Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-21-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quietest Muffler/Exhaust system

Recently I posted a thread about quieting down an NPP stock system. First let me qualify myself here, I am moving into an apartment with an underground garage. My LT headers, LSA, stock cam, on NPP sounds like a very angry monster in there and no “noisy cars” is term in the lease. I love my NPP and will likely keep it in storage for a later day when we buy our next house.

So I have explored Forza and that is an option I am considering. However, I am concerned that it won’t be quiet enough. So this thread is to explore quiet exhaust options, whether it is a catback, axle back or complete system. I am aware of Borla Touring, but not really any other system designed to be quiet when the Camaro market is really about the opposite.

Anyone running something similar to my build but with a quiet exhaust? Looking for ideas, reviews, and sound clips.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
1LE_ROLL

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
npp in closed position is pretty damn quiet, as far as camaro exhausts go lol. id wire in a 3 way switch and close it before startup. it takes about a second for engine vacuum to build and close the valves, but itll work.
1LE_ROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
The biggest impact in noise with my NPP was when I took out the hi flow cats, holy shit did that get loud even with the flaps full closed.

I saw on Facebook where someone else took a speed engineering true dual exhaust, rearranged it, and installed it so the mufflers (really more like resonators) and x-pipe were between the headers and stock NPP. I did most of it myself and it makes the noise much quieter at idle and low throttle, but it screams when I get into the boost.

However, what I should have done was take it to a professional muffler shop and have them install their own custom solution instead of buying one, modifying it and then having a muffler shop weld the connection to the NPP.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
1LE_ROLL

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
The biggest impact in noise with my NPP was when I took out the hi flow cats, holy shit did that get loud even with the flaps full closed.

I saw on Facebook where someone else took a speed engineering true dual exhaust, rearranged it, and installed it so the mufflers (really more like resonators) and x-pipe were between the headers and stock NPP. I did most of it myself and it makes the noise much quieter at idle and low throttle, but it screams when I get into the boost.

However, what I should have done was take it to a professional muffler shop and have them install their own custom solution instead of buying one, modifying it and then having a muffler shop weld the connection to the NPP.

i would love to see this setup. i am currently running the speed engineering x pipe and shitty glass packs haha. sounds fine, and drone isnt bad with the windows down, but i am wanting to throw my npp back on and am curious to how this is ran?
1LE_ROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
I don't have any good pictures of mine but here is the Facebook post I saw...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/559684...5353963534077/

830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Something to consider.

Get to an exhaust shop and have your NPP Mufflers cut off. Have them weld some V-Bands/Flanges to the NPP's and your existing pipes. Track down either a stock used set of mufflers or another quiet aftermarket MUFFLER ONLY solution and also have V-Bands welded to those.

Now you have an exhaust system that allows you to quickly switch out mufflers at your convenience in less than 45 minutes. You've built yourself a modular solution, while keeping the NPP feature intact for the future.

No, it's not the perfect solution, but it allows you to reuse your existing pipes up to the mufflers without worrying about purchasing an entire expensive aftermarket catback system. You just switch out mufflers at your leisure. Hell, you could build an entire collection of different sounding V-Banded mufflers to change your sound whenever you want!
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 11-21-2020 at 03:19 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
PhantomBlack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
I also was looking into this at one point and the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe Part #11386 seemed to work really well for a lot of guys here.

Check out this thread a guy has a before and after video: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390942

I have my NPP's set up to were I can have the flaps closed before start up. It makes a difference, but not a huge one.
Mods: GPI SS1 VVT cam, TSP long tube headers, LSA conversion, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, DW 700cc injectors, Lingenfelter solid isolator, Dedicated Motorsports ZL1 reinforced brick, ADM Griptech 2.5 pulley, JLT CAI, Phastek intake scoop, NPP cat-back, GM 3.91 gears, Eaton Truetrac, Tuned by Chris @ CHenry Motorsports.
PhantomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:13 PM   #8
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
This is all great feedback. I think I am going to find a performance shop that handles exhaust and take it in for a look. I have a few weeks before real winter kicks in.

Also, thinking about the manual forza. Can resell it if I don’t like it and it may come in handy for a lot of reasons.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I would probably just get some smaller resonators put on the npp. Could always have them cut off when you move.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBlack View Post
I also was looking into this at one point and the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe Part #11386 seemed to work really well for a lot of guys here.

Check out this thread a guy has a before and after video: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390942

I have my NPP's set up to were I can have the flaps closed before start up. It makes a difference, but not a huge one.
The part number you listed is 2.5 inch. I installed a 3 inch version of this same magnaflow resonated x pipe into my system, and it made very little difference. It took away the raspy snap crackle pop sound and made it deeper in tone. I do like it better now, but it is nowhere near quiet.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
PhantomBlack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
The part number you listed is 2.5 inch. I installed a 3 inch version of this same magnaflow resonated x pipe into my system, and it made very little difference. It took away the raspy snap crackle pop sound and made it deeper in tone. I do like it better now, but it is nowhere near quiet.
I've read a lot of threads where this lowered the noise levels for a NPP exhaust (which is why I listed the 2.5 inch version). I never looked into the 3 inch or how well it works for other exhaust systems. But I never tried it myself I thought about it for awhile. But I love the way my setup sounds even if it is on the loud side so I decided to leave it be. But if I was going to attempt to quite it up a bit the magnaflow resonator would be my choice.
Mods: GPI SS1 VVT cam, TSP long tube headers, LSA conversion, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, DW 700cc injectors, Lingenfelter solid isolator, Dedicated Motorsports ZL1 reinforced brick, ADM Griptech 2.5 pulley, JLT CAI, Phastek intake scoop, NPP cat-back, GM 3.91 gears, Eaton Truetrac, Tuned by Chris @ CHenry Motorsports.
PhantomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote