Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Not entirely new: '11 SRT8 possibly up to 480 horse

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/28/2...to-get-480-hp/

"First and foremost among the predicted changes on the 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 is more power from an enlarged 6.4-liter Hemi: a bump of 55 horsepower and 40 pound-feet of torque. That would put the big coupe at 480 ponies and 460 lb-ft., and rumor also has it that power will get to the wheels through an eight-speed automatic transmission developed by Chrysler and ZF. Also according to Allpar's inside man, output levels will remain the same on the R/T model, while the base SE will get Pentastar V6 engines with 40 more horses and 20 more lb-ft, for 290 hp and 270 lb-ft. in total.

Most of the other supposed changes seem meant to make life easier for Chrysler and Challenger buyers. The floorpan is being reworked so the car fits more easily into Charger and 300 production, an electric power steering pump is coming onboard and an upgraded interior is in the offing. Cosmetically, the muscle car picks up the Charger's door handles, the Magnum wagon's hatch release button for its trunk, and the lower front grille gets turned upside down
."

COME ON, Z28!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
What they going to do with the price then, it already is about 7000 to 8000 more than the SS???
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
What they going to do with the price then, it already is about 7000 to 8000 more than the SS???

I am going to go out on a limb and predict little to no increase in price. Also a base SRT is around 5k more than a loaded 2SS (which basically brings it to base SRT levels), also the auto SRT will run cylinder deactivation to purge the car of it's gas guzzler tax.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
It's still an overweight boat. Larger engine and 8-speed auto transmission? Even more weight going on. Hope they lighten other things. Although 480HP does sound nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
COME ON, Z28!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
they had to make it in hot pink too

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Honestly - I don't think price will get too crazy. Like you said, it's already a high premium over SS, but, IMVHO, the SRT8 is not SS's competition. SRT8 should be GT500 competition. However, I've also read that it really isn't; it's more of a touring-type car, not so much a road burner

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
2010 2-Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and predict little to no increase in price. Also a base SRT is around 5k more than a loaded 2SS (which basically brings it to base SRT levels), also the auto SRT will run cylinder deactivation to purge the car of it's gas guzzler tax.
I understand what your saying BUT let's compare Apples to Apples, 2SS against SRT8 and see what the price difference is!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Not bad numbers. It will be interesting to see how well it performs. When are they expected to arrive, this fall?

BTW, I'm not sure what the point of comparing it to the SS will be anymore. It will obviously out perform it, and cost more, and have more features. Not really much obvious common ground, unless you feel the need to compare top of the line to top of the line.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
2010 2-Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not bad numbers. It will be interesting to see how well it performs. When are they expected to arrive, this fall?

BTW, I'm not sure what the point of comparing it to the SS will be anymore. It will obviously out perform it, and cost more, and have more features. Not really much obvious common ground, unless you feel the need to compare top of the line to top of the line.
I have to disagree. I don't think it will be any faster than the SS even with the extra 50 or so hp. Everyone is and will compare, that is just the facts.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I have to disagree. I don't think it will be any faster than the SS even with the extra 50 or so hp. Everyone is and will compare, that is just the facts.
Well, the current SRT8s are almost as fast as the SS, despite their weight disadvantage. Add more power and even more aggressive gearing and I don't see how it can't be faster.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I understand what your saying BUT let's compare Apples to Apples, 2SS against SRT8 and see what the price difference is!
I just don't think they're aimed at the same buyers I can't support that theory though I think it's just a premium muscle-touring car.

Quote:

I agree. I'm sure they're going to make improvements to the rest of the powertrain and chassis. However, by (what is sounds like from other sources) the time it comes out in 2012, I'm sure SS is going to get improvements, too. I think there's room for another Camaro in the line-up also that will duke it out directly

Quote:
It's already pretty close to being the same speed now. In terms of handling, that's a little different story, but they've tuned the car different, in terms of making the car more comfortable than performance-minded, IMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 06-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
2010 2-Tone

Quote:
Well, the current SRT8s are almost as fast as the SS, despite their weight disadvantage. Add more power and even more aggressive gearing and I don't see how it can't be faster.
You could be right. I just think the extra weight they are going to gain along with the extra hp that they won't be able to make up the every how small the difference may be. The Camaro, the Mustang and the Challenger will always be compared. Just my opinion but thanks for listening.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
You could be right. I just think the extra weight they are going to gain along with the extra hp that they won't be able to make up the every how small the difference may be. The Camaro, the Mustang and the Challenger will always be compared. Just my opinion but thanks for listening.
IMHO (too ), I just don't know that unless they do something radical, that the weight gain from the new engine would be significant enough to offset the new performance. For example: the engine probably isn't going to weigh too much more, because I've read they're finally going to a poly intake manifold. I'm sure they're going to pick up weight with a 6 or 8-speed tranny (or whatever they do) and probably some more with bigger driveshafts, rear end, and axles. I'm sure they'll bring bigger brakes into the picture too. If they choose to be more aggressive this time with their chassis tuning, SS, or whatever top Camaro model there is, better watch out. That pony from across Detroit isn't getting any slower either!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 06-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
2010 2-Tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
IMHO (too ), I just don't know that unless they do something radical, that the weight gain from the new engine would be significant enough to offset the new performance. For example: the engine probably isn't going to weigh too much more, because I've read they're finally going to a poly intake manifold. I'm sure they're going to pick up weight with a 6 or 8-speed tranny (or whatever they do) and probably some more with bigger driveshafts, rear end, and axles. I'm sure they'll bring bigger brakes into the picture too. If they choose to be more aggressive this time with their chassis tuning, SS, or whatever top Camaro model there is, better watch out. That pony from across Detroit isn't getting any slower either!
Very well put!!!