Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #85
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
I'm not sure what chassis or powertrain upgrades would drive the weight up. The supercharger of the LSA engine will add weight. On the other hand i would expect the
Z28 might have lighter weight wheels. The SS already has huge brakes and wheels so i don't expect those to be bigger on the Z28.
Beefier driveshafts/axle shafts; strengthened differential; different spring and shock rates; bigger swaybars; heat exchanger for the intercooler; bigger wheels/tires/brakes; better fuel system; all the plumbing for the heat exchanger/intercooler; and Lord knows what else. If we're seeing 6-pot calipers on CTS-V/Z06/ZR1, I have confidence with seeing calipers from the CTS-V, simply because the nearly bolt right up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
Well the V weighs in just over 4300lbs and still sprints 0-60 in 3.9-4.1 depending on who you believe. I've never tracked mine but I can say it's damn fast. So, if you piggyback the engine/drivetrain/brake combo from the V and come in at say, 4000lbs with a free-er flowing exhaust and a couple extra ponies found in that block, say 580-585 hp you're still telling the GT500 boys that you're here.
I heart you car, LOL! I'm sure there is a lot to be found in your Euro-spec-quiet exhaust
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #86
mondain

Drives: toyota
Am I the only one who doesn't see how this has anything to do with a Z28? He didn't even say "Z" or "28" all he did was wax poetic about how they want to match BMW. Am I missing something??

Not impressed, this isn't even news then.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #87
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see how this has anything to do with a Z28? He didn't even say "Z" or "28" all he did was wax poetic about how they want to match BMW. Am I missing something??

Not impressed, this isn't even news then.
Quote:
out of earshot of his PR handler, Stracke casually served up unprompted confirmation of the return of the Camaro Z/28.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #88
Qdiesel

Drives: 2011 Infiniti M56S, '04 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Beefier driveshafts/axle shafts; strengthened differential; different spring and shock rates; bigger swaybars; heat exchanger for the intercooler; bigger wheels/tires/brakes; better fuel system; all the plumbing for the heat exchanger/intercooler; and Lord knows what else. If we're seeing 6-pot calipers on CTS-V/Z06/ZR1, I have confidence with seeing calipers from the CTS-V, simply because the nearly bolt right up.

I heart you car, LOL! I'm sure there is a lot to be found in your Euro-spec-quiet exhaust

Thanks! Hell, if they can pull 20-25 hp out of that exhaust(I wish), an even 600hp is not out of the question. That is some real well wishing, though. A 600 hp Z/28??? hmmmmmm....
Qdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #89
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
I think everyone is being optimistic with the Alpha's "low weight". It remains to be seen just what that will be.
if they only shed 100-150 lbs then not worth the work. the weight savings has to be in the 300 range, keep in mind the chasis will be used for a 4 banger, as well, so it cant weigh to much. the malibu sedan has a 4 banger and it weighs no more then 3450lbs. yes i know different chassis, im just stating that since the chassis iss gunna be used for a 4 cylinder sedan then it cant weigh to much more then the malibu.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #90
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiesel View Post
Thanks! Hell, if they can pull 20-25 hp out of that exhaust(I wish), an even 600hp is not out of the question. That is some real well wishing, though. A 600 hp Z/28??? hmmmmmm....
Don't get me wrong. I don't even know if there's that much to gain out of that exhaust while still keeping the manifolds and cats'; I'm just saying It's my understanding that exhaust is around 2.5", so maybe coming up to ZR1-sizes would yield better flow. I can't say I wouldn't want a 600 horse' Z28, though I'm really only looking to get the car up to about 550-600 at the tires anyways, so it should be even easier to reach that goal, reliably, if GM can get the numbers that high
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #91
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #92
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
if they only shed 100-150 lbs then not worth the work. the weight savings has to be in the 300 range, keep in mind the chasis will be used for a 4 banger, as well, so it cant weigh to much. the malibu sedan has a 4 banger and it weighs no more then 3450lbs. yes i know different chassis, im just stating that since the chassis iss gunna be used for a 4 cylinder sedan then it cant weigh to much more then the malibu.
"Weight Savings" alone....isn't worth diddly.

They are going to use Alpha...which was designed to be a better overall chassis. Supposedly, a large portion of that is weight savings...but there are other things about it, I'm sure...that justifies its development cost.

Also -- you really can't compare the platforms...Malibu and Alpha...FWD and RWD have too many components NOT in common to draw comparisons. For example...if you take your comparison to the Malibu...add a V8, a driveshaft and associated powertrain components to make it to the rear tires...wider tires, bigger brakes, etc and a change in structure to compensate....You could very easily see 300lbs AT LEAST added to the weight of the car....fwiw

If the next Camaro is in fact on the Alpha platform...the best advise I think we could take is to pay CLOSE attention to the new Caddy insiders are referring to as the "BMW killer" because the cars will be very close automotive cousins....this new VP claims they will beat them with tech and weight savings....so take a 3-series...subtract weight....MAYBE.....
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #93
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Good to hear some more confirmation, even though details are still sketchy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova65 View Post
going to have to change the website to Camaro6 lol
Camaro6.com is already taken :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Alpha platform mean V6?
Why would it? Its a smaller lighter platform, but if it is going to be used for the next gen Camaro and CTS, it must support V8s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL View Post
So if the Alpha platform is smaller and lighter, a Turbo D.I. DOHC 3.6 liter V6 would be perfect for the 6TH Gen Z28.
It makes no more sense for the 6th gen Z28 than it does for a 5th gen Z28. A turbo6 will still weigh as much as a NA small block, get about the same mileage, and by then it will likely produce less power (unless its a 'super tuned' T6, then they'd be about equal). And it would do all that at higher cost than a GenV small block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfamous209 View Post
The problem is that a transverse mounted NA I4 exerts much less torque on a chassis than a longitudinal supercharged V8. It will have to be engineered for the 'worst case scenario', then everything less becomes easy to deal with.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #94
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Well I for one am very optimistic and excited about the Alpha platform. GM knows they have a winner with the Camaro! They are acting smarter than they ever have before. I have had the pleasure of working with tons of GM engineers, and they are beyond top notch. So when the Camaro goes to Alpha, they will kick some serious butt!.

Pedders has major experience with the Camaro, and now have a very serious amount of experience with the Mustang. There is a reason the Mustang is lighter than the Camaro. The Camaro is vastly more comfortable than the new Mustang. To get to optimum handling, we have a ton of expensive braces that need to be installed to create rigidity. The Camaro does not need any brace!

Sitting in the back seat of a Camaro is a little challenging for a 5 ft 9 guy like me. But once I am back there I am OK. But the Mustang!. I have more head room, but cannot put my feet on the floorboard.

So GM is way beyond Ford on body integrity!. So let the GM engineers do their magic and impress all of us with their abilities. Again, the Camaro is seriously too important to screw it up and they know it. So I am not worrried!

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:54 AM   #95
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Good to hear for the Z ... but WHEN? I'm so tired of waiting ...
Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #96
mondain

Drives: toyota
Yes I read the part about "out of earshot" but really, we don't know what was said or how it was (mis)interpreted. There's no quote, just some guy saying 'omg you'll never guess what I think I heard when no one was around to corroborate!'

Sorry, I am holding off my Camaro purchase for a Z28 so trust me I want this. I just am not getting excited over 2nd hand rumor anymore.
mondain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #97
camaro1324

Drives: none
When?
camaro1324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #98
BLUESMOKE69

Drives: Saturn Astra 08
This better be worth the wait. I have read a few articles on the the FORD GT500 2011 and it's going to be a bruiser!! I hope that GM won't try to compete with the GT500 and really build a car for the "purists". I'll take handling and braking power over brute power any time. My money is on the LS7......