Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #29
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
So what was the final weight reduction?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #30
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Congratulations on the build.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:41 AM   #31
Fusionofideas

Drives: 2015 Z28, C7 Corvette, Evo X
Final weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
So what was the final weight reduction?
We were able to get it down to just over 3600lbs. Car still has all the glass in the car, driver and passenger door panels, full cage and fire suppression system,
We pulled heater core. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.
Fusionofideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:42 AM   #32
Fusionofideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Congratulations on the build.
Thank you so much. It has run like a champ. The car has so much more then I am giving it, however I am still breaking my AWD habits coming from a Mitsubishi Evo X track car.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #33
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26

How much does the car weigh with you in it? Serious question, because I have always thought of that myself. I'm a big guy and it definitely makes a difference. I remember the Indy guys complaining about how light Danica Patrick was in the car and that gave her a weight advantage. Now, as for her talent...

Thanks for sharing. I could never cut up my Z/28, but it is really cool to see your progress!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #34
phillyflyer

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionofideas View Post
Thank you so much. It has run like a champ. The car has so much more then I am giving it, however I am still breaking my AWD habits coming from a Mitsubishi Evo X track car.
I'd be curious to get any info on what you feel are the biggest differences in terms of driving techniques and what to be cognizant of in terms of handling characteristics (i.e. where the car wants to step out, how it handles different throttle inputs, where to be cautious, etc.)

I come from the same AWD "hero car" (albeit a IX) where sometimes it's easy to get lazy as the Evo can mask mistakes where other cars can bite

Thanks!!

Last edited by phillyflyer; 03-20-2016 at 05:28 PM.
phillyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 AM   #35
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
What was the weight of your race cage? 3600 with a full cage is not bad. You should be able to shorten that battery cable significantly if you route it direct to the battery or even to the left of the driver. A few pounds there. Trimming the dash structure, taking off most of the brackets for knee support and the passenger "handle" will only give you about 3-4lbs savings. If you take the trans noise/heat mat off that will give you a lot of mass savings (20lbs about) and you could put some gold foil or other lighter material similar to what the Moreno boys did on their G5.R. Their bumper beams would give you another 26lbs mass savings (front and rear combined). What did you do for your door panels or are they just cut out? Also, if you go solid mounts (aluminum) on cradle/diff etc. you could save a bit of mass there but not sure you will gain as much in performance since the Z is already upgraded in those areas. Brake and clutch pedals are very heavy too, if you have some means or contacts to get a pedal box in there you could loose significantly more mass. They are not cheap though and I can't find a set right now with a manufacturer that is drop in, its all custom work.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #36
Fusionofideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyflyer View Post
I'd be curious to get any info on what you feel are the biggest differences in terms of driving techniques and what to be cognizant of in terms of handling characteristics (i.e. where the car wants to step out, how it handles different throttle inputs, where to be cautious, etc.)

I come from the same AWD "hero car" (albeit a IX) where sometimes it's easy to get lazy as the Evo can mask mistakes where other cars can bite

Thanks!!
I was tracking the Evo X and the biggest difference I personally feel between that and the Z28 is being able to pitch the car into a corner. In the Z28 it is very much a process of braking, setting up turn and then smooth throttle and steering input. I heard that supposedly you can mash the throttle and the computer will sort out wheel spin however I am not sure what traction mode that is in as I always run the race mode. I am still testing that and need to find a wide open parking lot or somewhere that I can.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:38 PM   #37
Fusionofideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post

How much does the car weigh with you in it? Serious question, because I have always thought of that myself. I'm a big guy and it definitely makes a difference. I remember the Indy guys complaining about how light Danica Patrick was in the car and that gave her a weight advantage. Now, as for her talent...

Thanks for sharing. I could never cut up my Z/28, but it is really cool to see your progress!
3900+- depending if I have a salad for lunch and did my Jenny Craig for the day
Old 03-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #38
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionofideas View Post
I was tracking the Evo X and the biggest difference I personally feel between that and the Z28 is being able to pitch the car into a corner. In the Z28 it is very much a process of braking, setting up turn and then smooth throttle and steering input. I heard that supposedly you can mash the throttle and the computer will sort out wheel spin however I am not sure what traction mode that is in as I always run the race mode. I am still testing that and need to find a wide open parking lot or somewhere that I can.
I am making that exact same transition as well. It is very different and you are spot on about being able to pitch the Evo and power out vs setup and turn. I do really like the PTM and it really does allow you to get on the power very early compared to a normal rwd. What helped me get settled in is on my track day i went thru each of the PTM modes and was able to see and feel how each mode gave more control back to me. I was able to get on the power very early like I was still in my Evo X. I suggest take a track day and go thru the modes and it will make you more comfortable with mode 5. In mode 5 i was able to get that rear end to wiggle/rotate. I also did an autocross so I could put the car on the very edge without significant risk and hitting a wall. Thats also really helped dial me in. I do miss my Evo but this is definitely a fun capable car.

Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #39
Fusionofideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I am making that exact same transition as well. It is very different and you are spot on about being able to pitch the Evo and power out vs setup and turn. I do really like the PTM and it really does allow you to get on the power very early compared to a normal rwd. What helped me get settled in is on my track day i went thru each of the PTM modes and was able to see and feel how each mode gave more control back to me. I was able to get on the power very early like I was still in my Evo X. I suggest take a track day and go thru the modes and it will make you more comfortable with mode 5. In mode 5 i was able to get that rear end to wiggle/rotate. I also did an autocross so I could put the car on the very edge without significant risk and hitting a wall. Thats also really helped dial me in. I do miss my Evo but this is definitely a fun capable car.

I have been running it in 5 after the first few sessions since day one on the track. I am looking for a auto cross in socal area to push it and get it to spin and see where the limit is. What I love in comparison to the Evo X is that I can run hard all day and all I have to worry about is tire pressure and fuel.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:28 PM   #40
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Very true...my evo drank fuel like it was going out of business and so many little things to check between runs. Now it is all motor and a go pedal and yeah I spun out a few times during the autocross and it felt good to get that out of my system and know the subtle hints it gives before it loops. In order to spin the evo you really had to be out of whack. Either way glad to meet another convert. I am in the phoenix area and if you ever want to come out here for an autocross i can get you set up.
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #41
Fusionofideas

Quote:
Very true...my evo drank fuel like it was going out of business and so many little things to check between runs. Now it is all motor and a go pedal and yeah I spun out a few times during the autocross and it felt good to get that out of my system and know the subtle hints it gives before it loops. In order to spin the evo you really had to be out of whack. Either way glad to meet another convert. I am in the phoenix area and if you ever want to come out here for an autocross i can get you set up.
I am in SO cal if you are out this way we need to hit the track. I run with NASA and they have NASA Arizona region events out at Chuckwalla Raceway. Maybe I will see you there.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #42
Fusionofideas

Quote:

Here is a quick pic of my Evo. I still am trying to sell it.
Attached Images