Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
Today marks 23 months of ownership exactly of my 2011 Camaro SS that I lovingly ordered back in April 2010.

6 weeks after taking delivery, I was rear ended by someone with no insurance. Hadn't even made my first payment. Well, got the Camaro all repaired and looking great, and then finally about 2 months ago, I got my deductible back from the other guys insurance.

This morning on my way to work, I am following a guy doing 30 in a 45 on his cell phone. Think to myself that he needs to put down the phone and think about driving. Anyways, I carry on, get in front of him and pull into the left lane of a 3 lane road to turn left onto a main freeway.

The guy on the phone is about 2 cars behind me at this point. I make my left turn onto Interstate 820, where there is a lot of construction at the moment. It's backed up. I slow down and come to a stop. The two cars behind me don't turn and carry straight on. The guy who was on his cell phone in his Jaguar makes the left turn and then just drives into me.

I get out of the car and look at him. He's still on the phone, and then he jams his foot on the accelerator? I'm like WTF? And slam both hands down on his hood to get his attention. He's all 'I know, I know, I did it, I did it'... I point to the construction zone and get him to pull in-between some cones.

I take all his details, he kept saying 'I know it's my fault, I know I did it' and then going on about his Jaguar not driving properly, and he pressed the accelerator and not the brake and things like that.

It's more frustrating than anything else. Not a lot of damage, looks like I should get away with no paint and just a new black diffuser that goes around the exhaust pipes. From what I can see, doesn't look like there's paint damage, but I'll let the body shop determine that.

I'm fine, and I'm not as livid as I was the first time this happened. The Camaro isn't new anymore, and it hasn't been since I was first rear ended. But it is MY Camaro, and I look after like it as best I can. The valance will get replaced and I'll move on, unless there is some other damage... not sure... I might be seeing things, but I am not sure if there is a crease in the rear drivers side fender.

This is where I wish that I could see about getting the SLP rear valance, but as I understand it, SLP don't sell that valance unless you have an SLP car. Shame, as that would look really nice on there!
JUst one thing ......the guy had no insurance , then you got the deductible from the other guy insurance ....?????? about it
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #30
Khmero215

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
trade your car in
Khmero215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #31
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
JUst one thing ......the guy had no insurance , then you got the deductible from the other guy insurance ....?????? about it
He already answered that one.....
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
Yellojacket

Drives: 2SS/RS Inferno Orange
All these distracted drivers tick me off. I was on the way home from work yesterday on the bike in bumper to bumper 3 lane traffic.. The dude in front of me was driving with full stereo headphones on and reading a map on his steering wheel. The guy in the next lane over was reading some report/stapled stack of papers on his steering wheel and the douche behind him was texting with his phone.. It's a wonder I made it home alive and unscathed...
Yellojacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #33
05mbm

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
First thing, Did you have your phone to record him saying 'Its his fault"? If not then it doesn't matter who's at fault. Second, you should always leave a way out or enough room to move up if a jerk wad decides to come up on you like that. That comes from riding motorcycles my whole life. Last but not least you should've rolled out of car screaming your neck and back hurt. You would be in a new car real soon.
Coming from a person who went through over 6 months of physical therapy and still to this day has pain. Screaming my neck and back would mean nothing. It takes forever to get anything from the soul sucking industry we call car insurance companies. I have been several months since I stopped physical therapy and still havent received 1cent. Now my lawyer sure has billed the heck out of me. My case is clear as day have 6 witness where the lady ran a red light. Texas has a lot laws and none seem to make it right for the person who was not at fault. All I want now is for all of medical bills paid. It is just such a pain in the ass.
05mbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #34
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
Looks like this'll be fun, got a call from his insurance broker, on my home phone while at work, and now am playing phone tag to try and get in touch with him. Hopefully I'll get to speak with him today to get the ball rolling on getting this repaired.

After washing the car yesterday, it looks like the drivers side rear fender might be slightly tweaked as well, so I want to get that checked out.

Question: So - being as it wasn't my fault and I am having to deal with his insurance, can I still take my car where I want to to have it checked out and repaired, or am I at the mercy of his insurance and where they want it checked out?

In the past, I've only ever claimed on my insurance before and paid my deductible to get my car sorted straight away and then had my insurance claim back from the party that caused the damage in the first place, and then get my deductible back a year or so later!
Built: 11/18/22
VIN received: 11/19/22
On a Train: 02/27/23
ETA: TBD

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #35
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
You should have called your insurance company and then have them deal with the other party's insurance company. Dealing direct with the other party's insurance company won't result in your best interests being addressed.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #36
CUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
You should have called your insurance company and then have them deal with the other party's insurance company. Dealing direct with the other party's insurance company won't result in your best interests being addressed.
I did call my insurance, but to have them deal with it, I have to pay my deductible...

2023 Camaro 2SS Convertible/M6/Shadow Grey Metallic/Adrenaline Red Interior/Carbon Flash Wheels/NPP
Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #37
Treefrog
U235 is fun!

Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisebo View Post
Although, on reason I moved from Idaho was the loud trumpet playing.
I don't get it??
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #38
TPAJETSKI

Drives: Camaro
When I got rear ended I went through my insurance and paid the deductible. It sucks but it was quicker than waiting for the other guys insurance to do anything. My car had less than 300 miles on it and I wanted it fixed. I'm also out medical bills until I can square up with the other driver's insurance company. I also want my dimminuation in value of the car.
TPAJETSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #39
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Y'all are correct, in rear end cases the rear is at fault unless determined to be opposite. Also, talking on the phone isn't illegal in Texas, but he could have gotten a ticket for disturbing the flow of traffic.

To the op, ask your body shop if he can replace it with a zl1 diffuser. My understanding is that the can replace it with any GM part.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #40
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
I can't stand people who don't pay attention to the road. Unless you're getting directions or something life concerning wait till you are where you're going to use your phone.

Everyday someone comes close to hitting me because they're on their phone and swerve into my lane. I honestly don't see how that is possible because in Florida we have reflectors in the road on the lanes too that you can feel and hear when you run them over.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #41
JN3WMN

Drives: 2010 2LT RS IBM
People are just idiots. My car was rear ended last week by a guy messing with his phone also.
JN3WMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
CUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN3WMN View Post
People are just idiots. My car was rear ended last week by a guy messing with his phone also.
That sucks. Sorry to hear that, hopefully it wasn't too bad.

I got in touch with the other guy's insurance adjuster and he's waiting on a statement from the guy who hit me. We'll see how long this takes.