Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
superminabina

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS
Exhaust for 2013 V6?

Hi Everybody,
I have read so many threads that I think I'm now more confused than ever.

Background:
I might as well say I know nothing about cars. Don't flame me for it. I have loved the Camaros since they changed the body style and have been hounding my husband since 2010 to buy me one even though my kids barely fit in the backseat... because they have legs. Got the car about a month ago. At the time the dual mode performance exhaust was an option at about 1K. We opted out of that car because it had a lot of other options that we didn't want. I have a 2LT RS. I noticed when I got the car that a little wind was taken out my sails because I think I loved the way it sounded.

That said I'm considering an axle back due to pricing and the fact that the sound is all I'm looking for. I've looked at the MRT 2.0 and maybe the dynomax? I want something that has a deep sound. Great start up and good when hitting the gas but I don't think I need my kids yelling at me just so I can hear them while cruising. I'd prefer it not to sound like I'm racing my car all the time. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
superminabina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Dynomax VT.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
I just checked out the Dynomax kit, seen here. Someone please explain to me how/why two mufflers and 2 feet of exhaust pipe costs $400?! I might be cheap, but that seems pretty crazy to me being that the "kit" seems nothing more that a couple of mufflers.

Wouldn't you get the same effect from installing a couple of flowmasters, which cost about $80-90 each?
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
You pay more cause with the kit its just cut off the old mufflers and clamp on the new...with mufflers, itll require adding piping and tips and labor for install...so itll end up almost the same....seeing as youre paying close to two hundred already just for the mufflers...for two hundred more you can cut and clamp on the kit in your driveway...unless you can weld and fit yourself.

And to compare, cat back cost close to double if not more and all thats added is piping from the cat. Converters to the mufflers...lol
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
The Dynomax mufflers are around $100 each by themselves. As mentioned above, add in pipes to fit and some tips and, well, there you are.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I opted for the MRT 2.0 after waiting for a Camaro Club cruise night. (I wanted to hear them in person) Not familiar with the Dynomax, but the MRT 2.0 has great sound, and at Highway speeds it's only a slight drone. Nothing to despair over. Plus, they look great with their mirror finish. 304 stainless will outlast the car. The car is actually my wifes, and she loves the way it sounds. You can install them in your own driveway. My son jacked up the back of the car, cut the old muffler off with a hacksaw and installed the new ones in less than an hour. Most of that time was finetuning the position of the tailpipes. Paid $525 plus tax and shipping. Forum members get a 5% discount if you ask for it.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Redliner1960

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS White w/Orange Stripes
I love my MRT 2.0's and from my experience they will perform as you are describing.

Bought mine from APEX... can't remember the exact price because I bought a CAI and catch can at the same time and got a discount.

Good luck however you decide to go!

CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catchcan, Pro Art Vinyl Front and Rear, MRT V-2 Axleback Exhausts,Oracle lighting and American Racing Torque Thurst Wheels
Team LLT - Proud Member of NEOCC
Redliner1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
I have the Dynomax Axle Back and it is without a doubt the throatiest and best sounding exhaust that has ever come from a v6 camaro. Another thing is you get 4 inch tips that look beautiful. Normal launches at low rpms sound sooo deep its insane. absolutely love the sound. it wont be raspy and i experience zero drone. i think i got mine off amazon.com for like 350.00! good luck! and also dont get the dynomax VT because they are prone to problems and arent as throaty (my next door neighbor has them) (PART NUMBER 39493)
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
superminabina

Thanks

Thanks so much for the replies. I can assure you that neither my husband or I would have any idea on how to install any of this ourselves. Luckily our friend, who used to work at Hennessey, has offered to do it. He suggested the Mrt2.

I emailed Apex earlier and he suggested that I might consider also doing the magnaflow x pipe in addition to the MRT. I forget why. Maybe to help with drone or to deepen the sound?

Thanks also for that heads up on the Dynamax VT, because that is exactly the one I would have ordered.

Another question. I'm not sure whether my friend will be clamping or welding. Let's just say I either trade this car in or god forbid give it to my daughter in 4 years , is it reversible back to factory? I'm thinking it is not due to the cutting involved. Does it decrease trade in or sale value later?

Thanks so much again.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
get the regualr dynomax ones. not the VT's Part number 39493
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
MRT V2.0 is what I have and I love them. You may want to purchase the X-pipe with it as a set because you can get a better deal with the 2. The reason for the x-pipe from what I read was that it will tame or mellow the sound or so-called drone at cruising. If you go the V2 route start by putting just the mufflers on and if you think it is to loud add the x-pipe if not sell the x-pipe here in the classified section. The last thing I would suggest is that once installed and you like them have the mufflers welded on. I know they are clamp on but I seemed to have the problem of the passenger side would rotate and the tips would turn up and touch the rear diffuser exit hole and would start to melt it. I paid a welding shop $25 and it moves no more.

Enjoy the car and enjoy the exhaust which ever one you get.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #12
superminabina

Thanks for all the help everyone. At this point it is still between the dynamax and MRTv2 but honestly the guy that is doing the install says he thinks the MRTv2 with the magnaflow X pipe is the best for what I'm looking for. I wish it was the price of a dynamax. I trust him because I'm actually buying all of it myself and he is just putting it on for me.

Thanks again,

Debbie
Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM   #13
kostnkost
Roof expert detail noob

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT RS
Let us know how you like either the Dynos of mrt's. I am looking for the same as you, and would hate any drone inside while driving as I travel 80 miles a day to and from work.

Also are there any DIY vids for the Dynos?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
MRT 2.0 with X-Pipe is the way to go.

Love my set up and I get complements on the exhaust sound all the time.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote