Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
The Ratchet

Drives: 2011 RJT Vert 2LT/RS
I had a 69' L78 RS/SS where power steering wasn't even an option. Parking lots were such a load of fun to do slow speed maneuvers
The Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
Edwin320

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
disconnect power to the power steering and try it...anything under 10mph was almost impossible to turn. At 70ish mph, it wasn't horrible but still quite an effort. My previous car with power steering failure was much easier to turn (1968 Chevelle).
Think about all the leverage your ZL1's small steering wheel is giving up compared to the Chevelle's huge tiller, then factor in the large front tires on the ZL1. Loss of power steering on the thing would be no fun.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
bvcamaro

Drives: '12 LFX
Here's what's in SI right now...

Service Information

2012 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | Document ID: 2831254
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC5643A: PQC Part Restriction - Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Service Steering Message Displayed And Increased Steering Effort - (Apr 16, 2012)

Subject:

PQC Part Restriction - Electronic Power Steering (EPS) Service Steering Message Displayed And Increased Steering Effort

Models:

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update department contact information. Please discard PIC5643.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The DIC may display "Service Steering" in combination with an increase in steering effort and standard diagnostics may lead to steering gear replacement. As of 03/30/2012 Electronic Power Steering P/N 22848599 has been placed on restriction through PQC. This part restriction will allow Engineering to evaluate the fault while the steering gear is in the vehicle and prior to any repairs.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Important: Do not perform a Clear DTCs function.

Retrieve any stored DTC information from the Electronic Power Steering module. If any of the following DTCs are set (history or current) in the EPS module or you are unable to diagnose the cause DO NOT CLEAR DTC(s), STOP FURTHER SERVICE ACTIVITY, complete the questionnaire below and contact PQC for further action.

DTC C0569

DTC C0475

DTC C056E

DTC C0545

DTC C056D

DTC C055C

DTC C0544

For all other concerns where the above DTCs are not set, follow the published service procedures to complete the repair. Should the repair require steering gear replacement, contact PQC to review the diagnosis and order the part.

Please complete this questionnaire prior to contacting PQC.

Customer’s concern:

What is the customer’s description of the concern?

How many times did the customer indicate the issue occurred?

During which of the following driving condition(s) did the customer have a steering concern?

Low Speed turn Y/N

Straight-away Y/N

On a rough road Y/N

Was the concern temperature related? Y/N

Was the concern weather related? Y/N

Did the concern occur during an engine start (cranking)? Y/N

Please list any other conditions (if applicable) when the concern occurred.

What are the current and/or history DTCs?

Is the vehicle still exhibiting the customer concern? Y/N

Has the vehicle been modified with any aftermarket accessories or options? Y/N

What SI document number was used during the diagnosis?

Have the wires/harnesses been checked for proper routing and free from damage, stretch, pinch, etc.? Y/N (If no, perform this inspection prior to calling PQC.)

Have the wires been checked for any damaged, loose, or disconnected connectors? Y/N

(If no, perform this inspection prior to calling PQC)

Have any wire connectors or terminals been disconnected or loosened and then re-torqued? Y/N

Has the EPS supply voltage been checked on both sides of the EPS Fuse? Y/N

IF Yes, what was the voltage with ignition OFF? ___ Volts

(If no, you need to check and record voltages with ignition OFF prior to calling PQC. This fuse is not accessible; it is molded into the EPS power cable between the Battery Positive Junction Block and the EPS motor. Measure voltage at both ends of the EPS power cable)

Have you made any other observations or have any recommendations of what may be causing this concern?

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2012 General Motors. All rights reserved.
bvcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #18
bvcamaro

Drives: '12 LFX
lol that's gonna be a fun bulletin to follow! And then sit on the phone with technical assistance for 2 hours...
bvcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Since the bulletin asks if any mods are done, I wonder if GM could use it as an excuse to deny warranty coverage if the car showed that it has been tuned for example. Hopefully this wouldn't occur, but it would be something to be aware of.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I'd prefer a proper manual rack and pinion over electric steering
Old 05-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #22
2SSJIM

Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1 #1400
The smartest thing to do is take it to the dealer!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #23
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Ok...I removed the underbelly pan (16 bolts and 2 plastic buttons!) and checked the connections to the power steering going to the rack and tapped on the rack with a plastic hammer. Now, it works but I have no idea if this problem will recur. Nothing seemed loose and no weatherpack connectors appeared to have issues. I will have the dealer check it if I loose power steering again.
We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. The best thing to do is to take it to the dealership if this issue does happen again. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx View Post
I'd prefer a proper manual rack and pinion over electric steering
Correct me if I am wrong, but the rack and pinion is basically the "same" for any vehicle. This one uses electric assist vs belt driven pump assist.

Unless you want manual, back to the 60s, no power assist steering, I do not understand what you mean?
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #25
Silverguardrail

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
EPS is more efficient than traditional PS and they both can drive a rack and pinion assy

ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Of course I will check the basics of the wires and associated fuses first; however, a trip to the dealer may be necessary. I stopped to get gas and when I restarted the car, the steering felt totally unassisted and then the error message of "service power steering". I pressed the ONStar button and they had no info other than to be careful and they saw the same error message on their diagnostics. Darn it
what number car you have. just curious as mine went out for a couple hours at 60 miles on odometer. i let it sit in the drive and it fixed itself, hasnt happened again in 1600 miles
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but the rack and pinion is basically the "same" for any vehicle. This one uses electric assist vs belt driven pump assist.

Unless you want manual, back to the 60s, no power assist steering, I do not understand what you mean?
A manual steering rack, I am converting my s10 to it
Old 05-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #28
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
If the car is rolling pretty fast, you'd probably barely notice the loss of power assist...it's no big deal having no power steering above 15 mph.
lmfao!!! try driving one of these without the assist and report back to this thread.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote