Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Strong smell of fuel while changing oil

I have been getting a P0300 Cels over the last several months on certain rpms. I fixed/replaced the coils and plugs and that slowed the cel frequency by a lot. But I still get them when holding rpms around 3200 in 3rd gear, then it flashes. I can rev through the gears all day long and not have it come out. Im thinking I may have a defective injector somewhere still causing some occasional rough idle and misfires. confirmed my suspicion when changing my oil the other day and the oil had a fuel odor when draining out. thoughts?
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post
I have been getting a P0300 Cels over the last several months on certain rpms. I fixed/replaced the coils and plugs and that slowed the cel frequency by a lot. But I still get them when holding rpms around 3200 in 3rd gear, then it flashes. I can rev through the gears all day long and not have it come out. Im thinking I may have a defective injector somewhere still causing some occasional rough idle and misfires. confirmed my suspicion when changing my oil the other day and the oil had a fuel odor when draining out. thoughts?
Is your oil level high? Do you notice the car running richer than usual? My high-pressure fuel pump failed last month, and I was getting fuel into the oil and running crazy rich.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
12blkgrayRS

no nothing unusual except the occasional cel. starts fine, runs fine, accelerates great. it does idle rough at light at around 4-500 rpms at times. then picks right up to 7-800rpm's. the idle is where it's weird. Im thinking I have a bad injector somewhere. (or a leak in the intake) the coils and plugs fixed a worse running idle and practically dying at times.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
Are you running a catch can?
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
no nothing unusual except the occasional cel. starts fine, runs fine, accelerates great. it does idle rough at light at around 4-500 rpms at times. then picks right up to 7-800rpm's. the idle is where it's weird. Im thinking I have a bad injector somewhere. (or a leak in the intake) the coils and plugs fixed a worse running idle and practically dying at times.
Mine started this way for a few months, then went full failure. I would definitely get it checked out.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
12blkgrayRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Camaro View Post
Are you running a catch can?
yes I am.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
12blkgrayRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
Mine started this way for a few months, then went full failure. I would definitely get it checked out.
Define Full Failure" also, my Stabilitrak service light went off on the freeway once. I don't know what's going on. My last 2012 Camaro didn't have these problems.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Define Full Failure" also, my Stabilitrak service light went off on the freeway once. I don't know what's going on. My last 2012 Camaro didn't have these problems.
The high-pressure fuel pump in the engine failed, would not idle correctly and was just leaking gas into the engine. My LTFTs were pegged at -40 (extremely rich), and the car would sometimes run-on with the key off. The stabilitrak is just something that happens when there's an issue. If the issues gets worse, you'll see the engine go into limp mode.

When I was having these issues, the only CEL that would throw a light was the P0300, but when I hooked the car up to HPTuners, there were plenty more CELs being thrown but not illuminating the light.

The tech that worked on my car let me know that there was probably a leak for a little while before it got bad enough for the pump to fail. I've attached a copy of the bill I paid, and I strongly recommend that you return the car to stock before taking it in, because they WILL blame the catch-can or intake.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
If I may, does it matter if the car is stock or not if it isn't warranty work? Like I had my motor replaced with all my bolts on still on, under warranty, and I could have gotten lucky, but this isn't that. I can't imagine there's warranty left on a 2012, so it hardly matters that it happened, only that it gets fixed.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
If I may, does it matter if the car is stock or not if it isn't warranty work? Like I had my motor replaced with all my bolts on still on, under warranty, and I could have gotten lucky, but this isn't that. I can't imagine there's warranty left on a 2012, so it hardly matters that it happened, only that it gets fixed.
They needed to "return to stock" during diagnostics and added 3 hours of work. I returned the whole car to stock in 30 minutes. At shop time, 3 hours of work is $$$ and if it can be avoided, you might as well try.

They tried blaming vacuum leaks on the catch-can as the cause for running rich.

Since this car is going in for a diagnostic issue, I think it's just best to let the tech properly diagnose from the start, instead of looking for issues with modifications.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
DSX_Camaro

All fair points. Just an honest question.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #12
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I wonder if the HPFP on these cars is marginal to begin with. At the high level of pressure these pumps have to operate at, maybe upgrading to a ZL1 pump would be good idea even if you were N/A as well.

When I'm at a light sometimes, my idle gets kind of goofy too. My intake and TB are clean as a whistle and I run both a catch can and a clean-side separator. No vacuum leaks either that I know of.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
I wonder if the HPFP on these cars is marginal to begin with. At the high level of pressure these pumps have to operate at, maybe upgrading to a ZL1 pump would be good idea even if you were N/A as well.

When I'm at a light sometimes, my idle gets kind of goofy too. My intake and TB are clean as a whistle and I run both a catch can and a clean-side separator. No vacuum leaks either that I know of.

The HPFP is good to just under 500whp. The in tank fuel pump can be a limiting factor though, and with the ZL1 pump being an easy modification, I kind of agree. I can't imagine it wouldn't give a little more overhead, especially with E85 - not that the stock tank fuel pump can't be used though.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #14
ChibiBlackSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Do you run a ported TB?