the DOD delete. What can be done for a quick fix as far as tuning goes? I have the trifecta flash cable so I can hook up from my laptop to the OBD port. I wonder if I throw a stock LS3 tune in there if it will work until I can get to the tune master and dyno?
Old 10-06-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Just fyi... I used to use the .639/.623 TSP 235/239 cam was awesome, no problem with PTV clearance 112 LSA but used; 675 springs......

Tags
cam, camshaft, ls3, texas speed, valvetrain